Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Of course. Any number of flows will work as long as the hose/pipe below it has a negative gradient. However, try to limit them as they will reduce the flow and take the sink longer to drain. Sink? Anything else? I'd go with 1" which will drain quickly and the fittings take up less room. Put an S trap in it somewhere to keep potential orders from coming into the car. The vent should be at the top of the tank and exit wherever you can get out to be in obtrusive. Inside the D pillar? At the outside electrical and water connection? Also have a drain at the bottom for winter. I'd use a petcock with a quarter turn valve. If you plan to dump it without a hose, fine, otherwise have the petcock end in a garden hose fitting so you can screw it on.

Why do you need a custom tank? Unless you plan to stay for days in the same location where you can't discharge it, you don't need a lot of volume.

Here's a possibility, but unless you can find two other guys, it's a bit pricey. I would love to talk; email isn't the same. https://www.plastic-mart.com/product/39065/3-gallon-waterbrick-emergency-water-storage-10-pack

These guys will make a custom tank. https://www.tank-mart.com/custom-tanks/

Or you can make one with plywood and fiberglass. This will be the cheapest and give you the maximum volume fitting in the limited space. with the fill, vent and drain in the exact spots where you need them.

Duncan
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I was going to have my dad make a custom one out of aluminum.

He built my aux fuel tank for my diesel heater. I wish I made that tank a little smaller so I could fit the OEM gray water tank in.

I do plan on staying in one spot for 3-4 days. I don't need a big capacity.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Its a pretty tank Brandon. BUT... it could get shortened. My dad would be grumpy with me if I asked him to do it, but he'd probably do it anyway.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of work. What about a flexible tank you just lay on the ground until it's time to leave and empty it wherever.

https://smartbottleinc.com/product/5-3-gallon/

Get two. They live under the car with the hose stuck in. $7? Hard to beat and you don't have to ask Dad to shorten the tank.

Duncan
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I am wanting to add a grey water tank under the passenger side of my Westy. I was planning to have a custom tank built. Theoretically, it should be fine to use an elbow and reroute the drain to the tank?
Yes, that should work fine. You need to have some means of flushing it thoroughly (big capped hole) as otherwise all sorts of weird and wonderful growths take over, with their very own perfume...

I wondered about getting one made, but caved in in the end and bought the eurocampers one - that works really well, though we use it for providing shower water rather than storing grey water.
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Replacing my v belts. The widely recommended 10x1100 belt for the alternator / water pump is difficult to get over the alternator pulley, even with the alternator loose as much as possible.

Is there another recommended size that others are using for their alt v belt?
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Replacing my v belts. The widely recommended 10x1100 belt for the alternator / water pump is difficult to get over the alternator pulley, even with the alternator loose as much as possible.

Is there another recommended size that others are using for their alt v belt?
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

is the rear bench separate from the side cabinet? Can it be removed as a unit, leaving the kitchen side...looking to get access under what is pictured.

thanks
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Here is the order, and how to keep track of what you take out...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Personally, the space you show (where the original heater was) seems like a waste of useful space. I had a look around and went for a location in the next cabinet over to the drivers side there, just in front of the stock water tank compartment.

Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I have an '85 that had the 1.9 replaced with a 2.1 by the PO. They kept all of the 1.9 dressings (FI, etc.). I am about to do my first tune-up and am wondering of the 2.1 uses the same plugs as the 1.9. I am pretty sure they are the same but wanted to check with you all. Thanks.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

1.9 and 2.1 use the same plugs... but get a better ones, NGK (1263) PB6ET.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

PB6ET FTW! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

What is this relay? Passenger side behind glovebox.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Van sat for a day or two. When I started it the CEL came on.
Scanner read P0325 knock sensor.
I cleared the code- it has not recurred +/- 100 miles.
I don't notice any drivability issues, but gas mileage seems noticeably lower this tank.
Maybe my imagination?

Filled up yesterday and will check again.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patrickgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Quick question for diesel owners out there....

I am wondering if anyone has used the exhaust from a Diesel heater (Espar/CDH) as a block heater. I figure that anytime you are running the heater to keep the interior warm the engine could use some heat to help it start easier. I was thinking of mounting the espar D2 muffler next to my 1.6TD block and wondered if anyone has tried to do this yet and if so how did you make it happen?

Thanks from Ohio (experiencing its first cold spell of the winter)
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

(A fellow diesel driver) I would be concerned about exhaust gases building up under my van and maybe finding their way into the living space. This is bad.
I think usually the object is to get the exhaust away as quickly as possible.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

patrickgreen wrote:
Quick question for diesel owners out there....

I am wondering if anyone has used the exhaust from a Diesel heater (Espar/CDH) as a block heater. I figure that anytime you are running the heater to keep the interior warm the engine could use some heat to help it start easier. I was thinking of mounting the espar D2 muffler next to my 1.6TD block and wondered if anyone has tried to do this yet and if so how did you make it happen?

Thanks from Ohio (experiencing its first cold spell of the winter)

Assuming the exhaust from the Diesel Heater "exits" away from the vehicle similar as the original set-up, I don't think it matters.

And, as with any non-electrical heat system, carbon monoxide should be of concern regardless of the method of set-up (original or not)

If you keep your 1.6 engine in top-notch condition, cold starts shouldn't be an issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patrickgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies.
I would be venting the exhaust out the back after the muffler and be using the heat from the muffler up against the block. I don't think this would be as efficient or as quick as a block heater but if running overnight it might add some heat to the engine. Especially in an off-grid situation.
I believe my TD is pretty well-tuned and it does start in the cold, but starts much quicker and smoother when warmed.
I will do some experimenting with safety being the priority.

Thanks again.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Looking for a TDI pilot shaft for the Vanagon Transmission.

Anyone have links to a source?
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

This ?

https://t3technique.com/products/tdi-input-shaft
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 173 of 193

Jump to: