Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 2.0 L FI stumble
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlieffering
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

Hey guys, this is my first post but I have been lurking around The Samba for the last 5-6 years. I've finally decided to create a post because I've pulled all my hair out trying to figure out whats wrong with my van.

When driving along, my van has a fairly severe stumble, this symptom has been described in a few different ways on this site (bucking, lurching)
After completing a long list of checks and and changing LOTS of parts, I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong with it. Evil or Very Mad

A list of checks I've preformed:

Compression test: all cylinders within specs 125- 150 psi

Valve check: adjusted to .006

Timing checked: set to 7.5 BTDC

Fuel pressure check while driving: 30 psi when idling, goes to 35 when accelerating. (drained and checked fuel tank for debris)

Vacuum leak check: 15" hg does not appear to have any vaccum leaks.

Went through and cleaned all electrical connections including FI ground wires

Gone through the AFC training and trouble shooting guide: fuel injection components seem to be within specs.

Now for a list of parts Ive changed:

New Heads (within the last 2 years)
temp sensor II
petronix electronic ignition
changed ignition coil with a known working one from my beetle (bosch)
plugs and wires
cap and rotor
new intake S boot (mine was cracked)
rebuilt fuel injectors (tested for flow and spray pattern)
replaced all fuel lines and filter (filter was clean of debris)
changed complete FI wiring harness (with a known working one)
swapped out AFM and ECU (with known working ones)

As I said above, I am at a loss as to what the problem is with my van. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

Is your bus a California or federal model?

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

dlieffering wrote:
When driving along, my van has a fairly severe stumble,

Can you give more detail about this? Is this steady cruise? Accelerating? Coasting? Does it stumble more or less when you get on the gas?
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

Does the pertronix replace the Ignition Control Unit (ECU) or just the pick up coil in the distributor?

Do you have a catalytic converter? Does it rattle when you hit it with you fist?

Have you tried removing or disconnecting the cold start injector?

When do you have the symptom? At cruise , on level surface, under load, going up hills, etc? Does it resolve after a time or there always? With engine cold or after it's been driven for a while?

Do you have a decell valve? Picture of the rubber boot from AFC to manifold would tell.

Have you tried disconnecting the EGR valve if it has one?

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlieffering
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for responding!
I believe my bus is a federal model, because when i first got it it had points installed. It also has mechanical lifters instead of hydraulic. Also i don't recall seeing a catalytic converter on my bus.
The stumble usually occurs at a steady cruse and/or when accelerating, and it does seem to worsen when I give it more gas.

The Petronix replaces the ignition points in the distributor.
Thanks scubaseas I will try to bypass the cold start injector, if it is leaking it may cause a rich state.
I have not tried to disconect the EGR valve. Not exactly sure what it looks like or what it does on my van.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

Not sure how important the ground strap for the moving plate in the distributor is when you have an electronic module installed. Have you checked all the pins in the plugs that plug into the AFM and the ECU.

Maybe the coil is failing or maybe one of the relays in the double relay is getting weak?
dlieffering
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Not sure how important the ground strap for the moving plate in the distributor is when you have an electronic module installed.

Thanks wildthings, I've noticed that the ground strap in my distributor looks pretty worn and frayed. I wasn't sure if that would have an impact on my ignition. Any thoughts? The pins in the wiring harness appear good, I've tested some of them for resistance. They all checked out.
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

The petronixs pick up shouldn't need a ground strap to work but if your breaker plate is loose that could give your symptoms.

If you have access to one, try replacing the Ignition Control Module. Make sure to put heat sink grease on it if leaving it in permanently. Usually a bad ICM will have hard hot no start or not start at all. If you tried a known good coil, your rotor, cap and wires are OK, then that leaves the petronix or the ICM. Doubt if this is the issue but easy to rule out if you have access to another ICM.

You have either a spark problem or a fuel/mixture problem.

A bad decel valve is more likely suspect. You can simply pinch or block off the two big hoses and see if that has an effect.

You can find good info at www.ratwell.com . Does your system look like this? http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses/VacuumLines_to_76.5.jpg

Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

there was a recent post where (depending on the pertronics you had there was a bad miss

turns out the module can't compensate for the #3 being slightly retarded and makes the unit throw fits

almost the bottom of the page here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

scubaseas wrote:

If you have access to one, try replacing the Ignition Control Module. Make sure to put heat sink grease on it if leaving it in permanently. Usually a bad ICM will have hard hot no start or not start at all. If you tried a known good coil, your rotor, cap and wires are OK, then that leaves the petronix or the ICM. Doubt if this is the issue but easy to rule out if you have access to another ICM.

Don't think he will be able to find an ICM on a '79 Federal Transporter. Crying or Very sad
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

I would pull the Pertronix and replace with points. Easy and cheap. That would eliminate the electronic Pertronix.
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't think he will be able to find an ICM on a '79 Federal Transporter.

Sorry, just going off the diagram on Samba

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_79_color.jpg

Retired
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

scubaseas wrote:
Quote:
Don't think he will be able to find an ICM on a '79 Federal Transporter.

Sorry, just going off the diagram on Samba

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_79_color.jpg

That diagram is for California models which did not use points and condenser but a Hall sensor coupled with an ignition module.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

I assume that you also have a mechanical lifter camshaft?

When it is missing does it help to ground out the TSII?
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

Quote:
but a Hall sensor coupled with an ignition module.

I stand corrected . I have no intimate knowledge of 79's in particular.

How is the trigger signal for the injectors generated for the Fuel Injection ECU? Is there a TDC sensor? Or points triggers like on D Jetronic?

In other words what tells the injectors when to fire? They are electric fuel injectors, no?

Retired
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

scubaseas wrote:
Quote:
but a Hall sensor coupled with an ignition module.

I stand corrected . I have no intimate knowledge of 79's in particular.

How is the trigger signal for the injectors generated for the Fuel Injection ECU? Is there a TDC sensor? Or points triggers like on D Jetronic?

In other words what tells the injectors when to fire? They are electric fuel injectors, no?

Wire off the ignition to the ECU. A diagram is in the bentley manual.
dlieffering
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

Great suggestions guys..
I am planning on working on the van in the next few days, it will be interesting to see what the culprit part is.
Stay tuned.. Cool
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
there was a recent post where (depending on the pertronics you had there was a bad miss

turns out the module can't compensate for the #3 being slightly retarded and makes the unit throw fits

almost the bottom of the page here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

A very interesting read, I had no idea that bus distributor shafts had lobe #3 retarded 4 degrees (and I still don't understand why). You learn something new everyday.

However, to rule out possible causes, I don't think that's the case here.

If I understood it correctly, the problem described on that other thread was about someone having replaced the stock distributor with an aftermarket Pertronix one, yet having replaced the aftermarket shaft with the stock one (or Pertronix themselves having mistakenly assembled their distributor with the wrong shaft). Why anyone would buy an expensive plug-and-play distributor and modify it to build a Frankenstein one with the old shaft is beyond me. That's because the other thought about Pertronix selling a distributor that does not work with their own electronic points unit is even more disturbing.

But all in all, this brings up a good point about distributors. To the OP:

• What's the part number of your distributor? (You can see it stamped on the side of its body)
• Do the advance mechanisms work? (I assume it's a SVDA distributor for a '79 Federal bus). With the rotor cap off (and distributor on the engine), you can check the mechanical advance by turning the plate counterclockwise until it stops, and watch it return to the original position. You can check the vacuum advance by unplugging the vacuum pipe and either sucking from the port or using a hand vacuum pump and then checking that the advance plate moves and it holds vacuum for at least 20 seconds.
• Could you post a picture of your yellow emissions sticker behind the engine compartment door? That should confirm that it is a Federal model and tell you if the timing the bus is set to is indeed correct.

Decode your M-Plate
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

I would suspect but don't know that any distributors with a retarded #3 lobe would have been sold with non dog house Type 1 engines. Removing the oil cooler from the air flow path to the left bank of cylinders fixed the problem with burning the exhaust valve on the #3 cylinder and would have made a retarded spark on #3 unnecessary.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 2.0 L FI stumble Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I would suspect but don't know that any distributors with a retarded #3 lobe would have been sold with non dog house Type 1 engines. Removing the oil cooler from the air flow path to the left bank of cylinders fixed the problem with burning the exhaust valve on the #3 cylinder and would have made a retarded spark on #3 unnecessary.

I believe Wildthings is correct on this. The #3 retarded lobe was no longer used by VW after the late 60s.

It should be easy enough to verify: put your timing light on the #1 spark plug lead. Note the timing at idle. Then put your timing light on #3 spark plug lead. Note timing again. Same? No retard. Less by 3-4 degrees? Retarded.

OP: check your AAR elbow. They like to crack underneath where you can't see during a casual inspection. Seemingly random stumbling at highway speeds is exactly the sort of symptom that a leaking AAR elbow can give you. For that matter, you should do a more comprehensive job of ruling out vacuum leaks than simply confirming that you have 15" of vacuum.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: