Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

@thegas

Yea , you can jump the pump via the relays. Disconnect your injectors and have a tube running into a disposable gas approved container. BUT first contact your county and check for HAZARDOUS waste disposal , which is usually monthly.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My 91 sat with a full tank of ethanol laced fuel for several years and I decided to see what would happen it I just ran it and kept dumping FI cleaner and other additives into the tank as needed. It took about 15,000 miles or ~60 tanks of fuel for the crap in the tank to fully pass through the system to reach the point it was no longer necessary to add FI cleaner with each fill up. I still want to pull the injectors and have them professionally cleaned now that I am pretty sure they will stay clean.
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
to reach the point it was no longer necessary to add FI cleaner with each fill up.

I enjoy using Jectron as much as anyone, but I'm happy to avoid spending that much on it!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
My 91 sat with a full tank of ethanol laced fuel for several years and I decided to see what would happen it I just ran it and kept dumping FI cleaner and other additives into the tank as needed. It took about 15,000 miles or ~60 tanks of fuel for the crap in the tank to fully pass through the system to reach the point it was no longer necessary to add FI cleaner with each fill up. I still want to pull the injectors and have them professionally cleaned now that I am pretty sure they will stay clean.

Seems to me it would been okay continued to the use of the "ethanol laced fuel" for several tanks before beginning the FI Cleaner.

Five years ago, when I got my 89 it had been sitting for more than 18 months at a shop. It had been sitting in the guy's drive-way for almost a year before it was taken to the shop.

Once I got it running (long story in of itself), I ran 15 or 20 tanks of E85 thru it. Then, using FI Cleaner, I weened it off the E85. Of course, I changed the fuel filter several times but did not remove any of the injectors for inspection.

Anyway, seems the cob-webs, etc., all cleared out ... maybe just regular fuel and FI Cleaner would have done the job ... don't know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I want to paint one of my Westy tops with a supposedly heat rejection paint so I can do a side by side 'demo' here. I'd like to know what the square inches, feet, or meters of the fiberglass parts up top is so I can order the right quantity.

So, anyone calculated the area of the outside part of the Westy poptop and luggage rack?

-bobby
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

No, but I painted the roof of mine metallic silver.
Let me tell you, summer concerts are more enjoyable now that I'm no longer sheltering inside a Dutch Oven!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

So, anyone calculated the area of the outside part of the Westy poptop and luggage rack?

-bobby

Length times the width, so as a guess somewhere around 13.5' x 6.5'
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I used one quart of Rustoleum White Farm Equip paint on my roof.
This gave one coat with a tad left over.

If I had time, I should have done a second coat.

If I do, the total volume used would be about 1 1/2 qts.

The reduction in heat gain inside is nothing short of amazing!
and it cost me but $20 to date.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Here in Germany, one can buy a 'radiator reflector'. Essentially, it is a thin piece of polystyrene with silver foil on one side, and insanely sticky adhesive on the other, and it mounts to the wall, and reflects the heat back out to the room, instead of letting the {brick} wall absorb it all.

So, in addition to the Metallic Silver paint on the roof, I also have this applied directly to the interior roof. So, whatever heat radiates through the painted roof gets reflected right back out.

*Very* clever, if you ask me.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Tons have done it and it makes a huge difference. Did a trial a couple of weeks ago and when I get through with the welding, I'll use two part Hatteras Off White Interlux. Not as cheap as Dave's farm paint, but extremely tough marine polyurethane paint. High gloss for even more reflection and goes on with sausage rollers for a spray look.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I'm not electrical engineer inclined, so following the Bentley wiring guides has me absolutely lost.

1990 westy camper

I'm working to remove the relay under the driver seat and how I can run the sink/pump off LiFePo4 battery. There are 2 red wires going behind cabinets, come back out, through the mini 2 fuse panel and back into the cabinet area. My fridge is already swapped to truckfridge (running off aux battery). What I'm tring to figure out is which on the 6 red wires I can hack into to run off the aux battery (5 fuse block sub panel).

Additionally, I presume that same red line goes to the in tank water pump and water level LEDs on stove front?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I want to say, circuit #8 in the fuse block is a red wire. Clip that, and run a wire from the House Battery to it. It will make EVERYTHING not motor related run off the house battery.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
I want to say, circuit #8 in the fuse block is a red wire. Clip that, and run a wire from the House Battery to it. It will make EVERYTHING not motor related run off the house battery.

I know fuse 3 is the radio/interior lights, but thought the camper is fused off this box only as a run from the relay?
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I've procrastinated too long and looking for some help selecting a set of tires for my 2WD '85 westy.

It currently has Toyo Eclipse P215/60R16 M+S. They've been on the van around 5 years but sitting outside in the sun and not moved for several months at a time. It has a low speed (~25mph) wobble that someone suggested could be the unevenly aged tires.

I'm going to book it in for a tire change, balance and alignment and I'd like to know what The Samba folks would currently recommend and see if the shop can get those in and fit them.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with replacing tires that are 5 years old... But, the lumpy feel can go away if you drive it a while. Good pressure, do some tire 'warm-ups' like at the race track, on a hot blacktop road, maybe this will relieve the memory in the rubber and radial belts.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

X2 on what he said.
Give it a run up Graham Hill Road (after checking the tire pressure!) and back down 17, and then decide if they need replacing.
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Can I install the new intake and exhaust that goes with the turbo for the 1.9 Diesel engine without taking the engine out in my vanagon. I can’t wait to hear the turbo sounds. Pshshhssss sssss ssss. Weeeeee:)
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:
Can I install the new intake and exhaust that goes with the turbo for the 1.9 Diesel engine without taking the engine out in my vanagon. I can’t wait to hear the turbo sounds. Pshshhssss sssss ssss. Weeeeee:)

The 1.9 TDI in my Vanagon lays over on a 50 degree angle (same as in the original diesel Vanagons).

Anyway, it is very easy to access the majority of bolts, etc., from the bottom. I jack-up the Van then let it down on Jack Stands. There is more than ample space to work from underneath. And, it is not too high to address things from the top. But, lots of things can be removed, etc., from the top before putting the Van up on Jack Stands.

Of course, your circumstances may be different!
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Long shot here, but I did a stupid thing last night. I pulled my rear bumper brackets off the van because a few months ago I built a receiver hitch that I welded to the bumper brackets, and I wanted to remove the receiver hitch to paint it.

Well after painting it, as it was drying, I took the van for a drive. I forgot that the muffler hanger on the right side frame rail was one of the bolts I removed.

There is a spacer that goes between the muffler hanger and the frame rail, and of course it went missing on my drive. Anyone have an idea where I can get one? Or what the thing even looks like?

I was going to cut a length and thick wall pipe and use that as a spacer temporarily. Here is a picture of the are I'm talking about. You can see the 2 bumper mount holes, and the muffler hanger.

I looked online at the fiche diagrams and it doesn't show on the Rear Bumper diagram, or the Exhaust diagram.

Thanks!

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:
... I pulled my rear bumper brackets off the van.... I took the van for a drive. I forgot that the muffler hanger on the right side frame rail was one of the bolts I removed.

There is a spacer that goes between the muffler hanger and the frame rail, and of course it went missing on my drive. Anyone have an idea where I can get one? Or what the thing even looks like?

Is this on a non stock engine? e.g. an engine conversion?

AFAIK, the only Vanagon to have the exhaust attached to the body was the South African Vanagon with inline gas engine.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 132 of 193

Jump to: