Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So I bought a Super Beetle...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperGregg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

Hi!

My name is Gregg and I am the proud owner of a 1971 Super Beetle for a couple months now. I recently got rid of my 2014 Dodge Dart as my "fun car" (I have a Jetta for a daily) and found this beauty close by. My girlfriend and I have always loved how these look, and while we weren't really seriously looking at getting a Beetle, we stumbled upon this one and fell in love with the color, the way it runs and drives, the great shape it's in and the price was perfect. From what I can tell, and what the shop it's been to can tell, its an all original 20,xxx miles. EVERYTHING in this car sports a VW logo stamped or cast or printed onto it. The car came with the original window sticker and a little notebook of a brief service history, and the car is listed as getting an oil change at 18,xxx miles... In 1996. So I think she's been doing a lot of sitting. And the tires have 1992 DOTs. It's been repainted at some point but it's the original color. Love this car! I've had coworkers tell me to get some different rims or something but I love the factory VW caps. And if they're original why would I?

The guy was asking $4000 on a for sale sign in the window, $3500 on Craigslist, and as we stood and looked at it, he said he would take $3000. So we brought her home!

I know that you all know what these cars look like, but everyone's kid is their favorite, right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice meeting you guys! Very Happy
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

That is beautiful! Welcome to the samba! Don't change a thing...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

Nice car! I like the color a lot.
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

Nice car and the price was goo also.
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

looks clean
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

Great looking car! Don't change a thing -- except for the tires. I wouldn't trust 25 year-old rubber.......
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Great looking car! Don't change a thing -- except for the tires. I wouldn't trust 25 year-old rubber.......

X2. Great looking car. Congrats and welcome.
DadsOld74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

It looks really nice. The only thing I can say, though, is that it has been painted. They sprayed right over the rubber between your tail lights and the rear fenders and did the same thing to the rubber above your license plate light (a bit of a pet peeve of mine). It's possible the paint just faded and somebody painted it with a coat of the original color to refresh it. It's also possible, though, that it sustained some damage at one time or another. I'd at least unscrew those pieces and either replace those gaskets or chip the paint off the rubber to make it black again. Up to you, but I kinda think such lazy painting looks tacky. Welcome, though!

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche
Balthazar B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

Right on, man...

flat-screen Supers are rad.

Cool
SuperGregg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

René R. wrote:

Trust me, it's on the to-do list... it has a shimmy at highway speeds and I can't tell if it's the fact that these tires are older than I am or because the front end parts are all shot... either way, it'll get done. Smile

DadsOld74 wrote:
It looks really nice. The only thing I can say, though, is that it has been painted. They sprayed right over the rubber between your tail lights and the rear fenders and did the same thing to the rubber above your license plate light (a bit of a pet peeve of mine). It's possible the paint just faded and somebody painted it with a coat of the original color to refresh it. It's also possible, though, that it sustained some damage at one time or another. I'd at least unscrew those pieces and either replace those gaskets or chip the paint off the rubber to make it black again. Up to you, but I kinda think such lazy painting looks tacky. Welcome, though!

It's definitely been repainted, there's lines in the door jambs of where the newer paint stops, and like you pointed out, all of the rubber is painted over. One of the tires has some overspray on it too. Overall though the color is pretty darn close, and while I never thought I'd like it a lot, I love it. The main thing to me is there are no runs or anything like that. Some of the rubber is pulling out or cracking anyway, I'm not sure if they are replaceable but might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the Beetle love, guys!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

Yeah, all that rubber is replaceable.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

nice car, great deal
I'd have bought it too..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacco Verveer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

Looks good a solid SB!

I would look for new rubber etc cracks/dried out from heat age
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

Looks pretty clean and original. Autostick too i see! Where in MN are you?
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
SuperGregg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
Looks pretty clean and original. Autostick too i see! Where in MN are you?

Yep, the AutoStick was a little weird to me when we first drove it... Is it a manual? Is it an auto? It's somewhere in the middle! Laughing

We're down in the Mankato area. How about you?
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

No way! I am actually less than 10 miles south of Mankato. Was this the car that was listed in Mankato for awhile? Would be cool to meet up. There is a small vw club in the southern mn area also.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

Looks very nice. Good luck with it. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
SuperGregg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
No way! I am actually less than 10 miles south of Mankato. Was this the car that was listed in Mankato for awhile? Would be cool to meet up. There is a small vw club in the southern mn area also.

Really? That's awesome! We looked at it on the night it was posted to Craigslist and brought it home a couple days later. It's funny, right after I bought this one, two more classic Bugs popped up for sale in Courtland...

We got this from a gentleman in Madison Lake. I'll have to look into the club!
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

That super convertible at the dealer in courtland has been sitting there all summer, i had heard about the other one sitting in someones yard for sale but never saw it. If you ever see any aircooleds around mankato it's a pretty good chance it's me! haha. Hopefully run into you soon.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

SuperGregg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a Super Beetle... Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
That super convertible at the dealer in courtland has been sitting there all summer, i had heard about the other one sitting in someones yard for sale but never saw it. If you ever see any aircooleds around mankato it's a pretty good chance it's me! haha. Hopefully run into you soon.

I'm not much of a fan of the brown, and on top of that, there's a bra on it, in addition to the price being a bit steep in my opinion...

I have a picture of the white one:

I stopped one day and looked at it, it's in decent shape but missing some odds and ends like some trim and the radio, and it has a pretty half-ass paint job, the car used to be red and has been repainted cream... it's still red in all the vents under the back window. Runs really well though, sounds like he stuck some money into it recently. It disappeared for a while, thought he sold it, but it popped up again this week all cleaned up.

I looked at this orange one around Janesville, before we found our Marina Blue. I had trouble getting it to go more than 45mph down the highway, and it was a little out of the budget. Perfectly matched the color of the Dart I used to have though...

I also see another Marina Blue around North Mankato quite often... I'll have to see if I can catch the owner one of these days.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: