Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

What could I use to plug the holes with where the middle seat is? I think I read originally there were some plastic screws/plugs?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
harvgwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

What you can do for a plug is cut a bolt head off to make a stud, then with a hacksaw cut a slot in the top so you can install and remove it with a screwdriver. Put some anti seize or equivalent on the threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:
This is the part number.... looks like they may be a bay window part as well

211 813 395 cover cap

Thanks!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My steel power steering lines have rusted out. What are my choices?

'91 1WD ex-tintop.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Choices:

- used power steering lines from a part out
- replace with a hydraulic hose kit from vanagain https://www.vanagain.com/shop/power-steering-metal-line-replacement-kit
- cut out and weld the rusted section
- new metal lines from dealership??? Are they NLA?
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Hello,

Helping my dad with oil leaks. Fresh rebuild from a notable shop but they're not helpful.

For the leak coming from the head. Should I just follow the torquing sequence in the bently? Or is this a gasket issue?

The screen on the bottom of the block. Last oil change I inspected the gaskets and they looked fresh and reused them. I will try new gaskets, but if that doesn't work should I just silicone it closed?

also the valve cover cork gaskets, are you able to reuse those. Like if I just popped off the cover to check the torque, can I just reuse the gasket?

Thank you!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

You could retorque the heads, but its a lot of work as you have to remove the cylinder tin.

Yes you could use sealant on the sump cover gaskets. How tight did you tighten the nut? Too much torque on the nut and you crack the case meaning that you can no longer apply sufficient pressure to the gasket to get a seal. The acceptable torque is very low, something like 7-9 ft*lbs, not one of German engineering's better design features.
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I have a road trip planned for next week to go camping and mountain biking. The drive will be highway and over 200 miles each way.

What tools and spare parts would you bring for a trip like this? Keep in mind, I will be leaving in less than a week, so spare parts may be hard to get in time.

I've only owned my van for 6 months, and have only driven it about 1k miles so far. It runs fine, and I don't have any doubts about the van making the trip, and back. I'd just like to have a backup plan, and yes , I do have AAA, lol.

Thanks for the advice!
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

elyk wrote:
What could I use to plug the holes with where the middle seat is? I think I read originally there were some plastic screws/plugs?

That doesn’t look like it had factory seat tracks installed. They would have been sitting deeper into the floor. Maybe someone just sat tracks on the top and bolted them down? Because of this, the might not have used factory threaded holes. You’ll have to double check. Maybe it’s just bolts with washers on the underside? If you used carriage bolts, it would give you a fairly clean and flat finished look on the surface of the floor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:
I have a road trip planned for next week to go camping and mountain biking. The drive will be highway and over 200 miles each way.

What tools and spare parts would you bring for a trip like this? Keep in mind, I will be leaving in less than a week, so spare parts may be hard to get in time.

I've only owned my van for 6 months, and have only driven it about 1k miles so far. It runs fine, and I don't have any doubts about the van making the trip, and back. I'd just like to have a backup plan, and yes , I do have AAA, lol.

Thanks for the advice!

In your situation I'd bring a quart of oil, a gallon of water, a roll of rescue tape, and the AAA card and roll on down the road.

And consider taking the scenic off highway roads if you can. It will add less than an hour to your trip.

And up your AAA to Premiere coverage (200 mile tow) if you do not already have it. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I bought some of the metric bolts, but can't remember what size there were. If you go to a local hardware store that sell metric bolts, find one that fits. I cut them about ½" long and Dremeled a screwdriver slot in the top. Put them in with blue Locktite and have the tops flush and you're done.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Oops. Just noticed that Harvgwen already said that.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You could retorque the heads, but its a lot of work as you have to remove the cylinder tin.

Yes you could use sealant on the sump cover gaskets. How tight did you tighten the nut? Too much torque on the nut and you crack the case meaning that you can no longer apply sufficient pressure to the gasket to get a seal. The acceptable torque is very low, something like 7-9 ft*lbs, not one of German engineering's better design features.

Thank you!

The van needs a cold start valve so I may take it to Mesa west in Costa Mesa so they can address the oil leak as well.

Regarding torque, I torqued it to factory spec from the Bentley which wasn’t much.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

As above, plus a spare alternator/water pump belt and a spare ignition switch. Both of those are cheap and easy to replace, but can be show-stoppers.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

ALstew wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Thank you!

The van needs a cold start valve so I may take it to Mesa west in Costa Mesa so they can address the oil leak as well.

Regarding torque, I torqued it to factory spec from the Bentley which wasn’t much.

Did you do all 16 head nuts or just the lower eight?
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
69tr6r wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

As above, plus a spare alternator/water pump belt and a spare ignition switch. Both of those are cheap and easy to replace, but can be show-stoppers.

Thank you guys for the great advice! I bought a new belt. Probably not enough time to get an ignition switch, but I read up on it, and it seems easy enough to jump if it goes bad. I'll be bringing tools and some supplies too.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

400 miles? What shape is your car in? I routinely drive on 700 plus trips and other than the tools I need when I get to my boat, I don't take anything. A near miss or two, but it was wiring and was able to either fix or bypass. For example, a couple of weeks ago My powered steering lines failed with rust so bad, had it been a bridge, I wouldn't have let an ant go across. Took off the belt and kept going. A bad stagger in Maine. Bypassed the expansion tank that had a hole and was letting water in and replaced the tank when I got home.

Otherwise, you need an AFM, ECU, throttle body, shocks, springs, transmissions, starter motors, headlights and ad infinitum. The one thing I do take with me is my triple A phone number.

Duncan
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I installed the led headlights from gowesty onto my 82 diesel vanagon. They’re doing a lot of flickering and not staying on. My old regular lights get dim when I push the gas and then get real bright when I release the gas or downshift. I put 16amp fuses in the fusebox for slots 3,4,5,6. Because those fuses are for low beam and hi beam. But that doesnt fix the problem. Guys. What do I do please help.
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Idk what happen. But now they only turn off for a split second when I shift, use brakes or turn signal
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

You've got grounding issues. Take everything apart, sand it, reinstall. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 135 of 193

Jump to: