Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
VIN confusion
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jlarmen
Samba Member


Joined: July 14, 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Texas
jlarmen is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: VIN confusion Reply with quote

So, I ran the plates through the vm-mplate.com decoder and received the below listing. What I'm confused about is the bus as I bought has a pop-top and what looks like factory or original holes and hardware for a camper, yet the listing says 7 seater. Were the Westfalia or other company doing campers after the fact or were they shipped as campers? I know it's not an after factory hack because the hardware matches all photos I've seen of Westys, though the interior seats and cabinets are long gone.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Quote:
Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(1) :
- Microbus
- 7 seater (arrangement 2-2-3)
- Sliding door right
- LHD
Chassis number 229136402
Serial number 136 402
Modelyear 1969
Planned production date February 24 ,1969
Type of engine Type 1 (B5) - 1584cc, 35 kW (47 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color
Color upper part : L581 - Cloud White
Color lower part : L610 - Delta Green
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) 33 - Light Grey/Medium Grey Leatherette

Destination USA, New Orleans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 38254
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Post some pictures, Westfalia did conversions before they got on the boat and the M plate says so (unless sometimes when the destination says Germany), many aftermarket conversion companies used whatever the dealer had in stock or the customer brought them. Could also have been done by a PO with a donor camper. Some pics of the bus inside and out should give it away.
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlarmen
Samba Member


Joined: July 14, 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Texas
jlarmen is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Thanks, so this is the bus before I've stripped everything. Working on a partial roof replacement and currently having the top refinished by a friend who works fiberglass.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



I'll see if I have any pictures after the top was taken off.


Last edited by jlarmen on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 38254
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

You'll have to put those in the gallery first: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: July 20, 2011
Posts: 11349
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Tcash is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Better take a look at the numbers in the other locations.
VIN, Chassis, Engine number locations

Here is a 1969 Campmobile decoded M-Plate
Note the 517, 518, D67 M-codes
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7584246#7584246

Westfalia's where built in Germany. Not the USA.

Good luck
Tcash
_________________
Click to view image
You Can Stop This, Please Post Pix To Thesamba Gallery!
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlarmen
Samba Member


Joined: July 14, 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Texas
jlarmen is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Post some pictures, Westfalia did conversions before they got on the boat and the M plate says so (unless sometimes when the destination says Germany), many aftermarket conversion companies used whatever the dealer had in stock or the customer brought them. Could also have been done by a PO with a donor camper. Some pics of the bus inside and out should give it away.


I'll get some pics of the opening. It doesn't look like a homegrown cutout or install. There is the extra roof section under the main that opens to the opening as well the rubber for the hammock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlarmen
Samba Member


Joined: July 14, 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Texas
jlarmen is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Better take a look at the numbers in the other locations.
VIN, Chassis, Engine number locations

Here is a 1969 Campmobile decoded M-Plate
Note the 517, 518, D67 M-codes
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7584246#7584246

Westfalia's where built in Germany. Not the USA.

Good luck
Tcash


Thanks, here's the other VIN and the one I fed into the decoder.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: July 20, 2011
Posts: 11349
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Tcash is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

What about the vin on the dash and the one in the engine compartment?
_________________
Click to view image
You Can Stop This, Please Post Pix To Thesamba Gallery!
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlarmen
Samba Member


Joined: July 14, 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Texas
jlarmen is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
What about the vin on the dash and the one in the engine compartment?

The engines a rebuilt donor and I'll check the dash when I get home.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 38254
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

A 69 won't have a plate on the dash, that didn't start until 70.
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: July 20, 2011
Posts: 11349
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Tcash is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
A 69 won't have a plate on the dash, that didn't start until 70.

Whoops

jlarmen wrote:
Tcash wrote:
What about the vin on the dash and the one in the engine compartment?

The engines a rebuilt donor and I'll check the dash when I get home.

Not the engine number. The Chassis number stamped on the body to the right of the engine in front of the air cleaner.
Middle picture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Click to view image
You Can Stop This, Please Post Pix To Thesamba Gallery!
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 38254
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

jlarmen wrote:
Thanks, here's the other VIN and the one I fed into the decoder.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone else notice something odd about the rivets on that M plate? Confused
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member


Joined: January 24, 2016
Posts: 1850
Location: CT
67ctbug is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
jlarmen wrote:
Thanks, here's the other VIN and the one I fed into the decoder.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone else notice something odd about the rivets on that M plate? Confused

Yup, It's got the wrong rivets... OG ones are put on backwards. That is not good at all. You might have a stolen bus or something.
_________________
'67 Beetle L41
'71 Westfalia (sold)
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
My '67 Resto
John- wrote:
The constant fear of death is half the fun of driving a vintage VW Very Happy

KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

djkeev wrote:
So you're saying that the DeLorean "Mr. Fusion" kits fit the 68 Chevelle as well?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: July 20, 2011
Posts: 11349
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Tcash is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Good eye BD. Doesn't mean it's stolen. They may have took them off to paint at one time?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Click to view image
You Can Stop This, Please Post Pix To Thesamba Gallery!
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlarmen
Samba Member


Joined: July 14, 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Texas
jlarmen is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
jlarmen wrote:
Thanks, here's the other VIN and the one I fed into the decoder.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone else notice something odd about the rivets on that M plate? Confused

Yup, It's got the wrong rivets... OG ones are put on backwards. That is not good at all. You might have a stolen bus or something.

Yeah, that's a little presumptuous. It's been in storage for 18 years, clean title, two owners. It has tons of bondo, fiberglass and 3 different colors under that and a lot non-original patch jobs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member


Joined: January 24, 2016
Posts: 1850
Location: CT
67ctbug is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

I wasn't saying it WAS stolen, I simply said that you may have one because the vins were changed out. If it's got a clean title and two owners than I wouldn't be worried about it being stolen.
_________________
'67 Beetle L41
'71 Westfalia (sold)
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
My '67 Resto
John- wrote:
The constant fear of death is half the fun of driving a vintage VW Very Happy

KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

djkeev wrote:
So you're saying that the DeLorean "Mr. Fusion" kits fit the 68 Chevelle as well?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member


Joined: August 06, 2015
Posts: 1374
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
SamboSamba22 is online now 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Need to know the numbers on the chassis, left rear area in the engine compartment.
A couple of things could have taken place here, one a 7-passenger bus was converted into a camper.
- Time consuming
- Costly
- With being in storage for almost 2 decades the times before storing would warrant a Westfalia bus for minimal amounts of time and money compared to doing a conversion one self.

A good ole VW guy had a handful of buses, took that current bus filled with bondo, which was totaled, and replaced the plates with a 7-passenger bus, allowing him to either drive it or sell it.

Thatís all Iíve got, its been a while since Iíve caught Dateline with Lester Holt.
_________________
Sinning led me to become a saint, which I then learned I wasn't qualified. -Samuel Heath Belcher

2017 Golf GTI
1974 Brilliant Orange Westfalia Deluxe
1965 Ruby Red Standard Beetle - SOLD
1959 Dove Blue Single Cab
ISO Rebuild kit APG Fuel Pump (Type 4/72-74
Bus)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlarmen
Samba Member


Joined: July 14, 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Texas
jlarmen is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Need to know the numbers on the chassis, left rear area in the engine compartment.
A couple of things could have taken place here, one a 7-passenger bus was converted into a camper.
- Time consuming
- Costly
- With being in storage for almost 2 decades the times before storing would warrant a Westfalia bus for minimal amounts of time and money compared to doing a conversion one self.

A good ole VW guy had a handful of buses, took that current bus filled with bondo, which was totaled, and replaced the plates with a 7-passenger bus, allowing him to either drive it or sell it.

Thatís all Iíve got, its been a while since Iíve caught Dateline with Lester Holt.


I'll look for the numbers when I get back in town. Still dealing with hurricane cr*p. The VW shop I bought it off said the seller was a VW mechanic, parts and re-seller since the 70's before closing shop, then stored it among others, so the latter may be plausible. Won't be many original parts left when I'm done, so a classic restoration is not what I'm after, just a driver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 38254
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

I'm not saying it's stolen, just suspicious looking, I'm curious what the number beside the battery looks like from above and below. Some more pics of the cab and interior would help clear it up, pulling a spring plate cap off the rear torsion housing and seeing what color is under it would be even more decisive.
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlarmen
Samba Member


Joined: July 14, 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Texas
jlarmen is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'm not saying it's stolen, just suspicious looking, I'm curious what the number beside the battery looks like from above and below. Some more pics of the cab and interior would help clear it up, pulling a spring plate cap off the rear torsion housing and seeing what color is under it would be even more decisive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An interior shot. The base color under the bondo, primer, white coat matches the delta green specced.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2016, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB