Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

I have purchased an inline Oil Temp Fan Switch. My oil creeps up to 220+ after just a short 15m run @ 65MPH w/RPM = 3100. I'm running a low compression 1915cc motor. It already has an external Oil cooler/full flow and the cooler has a fan on it. Unfortunately, the fan isn't hooked up because there isn't any way to control it.

The fan is located above the transmission, and it's impossible to reach the cooler hose inputs. So, I wanted to possibly mount the switch right off the oil pump outlet as that would be closest to the true oil temp, right? also, I believe I can install it with the threaded end directly into the opening, bypassing yet another hose clamp scenario.

Can I get your thoughts on such a setup?

Also, I've been using Teflon tape with all of my threaded connectors, is that cool too?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

Why don't you just install a toggle switch for the fan?
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:

Why?
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:

Why?

Easier to do and cheaper. When your temps get up, flip the switch.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

You don't need any sealer, (tape, paste, anything) on the fittings like you have pictured. Using tape instead of paste sealer is another debate altogether.. it can work, and it can go wrong if you're not sure of what you are doing..
I've installed a few fan switches, and the switch doesn't seem to mind where it goes, just put it on the IN (to the cooler) line and it should be fine.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

how does it do after 30 minutes? an hour? Where are you measuring the oil temps?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
how does it do after 30 minutes? an hour? Where are you measuring the oil temps?
Oil temp taken on the underside. Oil pressure relief spring replacement. I've taken it out for 30 minutes and it doesn't get much hotter, maybe 5-10 more. But that's entirely too hot. Oil pressure drops below 10 @ 1000 rpm idle. That's with 20-50w. So if it fits in the oil pump outlet, I'm not adding another point for the oil to leak...
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

esde wrote:
You don't need any sealer, (tape, paste, anything) on the fittings like you have pictured. Using tape instead of paste sealer is another debate altogether.. it can work, and it can go wrong if you're not sure of what you are doing..
I've installed a few fan switches, and the switch doesn't seem to mind where it goes, just put it on the IN (to the cooler) line and it should be fine.
like I said. The cooler is listed above the transmission. I can't get to it without dropping the engine/trans. So I'm needing to put it somewhere... Just want to see if I can put it in another threaded location. Would it be better to put it where the inlet is on the engine block?
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
Brian wrote:
Oil temp taken on the underside. Oil pressure relief spring replacement. I've taken it out for 30 minutes and it doesn't get much hotter, maybe 5-10 more. But that's entirely too hot. Oil pressure drops below 10 @ 1000 rpm idle. That's with 20-50w. So if it fits in the oil pump outlet, I'm not adding another point for the oil to leak...

There's your problem. Dump that road far 20-50 and put either straight 30 or any good 10-30 high zinc oil in it. Your temps will drop.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
kevlarian wrote:
Brian wrote:

There's your problem. Dump that road far 20-50 and put either straight 30 or any good 10-30 high zinc oil in it. Your temps will drop.

I reject that totally. I was running 10w-30 and it was worse... Besides, our engines do run on Multi-Grade 20w-50 per VW!

Quote:
Back in the days when Muir was still fixing VWs and oil came in cans, multi-grade oils were still somewhat experimental. Eventually the oil companies managed to formulate them into the flexible product we use today. By the mid-70's, VW had published an engine oil viscosity specification chart that superseded all prior advice on oil selection and they were able to recommend multi-grade oil. Because VW engine technology is stuck in the 70's so are a lot of opinions about oil.
The idea behind multi-grade oil is simple. Take 10w30 as an example: behave like a 10W oil at 32F (in order to protect the engine during startup) and behave like a SAE30 oil at 212F for protection during normal running temperature. This is something that a single-grade oil cannot do.

This picture is from the 1975 Owners Manual (Type 1 Beetle)

Notice the multi-weight recommendation. It's been super hot here in SoCal lately. hitting 100+ multiple days in a row. The 20w-50 has made a tremendous difference, but it still gets a little too thin on the hot days. Since I have the fan already installed, why not take advantage of it? Right?

http://vw-resource.com/engine_oil.html#grade
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
esde wrote:
like I said. The cooler is listed above the transmission. I can't get to it without dropping the engine/trans. So I'm needing to put it somewhere... Just want to see if I can put it in another threaded location. Would it be better to put it where the inlet is on the engine block?

I just meant the line that has oil going in to the cooler, not that it has to be mounted on the cooler itself. . Mounting it at the pump outlet is fine if you have room.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

Fan switch (thermostatic switch) should be on return side of oil going back to engine from cooler, that way it will only run if oil returning from cooler is hotter than temperature setting of switch....

Want proper thermostatic switch?. ... Forget toggle switch and do it right, overcome complexities of how/where switch placement is, other wise you will never be happy with any shortcut way you do it...

Fitting in picture of OP are self sealing (AN style) and the taper (angle) on end of fitting causes a true metal to metal seal... No Tape or paste needed..

As for tape, sealer debate, get good general purpose paste sealer that is oil/gas/solvent approved, I have serious problems when it comes to tape, and have never been able to get satisfactory wrap on fittings and always end up with bits and pieces inside the plumbing... I hate tapes... Actually tape is not a true sealer, it's a thread lubricant so you can tighten fitting tighter and get better thread seal.... May actually allow you to over tighten connection and cause it to fail...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

This has always been my go to sealer as I can use on home repairs and automotive applications...

https://www.doitbest.com/products/437094

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

Why do you think 220*F is too hot. Have you ever read what the oil companies say about using their products. Maybe you should ask the oil companies what to use. The oil companies say 220* is safe and you don't need to panic until you see above 235* for dyno oil or above 250* for synthetic oil.

DO NOT confuse normal water temps of a water cooled engine with normal oil temps.

Yes you can put your electric thermostat switch at the engine case where oil enters into the engine. If it were my car I'd just wire the fan to a toggle switch on the dash and turn it on/off whenever it got above 200*
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Why do you think 220*F is too hot. Have you ever read what the oil companies say about using their products. Maybe you should ask the oil companies what to use. The oil companies say 220* is safe and you don't need to panic until you see above 235* for dyno oil or above 250* for synthetic oil.

DO NOT confuse normal water temps of a water cooled engine with normal oil temps.

Yes you can put your electric thermostat switch at the engine case where oil enters into the engine. If it were my car I'd just wire the fan to a toggle switch on the dash and turn it on/off whenever it got above 200*

Exactly what I said. Yep...quick and simple to do
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

Put it where it goes back into the case. The cooler may cool it off before it goes back with fan off, 220 out is probably colder going back in with fan off.
I wire to a relay that is always hot. That way if the fan is on when you turn off it will cool down the oil and get some heat out from under the vehicle. Some say it doesnt make a difference. New cars do it so why not. Switches are good if you like messing with things. I'd rather not worry about watching gauges and flipping switches at the right time.
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the temp switch. I love the diagram. Really helpful.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

My oil line comes out of pump cover to filter....out of filter to oil cooler...inline 180 degree temp switch is here...cool oil co.es out of cooler to fitting on case and to the hearings....cooler does it's job well as the oil coming back out gets under 180 degrees while still driving and the fan will shut off. Oil has gotten to 195 once since I installed the cooler(I was doing high rpm runs through 3rd gear on back roads near my house) it it cooled off quickly. This is the first time I've used an external cooler and with a fan and as far as I'm concerned I will not build another striker without one.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
My oil line comes out of pump cover to filter....out of filter to oil cooler...inline 180 degree temp switch is here...cool oil co.es out of cooler to fitting on case and to the hearings....cooler does it's job well as the oil coming back out gets under 180 degrees while still driving and the fan will shut off. Oil has gotten to 195 once since I installed the cooler(I was doing high rpm runs through 3rd gear on back roads near my house) it it cooled off quickly. This is the first time I've used an external cooler and with a fan and as far as I'm concerned I will not build another striker without one.

That's exactly what I'm looking for... based on the diagram, putting the temp switch on the cooler OUTPUT seems to be the appropriate solution. But none the less, I love hearing your results.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

[quote="jason"]I wire to a relay that is always hot. That way if the fan is on when you turn off it will cool down the oil and get some heat out from under the vehicle. [quote]

That's how mine is wired, I forget where the thermostat switch is, but my fan will run for a minute or two after I shut the car off if it's a hot day and I've been pushing it hard..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Location of inline Oil Temp Fan Switch Reply with quote

A while back I went through the same process. If it help, here is how I wired mine:

Hope this helps.
dgsaz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: