Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
yes it is a 17mm socket..

make sure you can open the fill plug before you touch the drain plug.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since this is the LPSQT, why not just flip the van over if you can’t get the fill plug out?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Since this is the LPSQT, why not just flip the van over if you can’t get the fill plug out?

I considered it but I could have used some help and I didn't have your number…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The size is nice, but it's just the tips that make the first impression.

Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
Ok another stupid question- if I deflate tires to navigate washboard roads, how long would it take to reinflate them with a bicycle pump?

It took a guy on YouTube 5 minutes to inflate a flat 16" Ford Taurus tire to 30psi with a floor hand pump. YMMV. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

I considered it but I could have used some help and I didn't have your number…

Oil changes are easy with a rotisserie... Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175412

UZI wrote:

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I have my fridge out. Figured I would test it on LP, since that was the reason I took it out and went to town taking it apart and cleaning it all out.

Stupid question:

Can the LP function work without any of the electrical bits hooked up? I.E. outside the van with a 20# tank // grill regulator only?

And the Lazy part: how long do I have to hold the override button in to get the air purged from the LP line? Is there a lazy solution to hold it down for that long? I get bored, and my finger gets sore after a while.

PS. Mine is the manual push to ignite, not the auto that requires 12V

EDIT: I see Dave Vickery did something, but I can't quite tell if he has power feed somewhere else, but there looks to be jumper in one connector.

davevickery wrote:

DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I have my fridge out. Figured I would test it on LP, since that was the reason I took it out and went to town taking it apart and cleaning it all out.

Stupid question:

Can the LP function work without any of the electrical bits hooked up? I.E. outside the van with a 20# tank // grill regulator only?

And the Lazy part: how long do I have to hold the override button in to get the air purged from the LP line? Is there a lazy solution to hold it down for that long? I get bored, and my finger gets sore after a while.

PS. Mine is the manual push to ignite, not the auto that requires 12V

EDIT: I see Dave Vickery did something, but I can't quite tell if he has power feed somewhere else, but there looks to be jumper in one connector.

No electricity needed, but you need the thermocouple installed.

I hold the button for 10sec after the flame is on. This is long enough to heat the thermocouple that creates tiny bit of electricity that hold the valve open.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Ok, being convinced enough that 12V not necessary, again tried. Held button in for stupid long (like 3 minutes) and no joy.

So, I took the feed line off of at the joint that connects to the jet. Gas on at tank, gas valve on on fridge, flame to full, thermocouple defeat button depressed for stupid long again. No LP coming out of feed tube... Stupid, boring, and I'm STILL Lazy AF. Must be another lazy trick I need to engage.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I can't find anything in the search for "air compressor" that relates even half way to what i'm asking.

Where do people mount their "air compressor" to re-inflate tires / blow up paddle boards, etc?

Thinking of the middle model ARB one.

Thanks!

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

A guy that lives near recently installed his in the rear engine compartment. He has a Subaru conversion.

It's really cool he pulls back his license plate to access a switch. He has a quick release mounted on the outside near his license plate.

He is a member here on the samba but his Instagram tag is ntaramorris
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Ok, being convinced enough that 12V not necessary, again tried. Held button in for stupid long (like 3 minutes) and no joy.

So, I took the feed line off of at the joint that connects to the jet. Gas on at tank, gas valve on on fridge, flame to full, thermocouple defeat button depressed for stupid long again. No LP coming out of feed tube... Stupid, boring, and I'm STILL Lazy AF. Must be another lazy trick I need to engage.

You got it all good, assuming there's gas in the bottle. One of my plastic knob cracked. It felt like I was opening and closing the valve, but it wasn't. Maybe worth removing the plastic knob and make sure the valve are really ON.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

designer wrote:
I can't find anything in the search for "air compressor" that relates even half way to what i'm asking.

Where do people mount their "air compressor" to re-inflate tires / blow up paddle boards, etc?

Thanks!

Are you using the google search window in the upper right?

Not the useless “search this forum...” search window in the upper left. That search is useless.

When typing in “air compressor vanagon” in the google search window (upper right) I found this from the always awesome kourt (and a few other threads):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7873683

Abscate wrote:

katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I'm stupid & lazy, so this must be where I belong.

I'm installing a powered antenna (goes up and down with the radio switch) and trying to decide where to get the 12v positive "always on" supply. Poking around behind my fuse panel (a total rats nest), I find several red wires that test positive with the ignition off, but I have no idea what any of them is. Is there any reason I shouldn't just tap one and hope for the best? The antenna has it's own 5amp in line fuse on the red wire.

Thanks.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

designer wrote:

Thanks!

Viair 400p. Half the price of ARB, quiet, powerful, comes in a cool canvas bag (with plenty of room for your tire repair kit and two cans of fix-a-flat if you need it,) fits perfectly under the bench seat, and pumps up our SUPs in well under five minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9AXR8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SUP valve stem adapter, works for us on two different types of SUPs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HTD8BO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sooo much better than using a backbreaker manual pump.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I have the Viair 400p. It really is nice. The canvas bag keeps everything organized. One thing don't touch the body after you used it for a while or you will get a nice burn. I did it without thinking.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Clutch Master Cylinder (1984 Vanagon)

Does anyone know what the Inside Diameter of the hose is from the Clutch Master Cylinder up to the fluid reservoir?

I need to install a new Clutch MC and believe the hose should be replaced as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Clutch Master Cylinder (1984 Vanagon)

Does anyone know what the Inside Diameter of the hose is from the Clutch Master Cylinder up to the fluid reservoir?

I need to install a new Clutch MC and believe the hose should be replaced as well.

7mm ...... inside diameter! Overall outside diameter is 13mm.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My e-brake cable takes like 4-5 clicks before it's 'active'.

I understand it could be tightened - but I figure I'd go ahead and replace the cables and rebuild the rear brakes.
I bought new:
-rear brake shoes
- drum brake brake hardware kit
-2 cylinders
-both ebrakes cables
4x Rubber Plug for Rear Brake Backing Plate

I am keeping the same drum. The van has 120k miles and it seems to be stopping alright. Is this alright or should I replace the drums while I am at it. Or is there anything I am missing?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Mine takes four clicks and it's fine.

But if anyone doesn't know, hearing the clicks means unnecessary wear-and-tear. Pushing the button in when engaging eliminates the wear.

Signed,
Super Stupid

— Colin Chapman
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Here's a stupid one- I have a tiico. What exactly does tiico stand for?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 193

Jump to: