Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ECU 76 VW Type 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: ECU 76 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

I am looking for a ECU for a 76 Type 2 Transporter. I am new at chasing parts for cars. Bosch 0280000139 or VW 022906021 N. I am trying to upgrade my old bus but am having trouble keeping it running. I am not a mechanic but have recently got some help with the issue. Issue is sometimes it just quits running and it doesnt care where it is. I have replaced:Distributor Cap, Points, Spark Plugs. Plug Wires, Repaired fuel hoses replaced clamps on them and vaccum lines, Replaced Fuel Filter and the Fuel pump works, Replaced engine housing seal, Cleaned throttle body and replaced air filter. When it quits it is like it is out of fuel but it is not. I can give it a shot of starter fluid and it will start but not keep running. A guy today put a NOID light on it and said injectors were not firing replace the ECU so I am looking for that now.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ECU 76 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!

There is none available in the classifieds.

Try google
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=022+906+021+N

Good luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ECU 76 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ECU 76 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

click on link
Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ECU 76 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

Check your resistor pack and the wiring harness plug carefully. ECU does not have a reputation as being the culprit.

Bad or loose wiring harness, intermittent ground issues (did you clean the group ground connector under the inlet plenum and renew the female spade connectors to that?)... these are far more common than a bad ECU.

My post ignores your request, but offers an alternative.

The Bentley actually has a comprehensive fuel injection component test process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: ECU 76 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

Agree what he said above, check everything else thoroughly before you go diving into replacing the ecu. They are pretty robust, but I did have an intermittent issue with mine that led me to swap out as well as acquire a spare.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670981&highlight=

However if you do, the ECUs are essentially the same throughout the years and are interchangeable. Contact Ken at the ThebusCo.com he'll have one.

Do you have the FI manual?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_training_troubleshooting_manual.php

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)

Last edited by aerosurfer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: ECU 76 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

It would be pretty rare for the ECU to go bad. Not saying it could not happen but pretty rare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ECU 76 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

I'd be looking at the crimp connectors really well, and also the connector to the ballast pack as suggested. That white wire to the ECU is known to break inside the vinyl jacket right where the crimp is. That will drive you nuts because it will work one minute and not the next. Also we have seen bad condensors on the buses do that. The ECU relies on a healthy signal from the points opening and closing.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ECU 76 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I'd be looking at the crimp connectors really well, and also the connector to the ballast pack as suggested. That white wire to the ECU is known to break inside the vinyl jacket right where the crimp is. That will drive you nuts because it will work one minute and not the next. Also we have seen bad condensors on the buses do that. The ECU relies on a healthy signal from the points opening and closing.

On my '77 one of the wires to the four resistors broke right where it crimps to the resistor. It took awhile to figure this out, because it was not obvious and the symptoms indicated tune-up issues like points, condenser, fuel supply or valve lash. It was a surprise to find how much influence having just one disabled resistor could cause. Take a look... that plug to the resistor pack is just hanging there... since the late 1970's Shocked so it's quite a novelty that it didn't fail earlier.

Here's the resistor pack... upper left corner (on my 1978 bus) with the four black wires...

As far as crimp connectors go, where the wire meets the crimp is often a point of stress. You can't see the break. But you can jiggle it and feel the softness and also sometimes have the circuit immediately react. My policy is to routinely replace crimp and spade connectors with quality connectors as I go through the circuits.

People spend a shitload of time arguing about tires and oil, but these machines are basically layers of systems and each system needs equal attention. You should read the prevailing negativity about the refrigerators in the Vanagon forum... but I took the time to learn about how Dometic built them, and I removed mine and serviced it properly. My grub is always cold. My evap core always starts to build up ice after a few days of use.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ECU 76 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
SGKent wrote:

On my '77 one of the wires to the four resistors broke right where it crimps to the resistor. It took awhile to figure this out, because it was not obvious and the symptoms indicated tune-up issues like points, condenser, fuel supply or valve lash. It was a surprise to find how much influence having just one disabled resistor could cause. Take a look... that plug to the resistor pack is just hanging there... since the late 1970's Shocked so it's quite a novelty that it didn't fail earlier.

Here's the resistor pack... upper left corner (on my 1978 bus) with the four black wires...

As far as crimp connectors go, where the wire meets the crimp is often a point of stress. You can't see the break. But you can jiggle it and feel the softness and also sometimes have the circuit immediately react. My policy is to routinely replace crimp and spade connectors with quality connectors as I go through the circuits.

People spend a shitload of time arguing about tires and oil, but these machines are basically layers of systems and each system needs equal attention. You should read the prevailing negativity about the refrigerators in the Vanagon forum... but I took the time to learn about how Dometic built them, and I removed mine and serviced it properly. My grub is always cold. My evap core always starts to build up ice after a few days of use.

I have a fix for that too....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660153&highlight=

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: