Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
You've got grounding issues. Take everything apart, sand it, reinstall. Good luck.

This… Rolling Eyes

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Hello all! First time caller, long time listener....

While looking at a few Syncros, I stumbled upon one that does not have any 'knobs', in fact- it doesnt have the typical syncro dash at all (with the blanks for the 3 knobs).

Is this an OEM option to not have any knobs or Syncro dash insert for a base model?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

AHeppner wrote:
Hello all! First time caller, long time listener....

While looking at a few Syncros, I stumbled upon one that does not have any 'knobs', in fact- it doesnt have the typical syncro dash at all (with the blanks for the 3 knobs).

Is this an OEM option to not have any knobs or Syncro dash insert for a base model?

Welcome! If it didn't come with front or rear lockers, it won't have the dash piece. The wiring to the back for the rear locker is present, though.

For example:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajabones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My syncro Doka came without diff locks
All the wires for front, rear & decoupler
Were there
I got a dash console
I have a 3 knob now
Solid shaft
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Changed motor mounts on 82 diesel vanagon. The top bolt on top of the mount that holds the arm broke off. Guess I need a new mount? No quick fix probly. Idk
medicmaniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

What is this to? Radio? Underneath rear bench seat of 89 vanagon

Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

medicmaniac wrote:

That is the connector to the blower fan of the rear heater.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:
Changed motor mounts on 82 diesel vanagon. The top bolt on top of the mount that holds the arm broke off. Guess I need a new mount? No quick fix probly. Idk

Broken bolts can always be repaired.
It may not be quick,
It may not be easy,
But
It can be done.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
medicmaniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
medicmaniac wrote:

Thank you Howesight!!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

medicmaniac wrote:
Howesight wrote:
medicmaniac wrote:

Thank you Howesight!!

A handy thing with this is if the rear heater has been deleted this harness brings switched power to under the seat. The switch is the blower switch on the left of the climate controls. Multiple uses for the creative. Or it can be taped up and stashed under the sub-floor for the next owner.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Ok, I found a couple things while doing some service work to my recently acquired 84 tin top.

First is this small canister located near the airbox, with what appears to be a small vacuum line, that is not connected to anything. My airbox is removed because I was replacing fuel lines and spark plugs. Ignore the electrical connector that is unplugged and right behind the hose in my (bad) photo. It makes it look like part of what I'm trying to show.

Second is an electrical connector found in the engine bay. My van has the Behr AC system, and it is missing the compressor. Could this be for the missing AC compressor?

Also, should there be a plug covering that hole, just ahead of the connector, in my engine case? I can see right to the flywheel in there.

Thanks!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

^^^Regarding the first, my wild guess is that it's from an oem cruise control. Regarding the second, that gets every single Vanagon owner at some point: it's a diagnostic plug that is unused during normal operation.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
^^^Regarding the first, my wild guess is that it's from an oem cruise control. Regarding the second, that gets every single Vanagon owner at some point: it's a diagnostic plug that is unused during normal operation.

If it is for a cruise control, wouldn't I have controls on a stalk off the steering column?

Good to know about the diagnostic plug, thanks!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The other hose, big clear one. That has all the answers on it's side. Likely some PO adapted another kind of evap, or such device, and the hose you are asking about went to that..

I once used something like that in my Beetle days, made a canister that sent evaporated water into the intake.

I might start experimenting on that again some day. It had some interesting effects on cylinder head temps.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I haven't been on samba since before the pandemic started. Hope everyone is doing well.

Today I did some deferred maintenance on my Vanagon and noticed some rust spots peeking out from under the luggage rack.

I already sanded them. What would be the best touch up paint to use?

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

They are not sanded unless they are shiny. If there is still some rust around the edges, first hit it with a rust converter paint.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

"What would be the best touch up paint to use?"

A technique I have employed for localized rust repairs:

At the first appearance of rust I apply Loktite Extend Rust Neutralizer. This turns the red rust black, and will buy some time.
Next, sand the affected area to bare metal. Feather around this a half-inch or so with 600 grit or finer wetordry paper.
Another application of rust converter will treat any remaining rust pits. (If necessary you can fine sand again.)

Apply Prep Sol or equivalent to remove contaminants from surface.

Mask to prevent over spray. I use painter's tape and clear plastic food wrap.
The trick here is to apply the tape OVER the feather-sanded transition, but not contacting that surface. This allows some light coverage at transition.
A couple of light coats of automotive primer can now be applied.

Wet sand the primer. Clean and dry thoroughly, degrease, and and reapply masking as above.

Now it's time for paint!*

A couple of light coats, followed by somewhat heavier coats.
Allow some time between coats to let the paint "tack-up."
You can remove the masking after an hour or two. Be careful not to disturb the new paint.

After the paint has thoroughly dried, you may wet sand w/ extra-fine wetordry- just enough to remove slight imperfections in the new paint, and smooth the transitions. (This is where you will appreciate the masking method detailed above. There will be no abrupt stop off.)
Light polishing compound will restore gloss after color sanding.
Depending on the condition of surrounding paint you might opt to polish the entire panel. If so, do it in stages--its a big job...

In a month or two you can apply wax/sealer of your choice.

Take your time- prep is about 90% of the job.

*If you have OG enamel paint or an enamel respray, you can use spray bomb touchup enamel, color matched to your paint code offered by a Samba Classifieds advertiser.
If your paint is clear-coat or poly, seek professional advice for appropriate topcoat products.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thanks BCE.

I bought the Loktite Rust Neutralizer. Sanded thoroughly. Put on a coat. Waited. Put on second coat. Waited. Painted it white. I didn't bother to sand or finish after the white since it's pretty much all under the luggage rack. The white was an arctic whereas my west is more ivory. There will be a tape line about 1/4-1/2" under the luggage rack seal. I think only the Vanagon obsessed will notice. Waited all after noon. Waxed it up. Will put rack on tomorrow. The tie downs were rusty so I shot them with the Rust Neutralizer and some black. Waxed up the whole rack and will reinstall tomorrow. That ought to work for now....
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I'm looking to add a tachometer to my 84 tintop, stock 1.9 engine.

I've read a few topics about tach's. I would love to have a stock tach, but not interested in buying a $500 part.

I've seen some really nice installs of factory looking aftermarket tach's. Again, way too much money for me.

What's the best way to put a cheap tach in my van? I don't mind a little digital unit that sits on top of the steering column, if it's cheap.

I would just like to know what my engine is doing back there, ya know?

Thanks!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I may have a red spare tach. PM me

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 136 of 193

Jump to: