Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 bus won't start
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus won't start Reply with quote

Timing
bsavitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus won't start Reply with quote

I read the above link on timing and made sure everything was set accordingly. Set static timing as a baseline to 7.5 degrees BTDC. I drained the fuel tank and put in fresh gas. I pulled the carburetor and disassembled and cleaned it and reinstalled. Still no luck.

Any other ideas?
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus won't start Reply with quote

Is it even trying to turn over? Maybe the spark plug wires are mixed up or you forgot to connect a wire. My bus wouldn't run once because a wire disconnected from the coil. Should be something small if it was previous running and you didn't mess with the distributor drive gear.

I'd try some starter fluid, but not sure if others would recommend. Maybe there's someone close to you that can take a look? Good luck!
bsavitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus won't start Reply with quote

It sort of makes a glug sound every so often when I'm trying to start it. I would love for the problem to be a wire going to wrong location. I went out to double-check and as far as I can tell, it's right. All the wires are seated on the plugs and I pulled the distributor cap to be sure wire 1 is connected to the terminal on the cap where the notch is in the distributor. I hooked up the remaining wires based on a clockwise rotation and firing order of 4-3-2-1. I also checked the cylinder stamp on the tins to be sure I was definitely connecting to correct plug.

As I mentioned before, I have confirmed I am getting a spark. Should I go the starter fluid route at this point or is there something else worth trying?

Thanks again,
Brian
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus won't start Reply with quote

did you ever dribble some gas into the carb? result?
bsavitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus won't start Reply with quote

Yes - I did dribble gas in the carb an no luck.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus won't start Reply with quote

bsavitch wrote:
All the wires are seated on the plugs and I pulled the distributor cap to be sure wire 1 is connected to the terminal on the cap where the notch is in the distributor.

You need to determine TDC by watching the valves on the #1 cylinder. Turn the engine so that the timing mark aligns with the TDC mark and then check to see if both valves on the #1 cylinder have a bit of lash. You can also check the #3 cylinder and neither valve should have lash.

Unless you know for sure the distributor drive is installed by the book and everything about the distributor is also by the book, you can not depend on the mark on the distributor correctly indicating TDC.
bsavitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus won't start Reply with quote

I don't think I clearly stated what I meant. I'm using the notch in the pulley and the timing scale for TDC. I only used the notch on the distributor to figure out where to connect the spark plug wire for cylinder 1. Then, working clockwise, I connected the remaining wires 4-3-2.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus won't start Reply with quote

You still need to check your valves to see whether you are at TDC compression for the #1 cylinder or for #3. You can not do this solely by looking at the pulley and/or the notch on the distributor. You must either check (and understand) what the valves are doing or do something like plug the spark plug hole with your finger while turning the engine over by hand to see when you have compression.

You could also just flip all your wires 180° on the cap and see what happens.
bsavitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus won't start Reply with quote

Wildthings, I think I love you! That was indeed the problem. I'm all set now. Thanks everyone for all your help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: