Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

IMO you need to rotate the bracket counter clockwise a bit to put the bolt of the shackle in a position of shear. as it sits that bolt looks more to be in tension and would be more susceptible to failure as it sits. it also looks like the latch would hook up easier as well. Just a thought. Idea
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

Quote:
My wife's family had a few buses growing up. She's one of 3 girls... one of them got to sit on the milk crate somehow tied to the back of the passenger seat. It's okay though - it had a cushion on top Smile We often joke about that...

Wow. A lot of those cushions had asbestos in them.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I got thrown off (almost, a bit of hyperbole) our local social network when I posted that safety seats don't go bad after 5 years because of plastic degradation - to be fair, about half the locals saw it as pure marketing ploy by the seat mfg...but logic, facts, reasoning, testimony of first responders who say they never see failures of material....just didn't matter.

People cling to opinions based on five major factors - recognising which one is in play can save you a lot of time..

Herd mentality
Social Pressure
Facts
Psychology/Religion
Investment

Absolution - from responsibility and guilt should something go wrong. I think that's another major factor.
Radrick123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback. I think for now I will try and reverse the shackle and also thread the lap belt through the carseat for redundancy. Does that make sense?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

Radrick123 wrote:
Thanks all for the feedback. I think for now I will try and reverse the shackle and also thread the lap belt through the carseat for redundancy. Does that make sense?

As long as it isnt made in China. Taiwan, US, EU will be okay steel. If you want to nail it, get a Wicard brand from France which will exceed its rating by a wide margin.
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

You do realize that the LATCH weight limit for child and seat combined is 65lbs, yes?

When the weight of the child and seat combined exceed 65lb, then the seat should be installed using the vehicle seat belts instead. LATCH is mostly aimed at convenience.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
Our top tether strap could be safer though - my F-in-law attached 2 U bolts to the board on the back of the rear seatback.

I would fix that pronto.
(sold - but not forgotten)
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
You do realize that the LATCH weight limit for child and seat combined is 65lbs, yes?

When the weight of the child and seat combined exceed 65lb, then the seat should be installed using the vehicle seat belts instead. LATCH is mostly aimed at convenience.

That would require reading the car seat instructions.... My wife is a car seat fitter and a few of the guys here at work needed many special training sessions in order to fit car seats into crash test vehicles.

You should see how a car seat and dummy flail around the cabin when latch systems fail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smushy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

samwise wrote:

Is there any problem with using the factory lapbelt attachment method? I was going to use this on a child seat in my Bus and the instructions do include option for a regular lapbelt. I don't see the benefit to the Latch/Clip methods (are they for convenience?)

Anyone have opinion on the strength of 50 year old belts for this purpose - even if they are visibly in great condition? I could see the merit or replacing them but I also don't want to replace them with cheap unsafe junk either.
1973 Type2 Kombi
1977 Rabbit
1961 & 1964 Heilite Single Wheel
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

Smushy wrote:
Is there any problem with using the factory lapbelt attachment method? I was going to use this on a child seat in my Bus and the instructions do include option for a regular lapbelt. I don't see the benefit to the Latch/Clip methods (are they for convenience?)

Anyone have opinion on the strength of 50 year old belts for this purpose - even if they are visibly in great condition? I could see the merit or replacing them but I also don't want to replace them with cheap unsafe junk either.

Using the factory lap or shoulder-lap belt is a much better option, as long as it is fitted correctly - most fire departments have someone on staff who is an expert at fitting them if the owner is insure.

Personally, I'm changing all my original belts to new ones (mine are from SeatBeltsPlus) - $81 for each front seat (with the 18" cable buckle end) is good piece of mind. There are other options out there, too, naturally.
6BUG3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you rate my child seatbelt upgrade? Reply with quote

I think you should hook it up and then PULL ON IT AS HARD AS YOU CAN!!!! BREAK IT!!!! if you can't, continue using it. if it breaks throw it away and learn a lesson.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: