Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Went to look at a 1972 Westfalia with a friend couple of weeks ago. The Bus was from Arizona and had been in a garage for the last ten years or more. It was so solid my friend ended up buying it.
My first question was about the interior fabric.. it is beige cloth, can be described as corduroy like. And the front doors have arm rests like I have never seen before with the same fabric (see pic). Thanks BUSDADDY for info !
Went back today ...filled tires, got wheels turning, cleaned some of the mouse crap out and one live mouse and turned the engine over. Engine seemed to turn over by hand way too easy ? And the underside is very oily see pic.
Most of the electricals are working except for turn signals. Looks to have only one light repaint, canvas is shot. Anybody interested in the air conditioning unit, no compressor ? Paid $3000. Opinions Please !!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by HelmutofBuffalo on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Interior or Aftermarket ?? Reply with quote

VW didn't do that, it looks like those tweed panels TMI or one of the larger aftermarket suppliers used to sell.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Interior or Aftermarket ?? Reply with quote

The armrest support pieces almost look like towel bar mounts or toilet paper roll brackets.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Just updated post with the above pictures ^^^^^ Very Happy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Damn, that doesn't look all that bad for a complete early camper on the East coast, a little rot starting but far from terminal so far.
De-mouse the cooling system before any starting attempts. That Norcold fridge is a nice unit even though it fits funny where the ice box went, not as efficient as a modern unit but it sure cools off the beers fast.

Clean it up, ditch the Weber and drive it!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

"Clean it up, ditch the Weber and drive it!"
That's the plan Very Happy
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Finally dried out enough to bring it home, looking better all the time Smile

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Helmet, I have deep ties to buffalo. I went to Buffalo State and I bought the first bus I ever owned there. I still have some great friends there, next time I'm there I'll be in contact.

That's a great score, that bus is lucky to have you!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Hey Rich, Thanks for that ! Looking forward to seeing you next time your in WNY. Any photos or memories of that first Bus ? Helmut
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

No pics. It was a '78 with a 1600dp, I bought it from Country Volkswagen. It burned down in under 400 miles. When I opened the opened the hatch the distributor was on fire 🔥. My guess is the fuel filter, which was located above the distributor leaked and caused the fire. It was pretty much a total loss, only the bumpers and hubcaps were salvageable.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

I'd say well worth 3k. Definitely have some work on your hands but that's gonna be a fun project.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Got around to adding gas and straightening out the wiring and after 15 years in storage fired up and runs like a top Very Happy Also after more and more cleaning this is turning out to be one of the most solid Bus ever Very Happy Very Happy .
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Nice find. I have a 1972 as well, let me know if you need any specific pictures to compare with your bus.

Also have a look at this https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467858
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Missed that it had AC under dash first time. Nice shape. First college girlfriend had a 72, so they've always been specialto me.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Sounds better all the time!

I just noticed it looks like it has outer belly pans, what's the build date on it?

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Hello from another NYS bus owner.

I'm in Rochester and about 18 months ago found a 73 bus in my brother-in-law's barn in Oregon. Had it shipped out to NYS and have been enjoying putting it into better shape with lots of help from the great people here.

I don't know if there is any kind of VW club/group in this region - does any one else know?

Regards,

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:

I'm in Rochester and about 18 months ago found a 73 bus in my brother-in-law's barn in Oregon. Had it shipped out to NYS and have been enjoying putting it into better shape with lots of help from the great people here.

I don't know if there is any kind of VW club/group in this region - does any one else know?

Regards,

Jeff

Check here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/clubs/index.php

Empire and Finger Lakes are in your area.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff..Syracuse and Central New York is the happening scene in upstate NY. We don't have a lot in Albany area.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy barn find in WNY from Arizona Reply with quote

Thank You - Didn't realize this info could be found here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: