Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
69tr6r wrote:
... I pulled my rear bumper brackets off the van.... I took the van for a drive. I forgot that the muffler hanger on the right side frame rail was one of the bolts I removed.

There is a spacer that goes between the muffler hanger and the frame rail, and of course it went missing on my drive. Anyone have an idea where I can get one? Or what the thing even looks like?

Is this on a non stock engine? e.g. an engine conversion?

AFAIK, the only Vanagon to have the exhaust attached to the body was the South African Vanagon with inline gas engine.

Neil.

This is a 1984 1.9l stock engine. The muffler hangs by a rubber strap to this bracket that gets bolted to the frame rail. I'll take a better pic over the weekend. Thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

You exhaust should only attach to the engine so that as the engine moves so does the entirety of the exhaust. VW did a really crappy job of designing the exhaust supports for the 1.9L engine so they tend to break frequently. I redid mine in a way that allowed the exhaust to move around a bit so it didn't put as much for on the brackets and never had another problem. I designed the brackets so the forces on them were nearly pure tension or compression and got rid of most all the bending moments, so they aren't very apt to break.
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

1982 vanagon with 1.9 diesel. What cold air intake did you use? Did you notice anything different from stock?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Stock, and no. I didn't.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I took a couple more pics over the weekend, showing the muffler hanger that is on my 84 1.9l. I'm not sure if this is stock or not. I ended up stacking a couple of large hex nuts to use as a spacer between the hanger and the frame rail.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Just fire your engine up and watch it move around as you rev it up sharply and then let off on the throttle again. Now imagine what it does when there is actually a load on the engine or when you hit a pot hole. At least by using a rubber strap, your hanger isn't rigid.

I know that when I bought my 83 1/2 POS, it had a hanger similar to what you have, but maybe a bit more rigid and the pipe entering into the muffler on the left side had broken off because of the bending moment the strap applied to the muffler.
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have a pic of what the muffler hanger should look like? Thanks
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Is it possible to kill a fuel pump?

Long story short, I drained my tank by jumping the relay, dropped it, re-sealed it, and put it all back together (with only minimal cussing).

Put the gas back in the tank, which wasn't much. Maybe a gallon. But it started up and drove around for like 10 minutes. The next morning it wouldn't start. It's very low on gas, but not fully empty. Could be out of gas, and I'll try filling it up more when I get home tomorrow.

What's throwing me off is that when I turn the key, the fuel pump doesn't prime. It also doesn't make any noise when I jump the relay leads. Could running the pump dry cause my old (most likely original) fuel pump to fry out?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:
Is it possible to kill a fuel pump?

Long story short, I drained my tank by jumping the relay, dropped it, re-sealed it, and put it all back together (with only minimal cussing).

Put the gas back in the tank, which wasn't much. Maybe a gallon. But it started up and drove around for like 10 minutes. The next morning it wouldn't start. It's very low on gas, but not fully empty. Could be out of gas, and I'll try filling it up more when I get home tomorrow.

What's throwing me off is that when I turn the key, the fuel pump doesn't prime. It also doesn't make any noise when I jump the relay leads. Could running the pump dry cause my old (most likely original) fuel pump to fry out?

The fuel cools and lubricates the fuel pump. If you ran it without fuel for a while it is possible it is damaged.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Cripes ok. I had to leave and didn’t have a lot of time for tests, but when I checked the hot wire for voltage with the key “on” there was nothing. Could that be a relay issue, or is that normal?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:
Does anyone have a pic of what the muffler hanger should look like? Thanks

Not the best picture, but here is what I had on my 83 1/2. There were two struts running back from attachment points on the case, and another that attacked to a bolt on the exhaust coming off of the #2 cylinder. It is altered a bit from the factory setup to make it so the struts had little or no bending moments on them, it gave me dependable service for 50k miles until the engine got replaced with a 2.1L which included the entire later style exhaust and mounting.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

This is certainly a stupid question, but I wanted to double check. Is there an acceptable range of PSI loss from a coolant pressure test? >1psi maybe?

I lost ~0.4psi over 20 minutes, starting dead center at 15psi.

I can't find any leaks, but the oil scum in the over flow tank (but the reservoir is clean) sure doesn't make a happy correlation. Smile

Edit: I pumped it back to 15psi and in 40 minutes it hasn't moved. I wonder if some air in the system compressed slightly. Either way, inconsistent behavior is not great.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Ambient Temperature fluctuations while change the pressure reading.

When the plumber plumbed in the water lines in our house, he sealed them off and pressurized with air. The pressure would go up and down with the swing in the ambient temp, as much as 10 PSI, especially on hot days from early morning to late in the evening!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The fact you got to 15 psi is enough. The system runs at 11!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I did it a 3rd time. Opened it to release pressure, pumped it to 15psi, and then left it for 4 hours. Didn't move at all.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I've got a not start issue, but don't know exactly what terms to search for to narrow down the issue. This is the '87, so Digifant.

I had no issues at all on my way home yesterday, a short drive of 6 miles. The last 2 miles I go very slow, to keep the gravel dust from churning up. Like under 10 mph. I left it outside to cool off, and later in the evening went to put it in the garage, when the issue came up. This AM, after having it on a battery charger overnight, same issue.

My question is what to call a no start that the engine can crank, the spark fires a couple times, and it seems like it should start because it ignites a few cylinders, maybe 3-6 little putts, and then it doesn't continue to fire. I've also tried just keeping on cranking, but that doesn't do any good. After the initial few putts, it will just keep cranking but not fire up any better.

I've got to leave it home today, I guess.. Just trying to do some research over today so when I get home I can dig the right direction.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

You need to figure out if the problem is spark or fuel. You can use a timing light on one of your spark plug wires to check for spark. How old are your plugs? If your spark is questionable, check your wires with an Ohm meter and do a visual check on your rotor and cap.

Have you been getting a lot of rain? Maybe you have gotten water into your fuel?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wildthings, thanks -- I will check spark and fuel tonight.

Plugs/rotor/cap/wires have 20K Miles. I recently got a full tune-up set so I am ready with parts. Two fuel pumps on hand. I'd have to scavenge a temp2 from somewhere, 'kuz I didn't think ahead on that...

Just comes at a bad time. My house is a mess and; Fathers day coming, Sister visiting from Seattle for a week starting tonight, Brother in law coming Saturday... oh, ya, and I am supposed to be in Denver for a Vanagons gathering with JoeTiger and Sanchius (+++) mid next week.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
This is certainly a stupid question, but I wanted to double check. Is there an acceptable range of PSI loss from a coolant pressure test? >1psi maybe?

I can't find any leaks, but the oil scum in the over flow tank (but the reservoir is clean) sure doesn't make a happy correlation. Smile

Edit: I pumped it back to 15psi and in 40 minutes it hasn't moved. I wonder if some air in the system compressed slightly. Either way, inconsistent behavior is not great.

id chalk it up to gauge inconsistency. that seems more than steady enough to me

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
larss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Hi, any one knows where I can find any DIY with photos how to remove and install all cabinets, shelfs etc for T3 Westfalia interior?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 133 of 193

Jump to: