Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PPI Albuquerque - 68 Bay Window Double Cab
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkstar.nc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: PPI Albuquerque - 68 Bay Window Double Cab Reply with quote

Looking for a good mechanic to do a PPI (pre purchase inspection) on a '68 double cab in Albuquerque, NM and would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Albuquerque - 68 Bay Window Double Cab Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!
Business Listing Search
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/search.php

Good luck
Tcash
darkstar.nc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Albuquerque - 68 Bay Window Double Cab Reply with quote

Thank you for pointing me at this link.

I found several of these with various on-line searches. However, some of these are 200 to 250 miles from Albuquerque, others have moved out of state, and others have extremely poor on-line reviews for customer service.

I was hoping someone local could point me at an "off the beaten track" mechanic in Albuquerque who could do the PPI.

As a Raleigh local for 30+ years I know if someone was looking for a PPI in this area there is a mechanic not on the list I would highly recommend. (-:
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Albuquerque - 68 Bay Window Double Cab Reply with quote

Sorry but I can’t think of a soul in that area. Maybe check the schedule of our famous traveling mechanic and see if he will be close at some point.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Albuquerque - 68 Bay Window Double Cab Reply with quote

You could try contacting VW clubs and vendors in the area, and ask them for referrals.
Clubs
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/clubs/

VW Business Listing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/

Good luck
Tcash
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Albuquerque - 68 Bay Window Double Cab Reply with quote

Maybe you could shoot a PM to Samba member jamtonio. He puts on a bus event in Albuquerque, maybe he could help you out.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683946

Samba member Jtauxe is in Los Alamos, NM. I think that's around a 2 hour drive from Albuquerque. If I remember correctly he has 2 single cabs, maybe he'd be willing to help or knows someone in the Albuquerque area who could.

Good luck.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: PPI Albuquerque - 68 Bay Window Double Cab Reply with quote

Indeed.

I am 100 miles north of ABQ, and do own a 1975 SC and a 1978 DC, and have owned about 15 other buses. I am not a professional mechanic, but I have a lot of experience in buying buses and know what to look for.

Turns out I am heading out on a trip to, of all places, Raleigh, NC, tomorrow (Tuesday 26 Sep 2017) morning. Funny that! I will be there on business Wed/Thu, then moving into serious music making mode with old friends and the bluegrass festival over the weekend. Returning Monday to New Mexico. Since I will be getting into ABQ about 4 PM Mountain on Monday, I could in fact pull off a visit to the truck before heading home.

Good thing you caught me before I left, so that I can load some tools and camera and stuffs into the car before I head down.

EDIT: PPI complete. The Raby engine may be awesome, but the truck was not running, sadly. The body is a rusty crusty mess.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: