Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

Was really surprised how well the van handled during some recent evasive maneuvering. Van was fulled loaded with camping gear, full tank of gas, full water tank, toddler in the car seat, etc... The only non stock item in the mix were the Bilstein HD shocks up front.

I was going around 45 when someone pulled out in front of me from a side street making a left. I hit the horn and he ended up flooring it, which was probably the best decision for where he was, no way I could have stopped in time. I hit the brakes and veered right. Locked up the front a little. The van handled quite well, didn't do anything unexpected. Luckily for all we avoided each other.

If the road had been wet and not dry, this would have ended much worse. My big takeaway is to go a little slower in traffic, and expect long stopping times when fully loaded.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

One of my biggest fears is that somehow people don't either:

1: see me
2: believe I can be going fast enough that they need to wait for me to go past.

On the Highway, I have a real issue with drivers who think that because I have a 2 second gap in front of my rig and the next car ahead, that they need to pass me. Then, they are stuck behind the wagon train of cars I was being careful to avoid with a proper following distance.. AND, I have to fall back another second or two.

Since I saw Sanchius' T-Bone, I've added a strip of LED's along the roof gutter rail, and use them and the headlights ON while running. MAYBE it will help me not get smashed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took my idea from Abel Longoria, but did this:

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

Good job!

Sounds like you didn't panic and that's Uge.

Being we're driving a tank and I have a lifetime of racing behind me, I tend to envision scenarios more than most. I've long pictured a situation like yours but at more speed, and would hope for a wet road if a T-bone was inevitable — so I could pull the e-brake and whip a 180 to hit rear-end first. No way I'd ever want to rely on my front end, protection-wise, if going over maybe 40. I'd do it in the dry if forced to, but more delicately to avoid a barrel roll (another reason to avoid soft tires, people!).

We had a deal going up Kenosha Pass, Colorado in 1997. Pouring rain, right-hand bend under a cliff, going maybe 50, then an oncoming car blazes full brights on me. Maybe a half a second went by while I shielded my eyes, when clear the F-Bomb whipped out as I realized a three-foot-high boulder was directly in our path. Oncoming lane was full, head-on inevitable, so pitched the car about 30 degrees right in the hopes of riding atop the boulder to a parking spot barely wide enough for a car under the cliff. Impossible, and barely a tenth of a second to strategize the move.

But it worked perfectly, the car was a foot off the ground up front and parked parallel to the road plus or minus a foot of perfect — 200 feet after impact. And the only reason was I'd made hundreds of split-second moves while racing, and watched others make hundreds more trackside. Point being, there's only one way to gather these skills, and that's with speed and/or experience. While I don't recommend such "training" on the highway, but for most that's the only option.

I told my move to the cop and he assumed I was really out there. A friend riding shotgun found the point of impact and a straight-line road gouge that was pointing out the 30-degree angle change and leading to our car. We'd saved lives most likely, and our insurance went DOWN for it. The cop shook my hand and thanked me.

While the cars drug the rock under it, the Missus awoke in the back seat and asked "WHAT'S THAT NOISE???!!!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ten minutes on, a guy showed up and asked if I'd seen the boulder. I said, "NO, some idiot blinded me!!!" He looked stunned, it meant little to me then, then he said "Oh…." and walked away. I think it was Mr. Highbeams.

The car was totaled, a 1992 Nissan Stanza SE (next year re-badged as an Infiniti when the Altima came on). We loved that car, but were glad to lose it instead of us three.

Point of all this, find a way to up the game so you have options when things go wrong. This is but one of several times my racing saved our bacon. Our country sucks at driver training, thinking speed in of itself as reckless when in fact it's the best safety trainer.

I've driven way over a million miles and went 39.5 years without ever contacting another car — until last January at Buses by the Bridge. A story two here know about, including me. Embarassed

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

On my last trip across the Prairies I realized how "invisible" I am during the day.

I didn't want to spend major $$'s but I want to be seen.

A pair of rectangular LED DRL's from O'Rielly's in Great Falls and I drove home being seen!

The lights are bright at certain angles. I'm sure that better ones are on the market, but these will suffice for now as budget DRL's.

I wired them into the horn hot wire so they come on with the key turned on.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

same here...

I see them OK but the question is: Do They See me...? Very Happy

btw, I heard that in Japan, if someone involved in an accident and the driver says that he/she didn't see the other party... then it's jail time...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

I can only hope to be seen.

I could turn on my Hella 6052’s Ecodes that I retrofitted next to my VW high beams. They are GREAT at night but kinda hate to burn them all day long.......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

That's a huge issue with tan and silver cars.

The same reason that red or yellow cars get tickets make them safer in being seen. I think car color is more important than lights, but both are awesome.

Looks like 0to60 and IdahoDoug may outlive us all. Wink

— Colin Chapman
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

On my old van, I used 1/4" reflective tape. I put 5" strips on all 4 corners. The thin size is not noticeable during daylight, but at night it reflects a ton of light.

Here's a strip of it on top of the back window during my Denver trip.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
On my old van, I used 1/4" reflective tape. I put 5" strips on all 4 corners. The thin size is not noticeable during daylight, but at night it reflects a ton of light.

I like that! ^^^^

I added GoWestys 3rd brake light, I can't say enough good things about that unit!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer that too much of a good thing becomes a distraction when following behind for miles. Witness "rear end full of tail lights" on some cars out there, it's all I can do to not be lulled into reliving bits of my life.

I'm putting a reflective Kokopelli or perhaps a comic shape atop the rear of my cargo box. Greatest point of worry for me is someone racing up over a hilltop and the highest point wins.

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

Oh come on! I'm old and I drive a stock 2.1 ........ no one will be behind me for long!!! 😂

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

Laughing

— Colin Chapman
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

Coming back from the Finger Lakes on I-81 in Pennsylvania we were tooling along in the slow lane in moderate traffic when a white SUV fell from the sky into our lane. It did not really fall from the sky but looked like it when the vehicle that had been on the road adjacent to the highway lost control and plunged off the hillside. Could not go left due to other cars so stood on the brakes, then let off and dodged right into the breakdown lane where I hit some loose Murano parts, then stopped a little farther on and ran back to render assistance. I was very pleased with the van's handling under duress.

hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

Just a few months ago a guy started to turn left in front of me and then just stopped half way across my lane. I brakes hard for as long as I could, then steered around his front end. The van handled great. I helps that I have a rear sway bar and BMW 4 pot front calipers. But man, that's the closest I've come to creaming someone in a while. The next day when I drove past the same spot, I could see that my brakes locked up evenly at first stomp and the van went perfectly straight until I eased off and made the move to go around him. I couldn't of done it better in a sports car...

Hans
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:

I use SOLAS reflective tape,(Safety of Life at Sea) It has a different pattern to it which I think is better at reflecting light then the reflective tape found in most stores. A marine chandler such as West Marine would carry it.

It looks like this, never mind the outrageous price as you can usually find it in cut strip lengths.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/3m--scotchlite-solas-reflective-material--3761871

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylor-made--scotch..._-PDP-Test

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

Re: Evasive Maneuvers.

Whenever I see the hippies start going for my van, I either run like hell or beat them off with my yoga mat....

Shocked Very Happy
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

Ouch.

(if I read this right)

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

Now the big question is, can we put that anazing reflective tape on deer and similar road hazards?
Thats where my Van was tested, avoided the darn deer at dusk!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

This is my biggest pet peeve:

bobbyblack wrote:

On the Highway, I have a real issue with drivers who think that because I have a 2 second gap in front of my rig and the next car ahead, that they need to pass me. Then, they are stuck behind the wagon train of cars I was being careful to avoid with a proper following distance.. AND, I have to fall back another second or two.

0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

some would think I am "parano" when I put reflective tape on the rear bumper of my van...

but when I think that out there some people drive with half their eyes on the road and the other half on their cell phone awaiting incoming texting messages...

now that's scary... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: