Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

Looking for the part number or where I can find this part. It is the connector between the rubber brake line and the hard metal brake lines. I have tried to loosen this part with no luck. I applied heat, penetrating oil, and brute strength. I would like to just cut it away and get a new one. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

you mean that springy u-shaped clip?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

That is part of the rubber brake hose, just order new hoses.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

allenw said:

That is part of the rubber brake hose, just order new hoses.

Nope, I cut the rubber brake line to get a better grip on the connector. The rubber lines are being replaced with stainless steel lines. In fact everything down to the wheel bearing is being replaced.

bhartwell59 wrote:
you mean that springy u-shaped clip?

No it's the connector that passes through the "springy u-shaped clip"

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

Can I presume You've placed a spanner on the hard line and turned it counter clockwise while a Vyse Grip is holding the connector where it's showing numerous scratches?
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Can I presume You've placed a spanner on the hard line and turned it counter clockwise while a Vyse Grip is holding the connector where it's showing numerous scratches?
Nicholas

Yes I tried that even put a pipe on the other wench. Used heat and oil. Borrowed the guy across the street, no luck. It's fused together.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
Nicholas

Yes I tried that even put a pipe on the other wench. Used heat and oil. Borrowed the guy across the street, no luck. It's fused together.

In that case, does the hard line unscrew from the master cylinder? If so, you can replace that along with the hose.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D611%2D724%2DC

and
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D611%2D701%2DD

Nicholas
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
Nicholas

In that case, does the hard line unscrew from the master cylinder? If so, you can replace that along with the hose.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D611%2D724%2DC

and
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D611%2D701%2DD

Nicholas

I have not tried the hard-line side. But everything doing with anything concerning the brakes is being replaced. The connector doesn't seem to be able to pull through the clip

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

Grab a that clip and pull it by the lip towards you till it comes off. The connection . it comes out once the clip is removed.
Nicholas

Last edited by sputnick60 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

As soon as I get home I will try that thank you. I still need the connector it is mangled from the vice grip, wrench and whatever.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

The connection is part of the hose.
This photo shows the support and the hole the connection goes through

Sure a rhd set up but just the same as lhd in that regard.
This photo shows the connections without the hardline but mounted with clips in the supports.

Nicholas
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

I had a hard time with that part too... a 50/50 mix of ATF+acetone helped me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
I had a hard time with that part too... a 50/50 mix of ATF+acetone helped me.

Unfortunately, I managed the part so I need to find a replacement.

Nicholas, I fully understand where everything goes, I just need the replacement connector. I can cut the piece off in 5 seconds.

I am doing a body off restoration of a 1970 convertible. I have replaced the pans, strengthen the Napoleon hat with some small angle, even welded closed a small hole I found in the front beam. I have purchased every part for the brakes, including a duel reservoir master cylinder, but that damn connector Smile

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

I don't mean to sound insulting, sorry if it came accross that way. I'm probably confused about what you mean by the connector. I added photos to help make the problem clearer. The bit held by the clip in the support is swaged to the flexible hose. This is equivalent to the bit you've mangled. It won't come off the hose.

So sorry this isn't a help

Nicholas
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

There is no "connector". That's the end of the flex hose that's screwed onto the hard line.

Remove the u-shaped clip from the body mounting tab. The end of the hose doesn't pull through the tab, it slides out after you remove the u shaped clip. That clip holds the end of the flex hose in place.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

I'm currently amassing parts for a brake overhaul myself. I just snapped this pic of the end of the flex hose. This is your connector.
That little 2mm slot at the head is what the U shaped clip slides into. I think you've been trying to unscrew the end of the flex hose from itself!

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
The rubber lines are being replaced with stainless steel lines.

I think this is causing the confusion because the stainless braided hoses have different fittings to the original hoses. I was going to install stainless hoses on my bus but decided not to use them because the fittings were different and I wasn't convinced they fit properly. Also after some research I found that stainless hoses weren't any good (there is a thread on here somewhere which explains why) so I used rubber hoses and I suggest you do the same.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
There is no "connector". That's the end of the flex hose that's screwed onto the hard line.

Remove the u-shaped clip from the body mounting tab. The end of the hose doesn't pull through the tab, it slides out after you remove the u shaped clip. That clip holds the end of the flex hose in place.

I'll try that as soon as I get home. I do hope you're correct about no connector, but even so nothing is coming apart.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
The rubber lines are being replaced with stainless steel lines.

I think this is causing the confusion because the stainless braided hoses have different fittings to the original hoses. I was going to install stainless hoses on my bus but decided not to use them because the fittings were different and I wasn't convinced they fit properly. Also after some research I found that stainless hoses weren't any good (there is a thread on here somewhere which explains why) so I used rubber hoses and I suggest you do the same.

I have the stainless hoses already, I'll check if that is true. I hope you're wrong about this ......

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Brake Line Connector Need part # or where to find source Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

I'll try that as soon as I get home. I do hope you're correct about no connector, but even so nothing is coming apart.

It's not turning because that u shaped clip holds everything tightly in place (and they can be a bitch to remove if they start to rust onto the body mounting tab!). You need to remove the clip and pull the end of those out of the tab before you try to unscrew it from the hard line. There's no way your going to get it loose until you remove the u shaped clip.

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: