Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Bently Bible.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jubbly Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

What's the best thing to use to insulate a fibreglass high top before covering in the three way stretch carpet stuff?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Ok .. weirdness: started by pulling relays in the engine compartment so I could jump the fuel pump. I decided maybe I'd just swap the relays and see if that made any difference. Nope.

On to step 2: got the timing light out and hooked to #3 by the Hall sensor. Hooked to alt for + and found a ground. Went to see if it showed flashes, I was planning to go around to each spark wire and see if one was gone, etc.. But, instead, it started right up. So, narrowing down to the left front of engine bay. Some wire on or near the Hall sensor on #3 plug wire or some other wire nearby is in need of a better connection.

Gonna have a bite to eat and let the garage empty of monoxide.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Some wire on or near the Hall sensor on #3 plug wire or some other wire nearby is in need of a better connection.

The wires going to the plug for the Hall Sender are tiny and well known for breaking and then giving intermittent contact.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I don't think this is stock.. ??? It goes around #3 plug wire.. Pesky!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Edit. Nothing like this on my '86

Appears to be part of the aftermarket CC... Nothing to do with my problem I'll bet.

Edit:

Okay, so goose chase on #3 wire, as that has to do with the CC.. Looking around I also put the timing light on all the other spark plug wires, found that the best one was #1 to be "making things work" like some kind of magic. Here is what I eventually found..

Alt + wire was toast.

Fixed that with a new lug, and it is solid now. starts perfect every time.

Last edited by bobbyblack on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I had been searching for literally hours the past couple of days looking for cup holder and/or storage console solution for Sinka. I had a great, free dumpster option when I owned Vanagon back in the '90s. Alas, it had bucket seats; Sinka does not.

The stupid question I found on Amazon and other sites for certain products was "Does this fit a <insert year> <insert vehicle>?"

The freaking ad would give the dimensions. Even I have a tape measure and know how to use it. And, yet, there would be pages and pages of the same type of question over and over again with the same answer over and over again -- "The dimensions are blah x blah x blah."

Maybe when my gizmo arrives in a day or two, the joke will be on me, but the same question repeatedly asked has me wondering about the human condition sometimes.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Okay, I have one of my own, although, "lazy" I'm not and perhaps it should be "ignorant person's question," but anyway ...

What is the little rubber doohickey that is just above VW-Volkswagen badge on the left rear, just above the Transporter badge on the right rear, and at the very top of both side gates facing the rear?

I am missing one, and don't know what to search for in order to buy one.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

(Somewhat off-topic.)

Trying to decode VIN on a '69 Type 1 Bug.
Decoder sites request 17 digits. I see only 9: 119XXXXXX, on chassis and registration.

I think the longer sequences began on later model years, as on my Syncro which has a 17 digit alphanumeric VIN.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The usual term to describe these is 'blind grommet'.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
Decoder sites request 17 digits. I see only 9: 119XXXXXX, on chassis and registration.

I think the longer sequences began on later model years, as on my Syncro which has a 17 digit alphanumeric VIN.

17-digit VINs started with the 1981 model year. The air-cooled section has a decoder somewhere.

fxr wrote:
The usual term to describe these is 'blind grommet'.

Okay. Thanks! If I can't find one specific for a single- or double-cab, I'll do a measure and search for something universal I can use.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobby black wrote:
.... Here is what I eventually found....

Alt + wire was toast.

That's great your engine starts but am I missing something? How would a poor D+ connection at alternator affect starting? Or was this a charging issue?

I was officially lazy in not reading every single word of your posts. Wink

Is it possible that D+ wire was shorting to ground and that affected engine starting?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
(Somewhat off-topic.)

The first number being a 1 indicates you have a Beetle and the third digit being a 9 would indicate you have a 1969 model year vehicle.

The second digit will tell you something about your model (like sedan verse convertible) but I don't know what numbers mean what, while the XXX are sequential.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I don't think this is stock.. ??? It goes around #3 plug wire.. Pesky!

Edit. Nothing like this on my '86

Appears to be part of the aftermarket CC... Nothing to do with my problem I'll bet.

Edit:

Okay, so goose chase on #3 wire, as that has to do with the CC.. Looking around I also put the timing light on all the other spark plug wires, found that the best one was #1 to be "making things work" like some kind of magic. Here is what I eventually found..

Alt + wire was toast.

Some sort of inductive pick up for a timing light, a tachometer, or cruise control even?
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Hello, I am an electrical beginner. I have been having a few starting issues when the engine is hot and I run into the store for a second that I have been trying to solve (checking connections, and grounds)

What is this attached to my starter? Is it a relay? An aftermarket solenoid? Is there a stock piece that I can replace this with?

Thanks!

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Jubbly Bug wrote:
What's the best thing to use to insulate a fibreglass high top before covering in the three way stretch carpet stuff?

Go to the high top topic. There are lots of good ideas there.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

ALstew wrote:
Hello, I am an electrical beginner. I have been having a few starting issues when the engine is hot and I run into the store for a second that I have been trying to solve (checking connections, and grounds)

What is this attached to my starter? Is it a relay? An aftermarket solenoid? Is there a stock piece that I can replace this with?

Assuming "attached" means "connected", yes. It's most likely a "hot start" relay and appears to be aftermarket.

The stock piece that would replace it would be a known good starter motor.

edit: .... and I don't mean that in a tongue in cheek way. Smile i.e. if starter is turning slow, issue could be starter, wiring, battery, etc. VW may have sold a Bosch "hot start" relay kit and may still? I see reference to a WR1 Bosch kit online. I'm sure our vendors sell similar or same hot start kits. That said, the blue part you show might be working fine.

Is starting issue due to starter motor turning slowly or not at all?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
Okay, I have one of my own, although, "lazy" I'm not and perhaps it should be "ignorant person's question," but anyway ...

What is the little rubber doohickey that is just above VW-Volkswagen badge on the left rear, just above the Transporter badge on the right rear, and at the very top of both side gates facing the rear?

I am missing one, and don't know what to search for in order to buy one.

This is the part number.... looks like they may be a bay window part as well

211 813 395 cover cap
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
ALstew wrote:

Assuming "attached" means "connected", yes. It's most likely a "hot start" relay and appears to be aftermarket.

edit: .... and I don't mean that in a tongue in cheek way. Smile i.e. if starter is turning slow, issue could be starter, wiring, battery, etc. VW may have sold a Bosch "hot start" relay kit and may still? I see reference to a WR1 Bosch kit online. I'm sure our vendors sell similar or same hot start kits. That said, the blue part you show might be working fine.

Neil.

Thanks for your help Neil! Attached means connected, correct. This only happens like 10% of the time, but the when it is hot the starter will not turn over. Going to have my starter rebuilt, but before I do I guess I will just remove this "relay kit" and see how it performs.
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Okay here’s three dumb questions.

1. My steering wheel makes a slight rubbing noise when turning. Is this normal?

2. I’m 6’ 2” and my steering wheel blocks the majority of the air coming out of the vents. Anyone have a good fix?

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

ALstew wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
ALstew wrote:
Hello, I am an electrical beginner. I have been having a few starting issues when the engine is hot and I run into the store for a second that

Neil.

Thanks for your help Neil! Attached means connected, correct. This only happens like 10% of the time, but the when it is hot the starter will not turn over. Going to have my starter rebuilt, but before I do I guess I will just remove this "relay kit" and see how it performs.

You're welcome ALstew.

I had a Bosch starter rebuilt. After that it worked fine about 80% of the time. Replaced the long cable from battery to starter. (it was fairly corroded) No improvement seen at starter. I don't know if an AutoZone type place offers rebuilts. That might be a less costly gamble than hiring a specialty shop to rebuild your starter, it that's what you're planning.

I'd suggest searching here for the Karl Mullendore adaptor. It allows the use of a more modern new, not rebuilt, starter. I did this with zero regrets. I can get a new starter replacement off Amazon for less than 100 USD last I checked.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 134 of 193

Jump to: