Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HorsePower Enhancements/Mods
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vocho_master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

This could be an old question....

I have a 1984 MX Sedan pretty much stock. I would like to increase power from its 45HP engine.

What is the easiest/most economical change that I can implement/gain more power without breaking the bank?

So far I have change the bearings and oil pump. I have also change the ignition to be electronic instead of a mechanical OEM.

HELP HELP HELP.................
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

Full tune up including valve adjustment and carb adjustment. The correct tire pressure also helps.

CHEAP - FAST - RELIABLE
You can only pick 2 of the above.

Increasing the performance can hurt reliability, if you don't do it right. And doing it right costs money.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

Can we see a picture under the rear lid .
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

in the late 1970s it was done in this order as money permitted.

1. add header (thunderbird if you recall them, then you are old)
2. remove heater boxes and run "J" tubes.
3. 009 (not a great choice today apparently)
4. bigger pistons and liners
5. lighten the flywheel (and convert to 8 dowels)
6. larger carb or carbs.
7. change cam. or run ratio rockers to mimic a larger cam
8. change to smaller tires (diameter) in order to create fake lower gearing, which made the car faster off the line and up to the top end. (freeway speeds were 55mph then)

Note that an 1835 was a monster motor back then. I suspect that there are much better ways of making HP now.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

Make it breath better. Dual carbs and a header.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

...Buy a different car

Surprised sorry, it was too easy
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

How thick is your wallet, and what is your mechanical skill level? These two answers can help us give you a more educated guess.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

I'd like to see what a "pretty much stock" 84 MX looks like, just for fun.The engine I mean. I've read and have posted that the 80's MX is a 68 bug with late model tailights, would like to see this confirmed.

Otherwise its how much do you want to spend and also up grade the brakes, (are they drum?) if you go big engine...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

Or you could just put a Zoom Tube on the exhaust so that it sounds fast! That's what i do... Very Happy

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

HOT VWs Magazine recently published an article discussing this exact use case. Sounds like the article was created just for you.

All the mods they applied can be done in an afternoon, and do not require the engine to be pulled...

The mods included:

Header + Exhaust
1.4:1 rocker arms and push rods
Distributor and pulley
Small single barrel dual Weber carbs

The result was a 34% HP increase and more than 10% torque increase. Totally worth the effort in my opinion.

Read the entire article here:
https://hotvws.com/content.php?contentID=38

So many people have opinions on what works. This article really puts those ideas to the test. A really good article.

Last edited by kevlarian on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

bobinphx wrote:
in the late 1970s it was done in this order as money permitted.

6. larger carb or carbs.
8. change to smaller tires (diameter) in order to create fake lower gearing, which made the car faster off the line and up to the top end. (freeway speeds were 55mph then)

Note that an 1835 was a monster motor back then. I suspect that there are much better ways of making HP now.

Shit! I passed the test and recognize that I'm old! Laughing

Your list is spot on. I had a thunderbird muffler and most of the other bolts ons on your list. The only one that needs to be tweaked is #6. It was actually install dual Kadrons which were all the rage back then.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

vocho_master wrote:
This could be an old question....

I have a 1984 MX Sedan pretty much stock. I would like to increase power from its 45HP engine.

What is the easiest/most economical change that I can implement/gain more power without breaking the bank?

So far I have change the bearings and oil pump. I have also change the ignition to be electronic instead of a mechanical OEM.

HELP HELP HELP.................

Was that pic taken at Collin Creek mall? Looks familiar

Nice bug BTW
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

The air cooled vw engine is an efficient air pump! What it lacks is free flow of the air. What I mean by this, is the intake manifold, carbs, valves, and exhaust ALL restrict this flow of air and hinder performance. If you want to see some movement, go to bigger valves. Set your chambers to 66cc, and get a set of dual carbs, to one- reduce the distance between the carb threat and the combustion chamber, and 2 to get the most fuel into every cubic millimeter of air! Make that thing breath easily and it will make you smile.

I put AA heads with 40 intakes and 35 exhaust on my 1600, and I cannot believe the difference!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

How does 34% more Horse Power and 10% more torque *WITHOUT A SINGLE ENGINE MOD* sound? Sounds too good to be true?

Bolt on parts, with proven DYNO results...
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
How does 34% more Horse Power and 10% more torque *WITHOUT A SINGLE ENGINE MOD* sound? Sounds too good to be true?

What do you mean without a single engine mod? A bolt-on part is still an engine mod, if it is bolted on to the engine. Are you paid by the magazines to post like that?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
kevlarian wrote:

What do you mean without a single engine mod? A bolt-on part is still an engine mod, if it is bolted on to the engine. Are you paid by the magazines to post like that?

Robbie

I don't consider a bolt on an "engine mod". But that's cool if you do. Hell no I ain't paid by Hot VW or any other mag. I'm just sayin that that people put claims out all they want. Hot VW Dyno'd it to see the REAL results. Very few people do that. They also did an article about creating a fuel efficient ride that tried all sorts of options looking for the best results. Another great article that tested solutions.

I feel like many people make statements with no proof other than "trust me" or "I've done it that way for years" without actual documented proof.

This guy is trying to squeeze out as much power from his stock motor as possible. This was the same goal of Hot VW's article. I found it rather fitting for the OP request.

We could argue the finer points of what an "Engine Modification" is/isn't - You might consider replacing points with a elec. ignition an engine mod. That's cool. I don't. I just consider that a elec. ignition replacement for points. I might say "I've modified my exhaust" or "I've modified my carbs" but wouldn't say I've modified the engine, unless I've made Engine changes... I guess the Rods might be considered an engine MOD... SO EVEN in my own logic, I stand corrected Smile

To ME and engine mod is boring the cyls, stage 1/2/3 port and polish, etc. Bolt on items... meh... not so much. But I'm cool with that. If you feel I'm misleading anyone, I'll go back in and remove my comments. And If I have offended you by referencing an article when I'm attempting to give the OP all the information he can have to make an informed decision... then I apologize.

Honestly, I feel putting Dual Kadrons instead of those tiny Webers would provide even more power, and a better option, but Hey! That's cool, too.
vocho_master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the engine bay.

I have changed the ignition to get a more secure spark.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't consider a bolt on an "engine mod". But that's cool if you do. Hell no I ain't paid by Hot VW or any other mag. I'm just sayin that that people put claims out all they want. Hot VW Dyno'd it to see the REAL results. Very few people do that. They also did an article about creating a fuel efficient ride that tried all sorts of options looking for the best results. Another great article that tested solutions.

I feel like many people make statements with no proof other than "trust me" or "I've done it that way for years" without actual documented proof.

This guy is trying to squeeze out as much power from his stock motor as possible. This was the same goal of Hot VW's article. I found it rather fitting for the OP request.

We could argue the finer points of what an "Engine Modification" is/isn't - You might consider replacing points with a elec. ignition an engine mod. That's cool. I don't. I just consider that a elec. ignition replacement for points. I might say "I've modified my exhaust" or "I've modified my carbs" but wouldn't say I've modified the engine, unless I've made Engine changes... I guess the Rods might be considered an engine MOD... SO EVEN in my own logic, I stand corrected Smile

To ME and engine mod is boring the cyls, stage 1/2/3 port and polish, etc. Bolt on items... meh... not so much. But I'm cool with that. If you feel I'm misleading anyone, I'll go back in and remove my comments. And If I have offended you by referencing an article when I'm attempting to give the OP all the information he can have to make an informed decision... then I apologize.

Honestly, I feel putting Dual Kadrons instead of those tiny Webers would provide even more power, and a better option, but Hey! That's cool, too.

Pay no attention to Robbie. I enjoyed the link and most of us here would agree with your definition of engine mods. Interesting to see what can be accomplished with bolt on items.

Click to view image
vocho_master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

Interesting link, I think that it gives me a good start. I have already with the ignition. I like the #2 and #7.

In JBUGS #2 is listed for $21.00

I need to find a good price for #7

6. larger carb or carbs.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: HorsePower Enhancements/Mods Reply with quote

Thanks for the engine pic. Looks like it has been modified at some point as I doubt Chrome shrouds were factory, but heck, I don't know.

I have a 1989 issue of Hot VW's that does about the same bolt on mods as posted above. They used dellorto FRD's as the dual carbs though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: