Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex Heater without body mounted tank?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
capoz43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

I have an 86 weekender and am planning to install a Propex heater. The weekender doesn't have the propane tank on it and I really don't need to have the propane tank on the body of the vehicle. I would like to set up the heater to plug directly into a 1 gallon aux tank. The standard tanks are way cheaper and I'll only be using the heat when I'm set up at camp. I'd have the tank outside the vehicle of course and probably just set it on the ground at camp...maybe on a bumper mount.

Is there a way to set up the gas line for the Propex heater so I can just screw in a hose to connect to a standard tank without having the body mounted tank as well?

Thanks!

- matt
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

My propex is connected to a 20lb BBQ style propane tank. The crux of the operation is figuring out how to plumb the propane lines from the bumper to the Propex. I purchased all the necessary tools and parts at a local propane supply store.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

calfredson wrote:
My propex is connected to a 20lb BBQ style propane tank. The crux of the operation is figuring out how to plumb the propane lines from the bumper to the Propex. I purchased all the necessary tools and parts at a local propane supply store.

This.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

One thing to think about is coming up with some way that it is impossible to drive off with the tank just dangling there! I know I'm ADHD and forgetful enough that I've decided to move the Bus while camping or something like that and forgotten to unhook or move things a time or two.

A couple ideas to get the creative juices flowing:

Set it up so that the tank is secure just in case you do drive off. So maybe some kind of strap that holds it up to the underside of the Van? If it was a positive, secure connection you could potentially have the option of deciding to use the heater when driving if you ever wanted to.

Set up the connection inside a cabinet in the Van. I altered my Bus's stove connections to use 1 lb cans inside the cabinet. This would be a simiilar setup and again would allow the option of using the heater if ever needed.

You'd probably want to protect the propane connection at the heater. So if it was a cap or something you had to take off, you could just make sure that you remove the cap, strap it on to the steering wheel or over the ignition switch before even connecting the propane tank. Then it would be difficult to move the Van without seeing the cap. You'd have to be self-controlled enough to stay in the habit of putting the cap on the wheel or whatever. I know I'd probably be tempted to hook up the propane, then would set the cap down and forget all about it.

I sometimes use the stock jack to level my Bus when camping, so I always drape it's carrying bag over the steering wheel so I don't forget and try to move the bus or something.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

Quote:
Set it up so that the tank is secure just in case you do drive off. So maybe some kind of strap that holds it up to the underside of the Van? If it was a positive, secure connection you could potentially have the option of deciding to use the heater when driving if you ever wanted to.

Engineered cheap safety solution. You clip your car key to the tank when it goes into use so that you have to find the can in order to drive off. Its amazing how many tricks like this make you six sigma safe on airlines
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

there are RV propane quick disconnects available for the tent trailer market, they use them for external BBQs. make sure there's a protective cap to keep the fitting clean..

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS754U...GAgz0RY2Q8

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

I'd say doable. Rules would be;

1) No highpressure lines/connections/regulator inside the van - i.e. no lines through the door/window/hole.

2) properly sized regulator (like a stock Westy) fixed in place with an add-a-tank type fitting attached to the high pressure (inlet) side.

3) Some afore mentioned "drive away protection" device. Flag to attach to steering/keys/etc. (or a reeeaalllly long hose so the "boom" happens far behind you when you-or someone-eventually forgets it Smile )

That said, if you use the heater much you may want more capacity. If the heater puts out 6,500 btu per hour of run time and 1 gal of propane contains somewhere around 90,000 btu's, that gives you somewhere around 14 hours of continuous run time. Is that enough?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

When I use my propex down into the 30's I'd say it runs maybe 20 minutes out of an hour so that 14 hours would equate to almost two days of time. But in the daytime it may not be needed as much. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

One reason to reconsider a tank mounted under your weekender is... safety. In the event of an accident an unsecured propane tank (even a 1 gal) carried in your van becomes a deadly projectile. Of course, you can secure it in the van or store it in your Thule/Yak box, but that becomes "one more thing" and takes up valuable real estate.

Mount a tank under your van and forget about it.
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=2447 or the larger capacity version which hangs 3" lower than the original: http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23916

PS - After you mount a tank underneath, you can add a quick connect fitting to operate other accessories (grill, stove, shower, etc).
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

That larger GoWesty tank has a gauge. I'd say that alone is worth the extra $$.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
capoz43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the feedback and ideas. I may just save up to install the tank on the vehicle. Safety first!!
herbie555
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

I think this can be safely done without mounting a tank. (It's how I plan to do it.)

I've previously spoken to Karl at Westyventures about this and he was pretty sure he could find and sell me the appropriate adapters needed for a quick-disconnect propane connection to an otherwise hard-mounted Propex (I was looking at the external-mount HS2211)

After that, safety just means finding a safe way to transport the propane bottle. I use a 5lb tank (~9" diameter), mounted on an exterior rack on my van. It's secure, but outside (and even lockable), and is much easier to find a place for than a massive 20lb tank.

I use an aluminum tank bracket from Adventure Trailers:
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/BCh8Pd_j-ugpM-_zsCqVaJimMMqqSG6YCVfIxz0HCP_LuVquK-1o_dpsGHQytftZQD01FRLh7bQJpbxntHYbGb_GOq-MWEoZVxZ0H-GHcusEam-F9oZZJgbPVnMTuoPbieG-erHq0T5xKIL33HP631nvqxSNyrPVUZnCleSWdp8ilAiwSygfOqoIYyZS-lxAK02fkPAmucBvqqVLflC1a2JZoni7-XmyGYd5g4AD8YMZbv4Lj76rT9zRMph6XWJZQjGETc9cH5cMq_hKhtMYXxaZOIK5OhpEkmt2izRgbaauq8cTYccZRFgF0-74ZHzP4Glpsys7ibNYy5OsSSjI7zd-jZgO_MEcXz_-73IXIOjufp8OOVd7SE-mTNJfn0F5swBRTlxFDMQrhK2KBn2DF72soveCOuaUtrg_kDN9pYcODCY8bvYFUOfRjOG74gsZNj6CnZkVBa0Wk0S4cpTBYNZtRC7HELmHzVf2gz01aAl5hG25AcLLuNSJvn-5z9GDQhCRvgxWDbYiytwPvXKMIMMHwquiLo2eG234a1pkDNdo2LaT-DRUOLlTBDwO9872piQ8YoonNT7F6K6u0NNyw_iiQLRS3anAe3qyzOMfsJS4V-R7zMIMxXCJPoqJXf_Zi3Hst9wpuHw0YE4bvs7g8-YMcoyqzOZGpUPq=w600?.jpg[/img]

EDIT: Looks like I'm having some trouble w/ image posts. Copypasta the url if you're curious.

I think driving away with the tank attached is rather unlikely. Depending on where you mount the Propex, you'll either be stepping over the tank on the driver's side, or on the passenger's side...
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

Depending on the climate you plan to camp in, a 5lb tank may or may not serve your needs. Here in Northern California (read: average low temps 45-55F) my Propex set to about 65F with a standard OEM LP Westy tank lasts about 5-7 nights.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

FWIW, a stock Westy tank will run the HS2000 or HS2211 approximately 40 hours continuous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

herbie555 wrote:
I think driving away with the tank attached is rather unlikely. Depending on where you mount the Propex, you'll either be stepping over the tank on the driver's side, or on the passenger's side...

Thats probably true, I think most folks would pay better attention than I seem too...made it 4 miles - all the way to the freeway - with the pop-up up Embarassed

westyventures wrote:
FWIW, a stock Westy tank will run the HS2000 or HS2211 approximately 40 hours continuous.

Our main reasoning for our second tank, a couple of weeks between fill-ups with both LP refer and Propex running.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater without body mounted tank? Reply with quote

If you camp a lot, every bit of inertia added to camp setup and departure will be regretted. If you rarely camp, added rituals are often savored. For all the effort it takes to install a propex (well) I think "opening the propane valve" should be the only barrier between you and heat.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: