Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Pics? Perhaps had the kitchen cabinet removed. Does it still have the outside hookups on the DS?

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

It does have the outside hookups and the shore power is operational. I only have a sink and fridge. Not even a spot for the stove to go, it's just a solid countertop with a sink on the right-hand side. I don't have any pics on my laptop right now, sorry.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
It does have the outside hookups and the shore power is operational. I only have a sink and fridge. Not even a spot for the stove to go, it's just a solid countertop with a sink on the right-hand side. I don't have any pics on my laptop right now, sorry.

Sounds like a P22 model Vanagon, whereas you are fitted with a sink and icebox, and no stove/propane hookup and tank. Those options are standard on the full camper setup or P27 layout.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
Just bought an 81 Westy with an automatic tranny and with no stove. What is this thing actually called? T3.5 T3.2? what? lol...i'm confused by all these different Vanagon nomenclatures

It would be a P22 T3 (or T25 if you're a Brit). Wink

As said above, the P22 camper does not have a stove or fridge, just a sink and ice box, and a side-facing seat:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Do I need a spring compressor to remove the front coil springs? I've read where some have said "no" but I have an '85 with the tall springs.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Where can you tap into switched power (on when the van is running/key on "on" position) under the dash? I want to finish my oil pressure gauge install and that's the missing component. Some place where I don't have to use the vampire taps would be preferred. Lots of PO atrocities of that type already…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Paul

As I look at the schematics, for my 84, seems switched power would be easy to access at the back of the light switch. There's an 18 gauge wire that goes to the rear defogger which comes off a 10 gauge wire at the back of the light switch.

I know the schematics will be somewhat different on you 87.... but, seems that would be an easy place to start! Keep in mind, it will not be fused!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
There's an 18 gauge wire that goes to the rear defogger which comes off a 10 gauge wire at the back of the light switch.

That couldn't be better placed as the gauge cup is right there. Thanks. I'll see about getting this sorted tomorrow.

EDIT: the black/white wire was what I needed (key on power). Blue/white is headlight-switched and I needed that too.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elliott10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

OK here’s one what are those hose barbs on the radiator fan for .

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1196101.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wild guess!

Those are pipes that exhaust internal cooling. The barbs were just part of the stamping process during manufacture.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Do I need a spring compressor to remove the front coil springs? I've read where some have said "no" but I have an '85 with the tall springs.

anyone? bueller?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Pinetops wrote:

anyone? bueller?

Tough one since you modified it.

Look in the 'lifting threads' to see the mechanics of how people installed springs in those threads and reach out to those folks

Best I can think of, sorry.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Pinetops wrote:

anyone? bueller?

Unless you remove the radius rod front the trailing arm, I don't think you will be able to remove it without a spring compressor.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Pinetops wrote:
Pinetops wrote:

anyone? bueller?

Tough one since you modified it.

Look in the 'lifting threads' to see the mechanics of how people installed springs in those threads and reach out to those folks

Best I can think of, sorry.

It's all stock, the '85 had taller springs than any other year 2wd.

Thanks

Last edited by Pinetops on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Pinetops wrote:
Pinetops wrote:

anyone? bueller?

Unless you remove the radius rod front the trailing arm, I don't think you will be able to remove it without a spring compressor.

Ok thanks, sounds like it may be easier to just get a set of compressors.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Do you guys carry torque wrenches around with you in your vanagons? I have aftermarket lug/studs with spacers and it calls for like 85lb of torque.

I just bought my 5th 16" rim and if I have to change a tire I would be only tightening it by hand.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I tighten by hand and do the torque stuff when I get home or a flaps that leans them. But it wouldn't take that much more space and might consider carrying it.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Do you guys carry torque wrenches around with you in your vanagons? I have aftermarket lug/studs with spacers and it calls for like 85lb of torque.

I just bought my 5th 16" rim and if I have to change a tire I would be only tightening it by hand.

Its a thing you can get pretty close to with knowing your weight, and stepping on a normal breaker bar "x" number of inches/cm out from the lug, hold on to the rain gutter for balance. I'd have to guess that torquing to 90 or 95# isn't going to wreck things, but I guess maybe..

Carrying a bunch of stuff around is cool and all, but I don't think many of us would go to this length:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=720
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thanks! I might not go that far as Dave but I might consider carrying a torque wrench.

Do you guys have coasters you use for sweaty drinks in the van?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

When I need coasters, I just go steal a stack at a bar... I usually ask tho, so it is really stealing? Also, they get those coasters from their dist's, for free.. Is something they got for free considerable "steel-a-ble"?

My stupid question of the day is: what is the name or type of bulb that the dome light, map light and camper interior lights are called, kind of look like a lozenge? And there are 3 sizes... what goes where?

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 193

Jump to: