Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

I have been having trouble keeping the fan bolt tight on my 69 Square, which has cause issues with my generator, and the flywheel (?) eventually starts rattling. Decided that I am going to try and pull the engine to fix it, and I have never done that before. My first worry is getting the rear end up high enough to get it out. I have a set of ramps, as well as a low profile jack and stands. I figure once the engine is loose, if there is not enough clearance, I can get some help lifting the rear end by hand to get it out from underneath.

Since I will have it out, I will spend the winter tearing it apart and cleaning/repairing anything I can. This will be my first foray into engine work, so if you all have any suggestions for things to look for and improvements that can be made while the engine is out, I would appreciate hearing them.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

That fan/pulley bolt is torqued much higher than for a Bug. Some manuals are incorrect. You need 90+ ft-lbs for a Type 3.

The pulley bolt will not affect the flywheel in any way.

Lots of threads about getting the engine out. Now I use an ATV jack and a homemade adapter. But for years I just lowered it side to side with wood blocks onto a sheet of 1/4" plywood, then dragged the works out.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

The ramps & tires get in the way! Put 3 ton jack stands under the spring plates in front of the rear wheels at there Top notch. Drop the engine down & slide it onto heavy cardboard, so you can drag it out from under the car. You have even more room coming out the side with the wheels & tires off the car but i just get mine out the back barely clearing the rear apron.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Yes, first determine if you really need to pull the engine.

The fan/pulley can be tightened easily enough, you just need a way to hold the engine from turning. How are you holding yours?

As Phil says it needs to be tightened to 95-105 lbs.

If your fan's rivets are working loose and causing it to rattle, tightening won't help. You'll need to fix or replace your fan, but it can be removed without pulling the engine.
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Yes, first determine if you really need to pull the engine.

Kind of what I was thinking... If you want to tear it down and rebuild, by all means, pull that thing outta there. But it really doesn't have to come out to fix the fan/pulley.
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Boogievan wrote:
Kind of what I was thinking... If you want to tear it down and rebuild, by all means, pull that thing outta there. But it really doesn't have to come out to fix the fan/pulley.

I do want to tear down and rebuild. If for nothing more than the experience.
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Cool, I'd go for it then. Plenty of help here if you find yourself in trouble.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

For an IRS Type 3 (which your 69 is), VW recommended pulling the engine and transmission together, since it's less work. That's what I do. I use a transmission jack from Harbor Freight, with a piece of wood strapped to the top to make a wider support, like so:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you pull just the engine by itself, you'll have to make arrangements to support the transmission, since without the engine there's nothing to support it in the back.

I jack each side of the car up a little, going from one side to the other, placing wood blocks under the tires until the car is sitting high enough that I can roll the engine/transmission out the back:

grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

I only hope that I can make this...

... look anything like notchboys

Different motor, but his is so clean and pretty!
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

He does do to top 'notch' work, that is a beautiful engine!

And I'll try to be the first to say it (because I know it's coming):

Get that fuel filter outta the engine compartment!!!!!
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Boogievan wrote:
He does do to top 'notch' work, that is a beautiful engine!

And I'll try to be the first to say it (because I know it's coming):

Get that fuel filter outta the engine compartment!!!!!

Oh, you're not the first Very Happy

Part of the plan...
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

So your car is an automatic?
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
So your car is an automatic?

Yes it is. Does that have an impact on my plans?
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

The automatic transmission's front mount is no longer manufactured. You can occasionally find them here in the classifieds, but they tend to be expensive. This is another reason to pull the engine and transmission together, because you just take the bolts out and the mount stays on the transmission. If you split that mount, it's going to cost you.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Also, your generator needs to be rotated. Look at Notchboy's picture -- there is a line on the distributor body which should line up with the dot on the hold-down strap. There is a hole on the side of the generator body, and when you line up the dot and the line, the generator gets cooling air blown inside it from the fan shroud to keep it from overheating.
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Looks like that tranny jack is $100 from Harbor Freight. I will pick one up before I start. Thanks for the picture of yours, I will try to replicate your mod Smile
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

grnerd wrote:
Looks like that tranny jack is $100 from Harbor Freight. I will pick one up before I start. Thanks for the picture of yours, I will try to replicate your mod Smile

I will mention that with the engine/trans sitting on the jack, it takes a fair amount of force to raise the jack. It takes a 1/2" drive ratchet with a cheater pipe to turn it, or an air-powered impact wrench. I used an impact.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
I use a transmission jack from Harbor Freight, with a piece of wood strapped to the top to make a wider support, like so:

Donnie, this is just what I been looking for to move a large classic Mercedes transmission. Had to lift it out of the borrowed van and into the back of the garage, but back was out of commission a week, basically stuck in a chair. So thank you. Very Happy

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

You're welcome Adriel! It's a handy tool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: