Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

Hello!

Today I finished a project for Betty that has been a tradition since my first car. I replace the shift knob and shift boot with my own custom leather.

I drove her to Tandy Leather Co. and matched a hide of cow leather to her brick-red vinyl. I got a full hide from a very big cow.

For the shift knob I researched the dimensions of a regulation baseball, adjusted the size of the flats for the 1 7/8" diameter knob and printed the pattern including stitch holes.

I am mostly pleased, but may try again for more practice and to see if I can do better.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For the boot I liked the cone shape a bit droopy in the back similar to Porsche 356 style. It is laced up the front to allow it to fit over the reverse lockout trigger.

For now the boot is not attached at the bottom. I intend to pull my carpets to clean and finish all the poorly cut holes by the PO in the future. I'll attach the boot to a custom mount sewn in the carpet then.

I have plans to make several other custom leather projects for this car since I got such a great deal on so much leather. I will post them as I go.

Thanks for tuning in and please offer any feedback you have. I welcome constructive criticism.

Cheers!

Betty -- August 1965 Type I
Pearl White
1600cc 12V
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

It looks great--------Very nice work. Cool
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

WOW.. very nice work.. You could make and sell thos you know ? people would pay you good money for good work..
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

I think it looks great! I really like the rivets on the boot and the fact that you used a really dark thread on the shift knob stitching. Nice contrast. Shocked My wife would get a kick out of your shift knob. She's a HUGE baseball fan! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

iowegian, vwjetboat, SBD - Thank you for your kind words.

I am pleased with how these came out. I'm headed out in the bug with my wife to the fabric store in a few to get some bits I need for the next project. I'll keep you posted!

Cheers!

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

Great work! And the best thing that ever happened to a Empi shifter. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Great work! And the best thing that ever happened to a Empi shifter. Cool

Thank you for the compliment. Empi Truth! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

Hello all!

I have continued making leather projects for Betty. Last week I stitched up a new bag for the California car duster. The bag it came with was cheap vinyl sewn up by machine with tacky screen printing in just basic black.

I used the awesome brick-red cow hide leather I have and some off-white dear skin for the welting. I had not ever sewn with a welt before so used this project to learn a bit about it and make mistakes I hopefully won't on the next project.

Like my shift boot I used eyelets and a strip of leather for a draw-string. A small piece of veg-tan leather with two undersized holes makes tension to keep it closed.

Here it lives in the frunk:

Thanks for looking!

Lev

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi again!

Today I completed a much anticipated leather project for Betty. She now has new bolster pillows for the rear seat!

I've always liked the pillows in the older Volkswagens since I saw a set in a '50s oval at a restoration shop in Albuquerque back in the late 90s. Even though they were offered on earlier bugs and never made from leather I thought I'd make some anyway.

Using what I learned from the car duster bag I employed welted construction again, this time much more neatly. I also had never sewn up any zippers before so learned this too.

This shows mid-way through the project. I have cut and sewn the zipper and cover flap in place on the main body piece, and cemented the folded welt to each circular end piece.

Here you can see stitching in the circular end piece. The other end is complete.

With it full of stuffing and zipped up it is finished! Now to make another one.

Now we can see how they look in their home on the rear seat.

I'm very happy with how they turned out. The welting is slightly brighter than the cording on the seat and vinyl in the panels but its barely noticeable. I bet that dear skin will darken from use and match well after a few years.

Stay tuned for more projects to come!

Cheers!

Lev

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

WOWWWZERZZZZZERSS that is very badass
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

That looks seriously great!
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
That looks seriously great!

I am thinking .. this man needs to make 1 set .. different color ... figure time and cost.. add profit and post on here.. and go from there.. Seriously .. hard part is done.. he knows how..has patterns.. duh.... $$$ he is on to something .. its nice pleasant to look at not over the top idiot stuff you see on tv on those car shows.. just simplistic out of box thinking
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

velolev wrote:

This picture makes that back seat look like a big, comfortable sofa! Shocked

Must be an Optical Delusion! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

nope.. he just made them the perfect size.. I am just blown away myself.. he nailed it.. perfect.. it does not look out of place.. it looks like well like they are... well .. hell ! perfect!!.. i said it again.. lol
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

I'm not complaining, I think they look great. Love the color too! Dancing

mark tucker wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
velolev wrote:

This picture makes that back seat look like a big, comfortable sofa! Shocked

Must be an Optical Delusion! Very Happy

Some have mounted stereo speakers in their round pillows. Idea Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tmoore65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

I have a friend who can craft anything with leather. Serious leather artist in North San Diego county. Check him out if you need anything.

https://www.facebook.com/redbeardoriginals/
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

Hey peeps!

vwjetboat- Thanks again! Your enthusiasm and praise fill me with joy. Very Happy I'd like to be able to make more, but damn that's a lot of hand stitching on those pillows! Shocked

René R.- Thank you for your compliment.

SBD- I agree the photo does invite luxurious lounging that doesn't exist back there! Laughing Thanks for your kind words too. The color match is so good! I'm still surprised I found such a good match.

Mike Fisher- That sounds interesting. Idea

tmoore65- Wow your friend does some nice work. I wish I could carve like that. I plan to work in some carving on the next project.

I should have my new work to show the forum by the end of this weekend.

Stay tuned! Cool

Lev

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

velolev wrote:
Hey peeps!

vwjetboat- Thanks again! Your enthusiasm and praise fill me with joy. Very Happy I'd like to be able to make more, but damn that's a lot of hand stitching on those pillows! Shocked

René R.- Thank you for your compliment.

SBD- I agree the photo does invite luxurious lounging that doesn't exist back there! Laughing Thanks for your kind words too. The color match is so good! I'm still surprised I found such a good match.

Mike Fisher- That sounds interesting. Idea

tmoore65- Wow your friend does some nice work. I wish I could carve like that. I plan to work in some carving on the next project.

I should have my new work to show the forum by the end of this weekend.

Stay tuned! Cool

Lev

now that you have the pattern .. cut the material.. take a finished product to a seamstress that works at home with a industrial machine and pay for that little bit you do not want to do.. rest would be gravy money
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand-made custom leather projects for my '66 Beetle Reply with quote

Hello V-Dub humans!

The saga continues. I obtained a bolt-together reproduction of the famous roof rack with wooden slats at Bug-o-rama last September. I created some straps to hold down luggage and things. They are made from veg-tan leather stained with an antique saddle-tan which comes out reddish. I smooth finished the edges and back, created belt keepers and added snaps and keepers where they connect to the rails.

The wood slats the rack came with were finished poorly. They weren't sanded very smooth yet they used a glossy finish stain that was an ugly yellow color. The texture was like sandpaper. Quite gross to look at and touch.

I sanded all the yellow finish off then smooth sanded with 220 grit. Then I stained the bare wood using a cherry color which came out about perfect. Then I added a satin poly finish in three coats, lightly sanding between coats. The result is quite a departure from how they came to me. Smooth to the touch, cherry colored and consistent throughout. I am pleased.

From my balcony:

Closer from up high:

Close up of the straps and new wood finish:

I appreciate feedback. Thanks for looking!

Lev

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: