Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few general questions about Type 4 Engines
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

First, are all type 4 engine parts the same, regardless of what vehicle they were used in? I need some tin pieces, as long as they are type 4 am I ok? Does anyone have a good source for these, I need both lower tin for sides 1-2 and 3-4 and also the top cylinder 1-2 cylinder side.
Next, I was watching the "Awesome Powdercoat Type iV engine tin install videos and his heat ex changers are different from mine, If I buy type 4 lower tin will it work with these?
I had my engine rebuilt by Brothers and believe it to be a 2.0, I have already been told the fan shroud is not from a 78, but seems to work fine. What else can you tell by the photo?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

Dats one creepy dawg
’65 Deluxe Build
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

that puppy is smart enough to know that as long as that engine sits there
there will be no bus rides with his/her snout out of the passenger window. lol.
There were at least two different heat exchanger set ups, linked two
the two different exhaust port designs, oval & square(later models).
The cylinder 1/2 tin should be universal for bus applications, but there is
914/411 tin that would also be different, you want bus tin, for fuel injection
use. The bottom tins? The early right side had a vent hole for the fuel pump,
so you do want later fuel injection engine bottom tins as well, to fit your
specific heat exchangers, at least one tin fastener per side attaches to them.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Dats one creepy dawg

Ouch! No puppy love in the Bay forum?? Very Happy
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

I have to admit, Hurricane my Pomeranian is like no other dog we have ever had, oddest looking pet we have ever had. However he is the best shop dog I have ever had! Never jumps when the compressor kicks on, does not chase other dogs. Pretty good dog, but the last thing I wanted was a little lap dog! My wife picked him out.

Back to VW's
Is there a way I can identify my motor, The boy said it was a 2.0 when I bought it and said the engine compartment was original. What I have learned is the fan shroud is a different year, the engine came fuel injected but there were no signs of FI on this engine. More then likely its a completely different block.
I had Brother in Ontario, CA build the engine, on the receipt they have:
T4 Long Block
1910 CC
Heads 39 x 34
Solid Lifters
C-35 Cam
009 Electronic Distributor
and I purchased a set of 44 webbers

timvw7476 wrote:

There were at least two different heat exchanger set ups, linked two
the two different exhaust port designs, oval & square(later models).

My exhaust is oval. So it's the early design?

The cylinder 1/2 tin should be universal for bus applications, but there is
914/411 tin that would also be different, you want bus tin, for fuel injection
use. The bottom tins?

Watching Awesome Powdercoating video's there are two tins on the bottom, I do not have either. Did the FI come with them? I am assuming I need them. My engine does not have the thermostat assembly but I am getting AP's thermostat

The early right side had a vent hole for the fuel pump,
so you do want later fuel injection engine bottom tins as well, to fit your
specific heat exchangers, at least one tin fastener per side attaches to them.

I will run a electric fuel pump more then likely so my main concern will be the correct lower tin to match the exchangers.

[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

the cam is too much for a bus. More a sand rail cam - something with high end power. That isn't to say that it won't have power. In general bus engines last longest when they are kept below 4500 RPM and that cam is a 6,000 RPM cam. Nothing you can do but enjoy it.

What year is the bus
What is the code on the engine case
You want to get away from the 009 distributor and get something that also has a single vacuum can. You can use the 009 in the meantime.

If those are the heater boxes you are using you will need late 1976 to 1978 tin. The breather will work with carbs but not FI
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

Charlie57 wrote:
First, are all type 4 engine parts the same, regardless of what vehicle they were used in? I need some tin pieces, as long as they are type 4 am I ok?

The short answer is no. The Type 4 engine was used in the VW 411 and 412, the Porsche 914, the VW Bus from 1972 to 1979, and the VW Vanagon from 1980-1982.

There's a lot of different tin depending on the application and even the year of the application.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

Nevermind. I was bass-ackwards.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martinph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

I put a type 4 engine in my 68 Bay. I custom made my own tin. It works well, but if you are after a stock look. then its not the answer. I was able to use the very front tin and very rear tin from a later model.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

Put the year of your bus in the Title.

Look under Vehicle ID and Parts ID
Tech Tips
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?

The Heater Box's you have are for a 1975-78. See if the other Exh. pieces match up. Pay special attention to A-B Exhaust manifolds. Do they take a Oval or Square gasket?
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/2exh7279.htm#251B
p=7271723#7271723]Type IV 4 Exhaust Install[/url]

I need both lower tins
75-78 Type 4 Engine Tin

I have already been told the fan shroud is not from a 1978
The fan shroud could be off any type 4. Yours looks like a 73-74, note the two smog pump mounts on top. You cannot go by that. You need the Engine Case numbers.
Go down to engine case numbers
VIN, Chassis, Engine number locations

Good luck
Tcash
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

That DS exhaust /heater box looks like my 78 California piece.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
That DS exhaust /heater box looks like my 78 California piece.[img]
[/img]

That's a '79 Cali exhaust in your picture. And that's a 75-78 exhaust the OP has.
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A few general questions about Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help. My engine code is CB041862 which means it's a 1972-73 1.7L.

I have a post I started called "Restoring my 78 from the ground up" I'll start posting everything there, so please FOLLOW it (lol) I'm going to have plenty of questions.
Charlie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: