Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robsmaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Well, its tough times with the pandemic and finding workers, etc.. haven’t wanted to be a jerk and call them and whine. And they say on the customer service message right now that they won’t answer any questions about orders. It’ll come when it comes - I’m sure they are super busy and crazy right now. If I haven’t seen it in another week or so I’ll give em a ring - lol.

I’ve gotten a fair amount of stuff from busdepot in the intervening time. But some stuff looks higher quality from GW.

I just had a weekend without kids and thought I’d try to get a little more restoration work done!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Rear brakes : change cylinder, shoes, hardwqre kit
All 4 brake hoses
Clean all grounds
Robsmaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Jeez - rear brakes were literally clumps of rust. Removed completely and waiting on the rear brake kit from rmw. Also waiting on new SS hoses! And my new ground straps are in the delayed GW order!!!

Just can’t win!!! Patience is the key I think!!!

But, at least I’m on the right track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thnx Turbotype1. All my switches only feed relay coils so even a crappy switch should work. However, all this is prototype work to provide proof of concept and I very well may need something different. Cole Hersey has good switches, but haven't researched to find out if they have a dimmer coupled with one.
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I've had my van for about 9 months now, and I'm really loving it!
I've taken it on a couple of 200 mile out of state trips so far.
The issue I'm having is the last trip we used a bike rack that I built, and hangs the bikes vertically. The rear disc brake and wheel of the yellow bike in this picture got coated with engine oil. The bike on either side seemed to have a little oil on the rear brake disc. The far right bike had no issues. I'd be surprised if the oil were coming out of the exhaust, but maybe it is and blowing right on the yellow bike area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also notice a little puddle of oil that the van leaves when the engine has been running at highway speeds, then I park it. It leaves the puddle almost instantly, and it's about 3 inches in diameter. It doesn't drip after that, and I notice no oil loss on the dipstick. Bottom of my engine is oily, so it's hard to see where this oil could be originating from.

Any thoughts on what could be misting oil out of the back, and leaving a little puddle?
Thanks!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Is that where the oil cooler would be? Check it, I've read that it's common for the seals to fail.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Get the bikes off the back, drive it up on some blocks to where it's easy to get underneath, and open the top engine access as well and see where the oil seems to be coming from. With no fan and not moving the oil should run close to straight down from wherever it is coming out. If the oil isn't leaving a trail, you may need to clean off the grime and even use fluorescent dye.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Front main seal
Rear main seal
Oil pressure sending unit
Oil cooler
Oil filter
Push rod tubes
Oil drain plug
etc., are all possibilities...

As Wildthings said, up on blocks/ramps to observe while engine is idling!

Check the oil level and don't let it run low.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

on another note the exhaust heat could damage those bikes if they are carbon or carbon wheels
https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a29002171/your-hitch-rack-might-be-damaging-your-carbon-wheels/
Rear discs
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

space wrote:
on another note the exhaust heat could damage those bikes if they are carbon or carbon wheels
https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a29002171/your-hitch-rack-might-be-damaging-your-carbon-wheels/

Thanks Space. Here is a better view showing how far the wheels are from the exhaust. Pretty far. Trip was great, no problems except for the oil coating, which we solved by tying plastic bags over the rear discs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Front main seal
Rear main seal
Oil pressure sending unit
Oil cooler
Oil filter
Push rod tubes
Oil drain plug
etc., are all possibilities...

As Wildthings said, up on blocks/ramps to observe while engine is idling!

Check the oil level and don't let it run low.

Will check out all of those things, thanks AndyBees and Wildthings. The thing is, I can drive the van around town all day, and it doesn't leave a drop of oil anywhere.

It only seemed to happen when pushing hard on the highway, then coming to a stop, it would instantly leak a little bit. Then no drips at all.

I added a 1/2 quart of oil over my 8 months of ownership. That's all it has needed over that time.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:
Will check out all of those things, thanks AndyBees and Wildthings. The thing is, I can drive the van around town all day, and it doesn't leave a drop of oil anywhere.

It only seemed to happen when pushing hard on the highway, then coming to a stop, it would instantly leak a little bit. Then no drips at all.

I added a 1/2 quart of oil over my 8 months of ownership. That's all it has needed over that time.

A friend of mine had automatic transmission fluid leak that blew out the back at highway speeds. It was not a Vanagon, but might be worth checking the trans.
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
69tr6r wrote:

A friend of mine had automatic transmission fluid leak that blew out the back at highway speeds. It was not a Vanagon, but might be worth checking the trans.

I should have mentioned, it is a manual trans.

Thanks!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Unless you've not mentioned it, if the oil was coming out the exhaust pipe, well, there would be an unbelievable amount of smoke.

My old 83 (mothballed now) had a broke ring which I did not know. It was blowing (leaking) a bit of oil... about one quart per 1500 miles (more or less). Well, believe it or not, we headed out for Alaska (1997, rushed planning trip on the spur of the moment). I figured I'd just have to keep dumping in oil up and back. LOL, that did not work out too well. The ring apparently broke in several pieces and I was literally dumping in quart after quart as it was blowing oil anywhere possible, but no oil out the exhaust pipe or smoking. Ended up pulling the engine in Delta Junction, Alaska to do the repairs. (that's the very short version of the story)

So, again, I seriously doubt the oil is coming out the exhaust.

Oil pressure is putting it out somewhere .. up to you to find the location!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:
except for the oil coating, which we solved by tying plastic bags over the rear discs.

That's always an option. I would also add large mud flaps to the rear. It really cuts down on the road grime getting blasted on to your bikes. https://www.vancafe.com/996075106-p/996075106.htm (A little alcohol can take the white logos off np.)

Oil leaks come from a lot of places. You should get ramps, rhino ramps are good, and then spend some time cleaning the underside. Put down a tarp, wear a full face covering!, get 6 bottles of brakekleen, a tub of degreasing towels, a roll of paper towels, and some scrub brushes. Then go to town. Really get it clean under there.

If everything is dirty and greasy you'll never spot a new leak. It could be the valve cover gasket, the oil heat exchanger, the transmission, even the oil drain... There's a lot of spots.

If my Magura pads get touched with a breeze that was in the vicinity of oil I toss them and buy new ones. My Saints or Code Rs are a lot more indifferent but I wouldn't be risking it.

Nice rack for a home brew!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Try it with a half quart oil low on the dip stick and see what happens.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Note that if you have a '86 and later bus with a 2.1L engine you will have two oil pressure switches. I have seen the switches only leak after driving long distances and highway speeds.
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
69tr6r wrote:
except for the oil coating, which we solved by tying plastic bags over the rear discs.

Oil leaks come from a lot of places. You should get ramps, rhino ramps are good, and then spend some time cleaning the underside. Put down a tarp, wear a full face covering!, get 6 bottles of brakekleen, a tub of degreasing towels, a roll of paper towels, and some scrub brushes. Then go to town. Really get it clean under there.

Nice rack for a home brew!

I will probably have to get in there and clean the engine up to see what's seeping.

The rack worked great! Thanks 4Gears!
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Stupid question...
Anyone have a 2wd moustache bar loose outside the van ?
Can someone.measure how wide it is center to center of the mounting holes to the frame rails ?
Or,.outside to outside of the feet that mount to the rails ?

Also wondering about the arrows, do they point to the front of the vehicle ? I assume they do but ...it's dumb question time.
Thanks !!
jb20thae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Cigarette lighter:

I'd like to replace our shallow/loose oem lighter socket in the dash with the following. Would this be a direct plug/play or is there a 4th wire needed for the amber ring (see pics)?:

https://www.amazon.com/YANGCAN-Cigarette-Lighter-Assembly-Passat/dp/B014EPO2XC/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 139 of 193

Jump to: