Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Fastback project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

Sneak peek at Jenn fixing the destroyed seat back. From fabric we had laying around.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dynamic Duo - William & Jenn =)

1975 VW Westfalia "Willow"
1970 VW Single Cab Truck "Woodstock"

[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

So can anyone help identify any of these components and wires? whats the spring looking cable next to the transmission dipstick? is it broken? Also, the type 4 flex plate look like a perfect fit. Is there something else I dont know? What do I need to do in here to get an engine ready to bolt up.

[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

The flex plate will bolt up to the torque converter, but it won't bolt up to a Type 3 engine, which uses one big bolt in the center, not five cap screws like a Type 4 engine.

That's the MPS (manifold pressure sensor) on the left side of the engine compartment. The tube next to the dipstick is for your accelerator cable, and yes it's broken off.

Just looking at these things and the extremely bad rust, you might be better off trying to find a car in better shape and/or more complete. Just a thought.
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. But I enjoy a challenge. Buying a complete one is no fun. And the rust isn't anything for New England.

[email protected]
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

So you'll be needing lots of body metal. Gerson makes complete pan halves, and you can get new rockers and a few other patch panels on eBay from Germany. The rest you'll have to buy used; the classifieds here are a good place to look. Nobody makes fenders or hoods or anything like that.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

"Start with the good"... the front tops of your fenders at the headlamps appear to be solid. Most I've seen in the NE (including on my '70 FB) rust out alot, since dirt is trapped between the fender top and the top of the headlamp bowls.

Have you put the car up on jackstands and assessed the rust/rot holes on the pan? On my '70 there is a large rot hole at the front of the center spine bottom plate, just to the rear of where the front firewall comes down. Big enough to push a tennis ball in. Yikes. And all of my bumper mounts have rusted through; I have a bit more rust on the side faces of the front trunk where the bumpers would be attached.

Maybe consider the easy way out and switching to a manual transmission and dual-carbed engine?

Trunklid dealer badge appears to be Vern Hagestad-
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

So its been a little while. Some progress has been made. Purchased the correct steering column with matching front door handles so now I have a key that works on every door. New rubber steering bushing. finally figured out how to lift the front end back up because it was sagging too much. Once I get the right size tires on the rear and get the motor in there, it should sit even.
There are a lot of wires hanging and a lot of the car looks like it was ripped apart. If anyone can identify, or tell me where any of the loose wires go, I would be eternally grateful. There seems to be no wires or plug matching the plug that was in the steering column. How do I even get behind the dash to get at any of these wires?
Got a 1700 type 4 in a parts bus that runs. That will be going on a stand shortly for a tune up. Ive heard talk about a middle mount for the transmission being a must. Any pics of where that would bolt into an automatic transmission?
Im assuming the pump looking thing with the fuel hose coming out is a fuel pump? Not too sure. What is going on with that thing as well.
Also still missing all of the body to pan bolts? maybe some rubber bushings in the front too? anyone have a part number or link for those? Anyone sell a kit of all of the pan bolts and bushings?

[email protected]
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

Good start with finding and installing a '71 steering column.

As to the vehicle wiring, you have 2 choices. Do you have the brown-colored Robert Bentley repair manual for Type 3? If so, there is a color-coded wiring diagram in it. This manual will be essential for you to revive the car in all other aspects anyway. The other alternative for the wiring is to find your '71 diagram here, which is basically the same one that's in the Bentley. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt3.php

Many of the wires to your fusebox under the dash appear to be original and color-coded. That will be a big help to track down their routing and consumer per the diagram, since the color of the wires in the car match those in the diagram. Spray the fusebox spade terminals with electrical contact spray, and gently brush the terminals with a small brass-bristle detailing brush to remove corrosion. On a Type 3 all the wiring is accessible from below the dash. You could place a low flat crate with padding to lie down on your back while you work with your arms upwards, wearing a small LED head lamp. It's not like on a standard Beetle where all the wiring is accessible from the trunk.

IMO it will be much easier for you to find a proper Type 3 engine instead of adapting a type 4, finding a good pair of single-throat carbs such as a rebuilt pair of 32PDSIT or Weber 34ICT, add the kick-down switch for the auto trans, and leave the wiring in place from the car's original Fuel Injection. European Type 3 were available with dual carbs (the PDSITs) and auto trans.
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! I have a few books that include type 3s but I suppose its time to order the specific manual. Id love to put a type 3 engine in here but I cant seem to find one that isn't either all the way in cali or costs 3 times what I paid for the car and all built up. Id love to run the original FI too. But I would assume that is very hard to find as well.

[email protected]
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

FI parts regularly show up in the classifieds, sometimes a complete system. Just make sure all the parts "play" together-- you generally can't mix and match.
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

My fastback seems to be missing the rear engine mount. If its a 71 shouldnt it have one? There is not even bolt holes or anywhere where it should mount.

[email protected]
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

VW kept the mount on the engine after going to IRS, but no longer had the engine bay mount for it. It is said it was used for handling the engine in the factory, so they kept it. That bolt is needed there anyway, so it's just a tube.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

BusLust wrote:
My fastback seems to be missing the rear engine mount. If its a 71 shouldnt it have one? There is not even bolt holes or anywhere where it should mount.

One of your mounts is visible here. It's the fork that's sticking down:

There should be another one on the right side of the car. This is where your engine's crossbar bolts up.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

Take the color wiring diagram to Kinko's etc to blow up to 11" X 17" & laminated. This was one of Factory trained Russ Wolfe's tips! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

Found the correct engine from a 71 squareback. My wonderful sister picked it up for me in Indiana on her way home from washington. All worked out perfect. Had most of the components except the computer. Everything needs a deep cleaning. Already found a mouse house on the cylinder heads under the tins. Engine turns freely for 3/4 of the way then hits a ridge or dead end of sorts. Ill have the pop the heads off.
To buy:
ECU
Flex plate
gaskets/rebuild kit
lots of vacuum and fuel hose

[email protected]
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

I have some of the repair panels you need from under the hood. I just got done patching my 71. PM me for details.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

There is quite a bit of corrosion on that motor, You better check the sump for water damage around the oil sump plate. I would be doing a complete tear down, clean, and measure everything before re-assembly.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

That engine is not from a '71, at least originally. The breather and distributor styles indicate '72/'73.

That won't be a big problem, but you need an ECU matched to your engine FI components, including the MPS, which also changed after '71. Post up the engine number, and count the wires on the TVS (4 or 5?).

BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

Case code is 211 101 102 E. also says as41. 5 pins on the tvs

[email protected]
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Fastback project Reply with quote

BusLust wrote:
Case code is 211 101 102 E. also says as41. 5 pins on the tvs

I'm looking for the engine number at the top of the case at the seam (far right photo)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: