Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

patrickgreen wrote:
This question may or may not belong here.
Having problems with my alternator not charging. Bought a new one and still have the problem. Will it show charge at the battery with a bad ground? I have looked and it seems ok? Just trying to figure this seemingly simple problem out.
82 diesel Westy with a brand new 65 amp Bosch alternator.

Thanks in advance.

Every connection in your high amperage starter-alternator-battery loop must be good for the system to work well, this include the ground side of the loop including the transmission ground strap. Do a good job of cleaning the connections and treating them with dielectric grease and you will get years of trouble free service, while if you half arse your work you will get to spend a lot of time sitting in a windy parking lot somewhere trying to get one more start out of your prematurely damaged starter and battery. If either of your battery cable has the junky replacement style ends, then toss them in the garbage and get new cables.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wild Things nailed.

9 years ago, I finished the TDI install in my 84 Vanagon ....... from day one, I had starting issues! The issues lasted for almost 18 months.... very long story!

The ground cable connection on the transmission up by the mount, wasn't good. The starter was sucking practically all of the ground. The ECU for the TDI engine wasn't getting the proper ground which resulted in long cranking starts time and again. As I said, very long story chasing practically everything. Anyway, this is how I discovered the problem, with the door open and Van parked, I used a very long battery cable to make a direct battery ground connection to the engine block. Boom, boom, boom, the engine started every time without hesitation!

One last story ....... a friend of mine spent almost $500.00 chasing a no start due to a bad ground on his 90 Carat (his mechanics spent his money). I repaired the butcher job they done on the wiring, cluster, etc. The ground on the left side of the engine bay to the ECU/Fuel Injection wasn't making good contact...... really, no contact! ........ All as a result of installing a new left tail light assembly which is also grounded at that spot.

Grounding completes the circuit ......... check your grounds!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Anyway, this is how I discovered the problem, with the door open and Van parked, I used a very long battery cable to make a direct battery ground connection to the engine block. Boom, boom, boom, the engine started every time without hesitation!

This has become a new favorite diagnostic of mine. Mom's diesel John Deere tractor wasn't starting. My brother-in-law wanted to ship it off to the shop for work (he doesn't do cars/tractors). I futzed with it, saw the tired looking 30 year old ground cable, used jumper cables to connect the battery to the engine black and bam! A trip to Farm and Fleet for a new cable and the problem was solved.

This is new to me since learning about bad grounds here.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I like that your Mom has a John Deere tractor, does she have a favorite gun as well?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this AC compressor related? Both red wires running out of the red arrow go to sheathing and back thru the firewall. The blue arrow is a insulated female bullet connector. Just finishing up after h2o replacement.\Thanks
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Chestercopperpot wrote:

Is this AC compressor related? Both red wires running out of the red arrow go to sheathing and back thru the firewall. The blue arrow is a insulated female bullet connector. Just finishing up after h2o replacement.\Thanks

I don’t know what engine we are dealing with here, but I know that the 2.1 has a second wire to the A/C clutch that tells the idle control system to pick up the pace! The A/C Compressor is on!

Maybe the 1.9 has a similar setup?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I was washing the pop top to prepare to apply some penetrol. I noticed in the gap between the hatch and body a bunch of gunk and road debris collecting. As I was scrubbing with a sponge the gasket of goop (on top of the fasteners for the curtains) disintegrated.

What is the amazonable name for the goop they used to form the gasket on the otherside of the fasetener? Is it just RTV gooped up and let to dry?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Edit: Added a picture incase I made zero sense. There looks to be 3 up there that could use fixin

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

“Dum Dum” strip caulk
A 3M product available at parts store everywhere

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
“Dum Dum” strip caulk
A 3M product available at parts store everywhere

Thank you! Looks like I will have A LOT of excess. If anyone needs some free pick up in Northern VA lol.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Yesterday I was faced with a brake wheel cylinder replacement project. I had gotten a metric set of flare wrenches a couple of years ago, but to my amazement, none of the wrench sizes were correct. I checked with my normal set, and an 11mm wrench was the size I was in need of. I used a bit of heat and finesse, and was able to get the hydraulic line to NOT strip off with the normal 11mm wrench. However, today, seeking the 11mm flare at several hardware and farms equipment tool stores, I certainly did NOT find any 11mm flare wrench.

What gives? I used a metric to SAE calculator, and got the closest SAE one, but I just don't get why there is not an 11mm flare in a set, and none to be found on shelves either..

EDIT: found a set on Amazon with an 11 included.. only $50, sheesh
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Yesterday I was faced with a brake wheel cylinder replacement project. I had gotten a metric set of flare wrenches a couple of years ago, but to my amazement, none of the wrench sizes were correct. I checked with my normal set, and an 11mm wrench was the size I was in need of. I used a bit of heat and finesse, and was able to get the hydraulic line to NOT strip off with the normal 11mm wrench. However, today, seeking the 11mm flare at several hardware and farms equipment tool stores, I certainly did NOT find any 11mm flare wrench.

What gives? I used a metric to SAE calculator, and got the closest SAE one, but I just don't get why there is not an 11mm flare in a set, and none to be found on shelves either..

EDIT: found a set on Amazon with an 11 included.. only $50, sheesh

A 7/16 should work fine but even my go to brand, Tekton, isn’t carrying an 11 mm flare in their set. Oooof.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I tried searching this, but I don't even know what it is called. I tried vanagon rear bumper flap thiny and all the results were mudflaps. Its the plastic or rubbery flaps that attach to the body. It tucks under the top of the fiberglass bumper. I can see where they poke through beneath the back of the tail lights inside the engine bay.

What are these flappy things called? And what purpose do they serve? I just see dirt and leaves stuck between it and the body.

do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

No idea what that stuff is called, but, I used bottom garage door seal to replace the original stuff. You can get 9' lengths from the big box stores for about $10, and it allows you to run it across the entire back.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

You are right. I couldn't find any mention of it either. It keeps road crud from getting all over the back tin. If you don't have one a junkie would, but a piece of inner tube might be able to be sandwiched under the lip of the bumper and work too.

Duncan
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
What are these flappy things called? And what purpose do they serve?

VW simply called it "trim". More info here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731662 .

I removed mine years ago & have seen zero difference... in fact, I prefer not having them in place.🤷🏻‍♀️
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Ya all I see is crud in between the trim and the body. One apiece appears to have a screw in place of it. Did you fill the holes back in with a rubber plug or anything? Or do they make you go faster ? I'll give the front and back a wash and decide what to do about them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Maybe a piece of butyl tape, elizer?
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

elizer wrote:

What are these flappy things called? And what purpose do they serve? I just see dirt and leaves stuck between it and the body.

the official name is: trim but sometimes called infill piece
partnr: 255807397
clip partnr is: 161807806
Some european vendors have them in stock.
Its function is to keep the dirt getting up to cover the rear lamps from under the bumper.
Worth jet washing the inside of the bumper regularly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I knew there had to be a purpose. I will leave it in place and try keep it clean since I am reusing the fiberglass bumper. I wonder if

Thanks everyone for the helpful information.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Maybe a piece of butyl tape, elizer?

funny enough i just bought some based on Djkeevs reply on my other issue. So if I do remove it I think I will slap some of that on there. I have sooo much I don't know what to do with.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 144 of 193

Jump to: