Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

There are threads on several variations on the ATV/Tranny/floor jack adapter approach. Here are a couple:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516802
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685954

I made one based on the first thread (now with the photos broken!) but modified it for a subsequent R&R, and now it's golden. The adapter's bottom dimensions depend on the jack, and make sure the top dimensions support the engine on the case, not the tin. Also make sure you have clearance for the working/moving parts of your jack.

But with it, the job is so much more stable and can be done by one person. I used to balance it in a single jack and use wood blocks. My older back really prefers the ATV jack solution now!
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

I don't know why folks don't just upload their pictures to their Samba gallery...

In the past I've used bottle jacks, hydraulic floor jacks, and scissor jacks to remove Bug engines. Since I was pulling my Squareback's engine and transmission together, there were two reasons in particular I chose to use this jack:

First, it's not hydraulic, so it won't leak down, and it's easier to do a fine adjustment of jacking height, especially when lowering the engine or engine/trans.

Secondly, all four wheels are caster wheels, so you can easily move the jack in any direction at any time during the process (a concrete floor is a necessity here, of course).

In the end, of course, it's best to use whatever you're most comfortable with.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Side note (since the photos are missing now): For the engine-only job, one of the clever additions to one of the jack adapter designs was the use of carriage bolts to act as levelers, so the front-to-back angle can be made to match the car (which may or may not be level), making the mating to a manual transmission much easier and less likely to break or bend clutch parts or the tranny shaft. The main issue with fitting the adapter to the jack is to make sure the wood plate can't slide; if it does, you get the engine off-center and off balance. That was one of the mods I made-- blocking so it couldn't shift on the jack.
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Started the project today, and I am a bit confused. Can anyone suggest a thread that shows the process of removing engine and trans together?

I have the car raised up, and have the engine and transmission supported. I have removed the carbs, electrical, dipstick and trans fluid stick. I removed the nut that attaches the shift cable to the transmission, and the four bolts that hold the transmission to the body.

Do I remove the (can't think of the term for the shaft that drives the wheels) by removing the nuts circled in yellow?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

That takes a special 12 point Allen head wrench for VW CV joints made by Empi etc. Pick all the dirt/grease out of them before you try to put the Allen wrench in them.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Hmm... ok. Guess I need to order one of those before I can move on.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

You should be able to find one at your FLAPS (friendly local auto parts stores) if you go look. They make the 12 point Allen wrench on a 3/8" drive socket.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

grnerd wrote:
Hmm... ok. Guess I need to order one of those before I can move on.

You can buy the socket at Autozone, etc.

Yes, you have to remove the driveshafts.

DO NOT PUT WOOD BLOCKS UNDER THE TRANSMISSION PAN.

Put the blocks under the final drive part of the transmission, and the engine's oil drain plate.

You don't have to remove the carbs or the transmission dipstick.

Pull the shift cable out now, or it's going to get hung up on removal.
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
DO NOT PUT WOOD BLOCKS UNDER THE TRANSMISSION PAN.

Put the blocks under the final drive part of the transmission, and the engine's oil drain plate.

Thanks for this!!!
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

These the right ones?

grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
That takes a special 12 point Allen head wrench for VW CV joints made by Empi etc. Pick all the dirt/grease out of them before you try to put the Allen wrench in them.

Looks like the PO did not get the same advice. There is one that is stripped. How do I get it out?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Vice Grips or grinder as a last option!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Vice Grips or grinder as a last option!

Yes, Vise Grips will usually do the job.

Those sockets will work.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish me luck! Suggestions welcome. Reply with quote

Just a little something to check for when you decide to put the fan bolt in, check the threads of that bolt. I only mention it, as when that bolt comes loose, it likes to smooth out the threads. Once it's done that, it doesn't matter how tight you get it then, as it'll only be a matter of time before it comes loose again. If possible, I'd replace that bolt, and maybe even add a little blue loctite to the threads upon installation. Also, that bolt NEEDS to be torqued up to between 98 and 106 FT LBS.

As for the "stripped bolt head, you might try a metric socket bit in it, as VW did make replacements (for water cooled cars) with regular Allen style bolts. If that doesn't work, vice grips should get it off. Last resort being a hammer and a sharp chisel.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: