Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late bay cargo floor advice
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giftshopduane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Late bay cargo floor advice Reply with quote

I've started tackling the cargo floor on my 76 Bay.. I have a few questions about the process.

I removed the mostly decent floor out of my 79, the drivers side section on the 76 was rough, but the pass panel is solid, albeit with a lot of surface rust and a couple of very small sections that will take a patch. I will use the original 79 dr side panel and use patches from a crap repop panel, and pass side from the 79 floor, mostly at the outer edges, lip at back of drivers seat riser and flat section above inner rocker.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1. How is the rear section between the wheel wells tackled? Underneath, split the lip and slide the floor back under? Or cut at the inside corner and stitch weld it to the panel?

2. I was thinking its a good idea to leave the pass side cargo floor in, media blast it, both sides and seal with masterseries silver. Should I be concerned with the areas where it spot welds to the supports, or will blasting and sealing the contact area be fine?

3. Underneath the plates for the middle seat mounts needs to be addressed, are they just attached with the small beads of weld on the perimeter?

This bus sat for a long time stripped, the drivers side took the brunt of the weather, the pass side is surprisingly solid.

I will piece together the areas in need on the cross members while the rockers are out.

I've spent my life under the hood, this is my first time tackling bodywork and a resto.

thanks for looking

Chris
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay cargo floor advice Reply with quote

Shocked you may want to tackle the frame rails first.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay cargo floor advice Reply with quote

Now that the floor is out, why not take care of the rust on the front and rear outriggers, B pilars, cargo rocker and long wall rocker, etc. Shame to replace the floor and cover all that back up.

It is a lot of work though, but your in deep now anyway.
giftshopduane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay cargo floor advice Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Shocked you may want to tackle the frame rails first.

Correct.. as I stated in my post, I will blast everything underneath, replace whats rotted (C pillar repair, outriggers, inner outer sills both side, wonky side panel, I have a perfect donor, the rest is rust/scale abatement and pulling some minor dings out, looks worse than it is) the rails are solid as are the majority of the cross members, some scabbing in of a couple of ends. Mostly scaly surface rust, I wouldn't have thought of just swapping the floor out as is.

Solid and straight corners, doglegs, floorpan, front panel, old respray, a responsible amount of filler on one panel. Needs the typical repairs, I have a solid mechanical/interior/patch panel donor bus that looks a lot nicer than this but is a tragedy, poorly patched, 3/8 bondo everywhere, rotted frame, construction adhesive holding panels on, rivets everywhere and a thick shiny coat of paint hiding it all.

Big job, yes. Worth it to me, yes.

Cutting my bodywork teeth on the bay. I have other projects in the wings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: