Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Drove the Syncro to work this morning.
At lunchtime it cranked but no start.
Checked fuses- OK.
Listened to fuel pump- inop.
Whacked the pump (to encourage it.) Nope.
Checked terminals- OK.
Checked current to pump- none.

Stymied.
Fuel pump relay?

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

^^^ Yes, could be.

Try swapping it with the other one in the same relay box & report back.

Could also be the dedicated pump ground near the fuel tank...feel free to add a solid new ground anywhere on the frame. Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

^^^ Yes, could be.

Try swapping it with the other one in the same relay box & report back.
Relay box factory location was on driver side of engine well I believe. It was apparently relocated (deleted) by P.O. during Subie conversion to make room for air filter box.
Current location is unknown.

I will see if SmallCar can help.

LATER: Mao at SC says "fuel pump relay is on the Subie ECU board. There are two relays- the round, silver is fuel; the rectangular, brown one is "everything else." They should both click when ignition is switched on."

LATER ER: Bought a relay from FLAPS (JIC I got lucky.)
Checked the relay, it clicked when ignition switched to RUN.
Now what?
Wiring fault between relay and pump?
Crying or Very sad It would have been a relatively painless fix.

EVEN LATER:
Double checked, both relays (fuel pump and main) click when key on.
No CEL.
But OBD II scanner does not come on, with or without key on...

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smeeegheeead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

86' 2.0 with an automatic transmission.

New high torque cool guy starter has one spade connection whereas the prior starter has two. Do you only run the black/red connector and the other is negated now or? Seems weird.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

just attach both the wires to the single spade
smeeegheeead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
just attach both the wires to the single spade

See, I was thinking that.. then thought "It's a, VW it's never that easy." But here we are.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I think the second wire just tells the ECU that the starter is engaged, so the current flow is nil. The extra terminal-circuit comes in handy when the loads on the second wire are higher as they are in some applications.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Why doesn't my 1990 dash have an OXS label? I've only got 4 logos/labels/stickers
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Bentley 97.211--What do the initials NSL on the headlight switch stand for? Is there a switch terminal for this connection and what would it do? I understand it would be routed through the ignition switch and not be active during starter cranking. Perhaps trigger an additional load reduction relay?
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Nebelschlussleuchte = rear fog lamp

The light switch triggers an optional relay to enable power to the optional fog light switch.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Tnx T3 Pilot. I'll use that When I rework the ignition/start circuit. Haven't checked the switch yet, but will look for that marking. I could use that lead for when I get around to reworking the ignition/start switch. In the meantime this is the light switch I'm going to use. Check out the beefiness of the dash light dimmer. This shouldn't experience the failures the OG dimmer is subject to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
Why doesn't my 1990 dash have an OXS label? I've only got 4 logos/labels/stickers

Because VW eliminated the OXS mileage counter box in late 1987, after equipping their vehicles with a 3-wire O2 sensor, which also increased the change interval from 30,000 miles to 60,000 miles.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:

Because VW eliminated the OXS mileage counter box in late 1987, after equipping their vehicles with a 3-wire O2 sensor, which also increased the change interval from 30,000 miles to 60,000 miles.

My 91 had the counter box. After the light came on while I was changing lanes on a dark rainy night on an interstate bridge during rush hour, the counter (a true IDIOT BOX) got disabled.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The "idiot box" as you called it was required by federal regulation not the whim of VW. Its' elimination was triggered when emission components were first required to be warrantied for 100k miles thus moving the cost for replacement of the 0² sensor to VW. All of a sudden they lasted longer, read between the lines 🤑.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Replaced my windshield wiper switch as my 30 year old hi/lo beam component had failed after repair. $75 plus shipping. Came a week later from Rock Auto. Very flimsy compared with the OEM part. My guess is RA price would have been less than half. First time ever BD has let me down. Very disappointed

But never the less, when looking at the OG part I noticed these contacts. There are two fixed ones on either side of the center contact. Bottom one doesn't show. No matter how I articulate the lever, I can't get the the center to contact either of the fixed portions.

What does this do? What is the intent and how does it ever make contact?

dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Washer motor contact. Also turn winpers on for 2 strokes or so.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thnx
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Tnx T3 Pilot. I'll use that When I rework the ignition/start circuit. Haven't checked the switch yet, but will look for that marking. I could use that lead for when I get around to reworking the ignition/start switch. In the meantime this is the light switch I'm going to use. Check out the beefiness of the dash light dimmer. This shouldn't experience the failures the OG dimmer is subject to.

Just FYI ... The quality of those chinese switches are JUNK !! you better order a spare
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Robsmaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

So…
I’ve been stuck waiting for parts for a couple of weeks from GoWesty. I got my little beauty of a restoration project from a neighbor - where it sat for 16 years. I got the engine to start (after changing all the ignition components, fuel lines, fuel pump, etc…). Could only run it for 30 seconds because I have no coolant. But I have decent compression and when it does run it sounds great!

Now I’m waiting on gowesty for a radiator and associated other suspect coolant hoses, a new pop top, an ATF cooler kit, front and rear wheel bearings (so I can’t work on the brakes past where I have gone), oil sensors, coolant sensors, wheels and a slew of other stuff.

WHAT ELSE CAN I WORK ON whole I wait? It’s been a couple weeks since my order so I’m sure they will ship soon. But..

There must be something I can tear apart and clean without any parts in hand that would be a great idea. I thought about trying to tear apart the propane system and see if the tank is worth saving. Any other ideas? I’ve literally cleaned and painted every component I’ve removed with the intention of putting back on. Even my new front brake calipers are RED!! Any ideas??
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

A few WEEKS?!

Dang!
GoWesty has always shipped slow but weeks??!

I might be doing sone order canceling and shopping BusDepot, VanAgain or Van Cafe!

Wheel bearings and seals are often easy to get from your FLAPS.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 138 of 193

Jump to: