Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Tim,
That's a two man operation. We used something similar at USAir. Works good for raising the tire high enough to slide onto the axle. The dolly is one man. Adjust it to the correct height and it takes the weight of the wheel at which point one guy can easily slide a very heavy wheel off by himself and roll it to the side.

Maybe my description is not the best. But the tool I depicted is a one man operation.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

This is funny,every week i do at least one semi trailer brake job,2 or 3 axles 4 tires per axle each weighting between 2 -3 hundred lb,only tool I use is a 3 foot bar,crouch down beside the tire,put my shoulder against the tire and steady it by putting my arm around the tire them rolling the tire onto the bar and then lifting the tire onto the hub,did this more time then I care to remember.And I'm a tall skinny 60 year old.I do this after using a 12 lb mall to break the wheels and brake drum free from the hub.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

[quote="Alan Brase"]
Busstom wrote:
then get the tires on both toes or insteps of my feet. Only slight motion of my feet will line up the holes.

I do the same but sometimes use the insides of different parts of my legs. I can hold a wheel/tire steady against the drum that way and start all the bolts.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

Well I ache at times. Whether I work hard or not. Last night my right shoulder kept me awake because of that brake job. I spent $227 today hoping to avoid that in the future. I have several tools that I've bought in the last few years to limit my exposure to health problems like carpal tunnel, etc. You heros go ahead and beat yourselves to death, or not. I'm just telling you about myself. We all have choices and the ones I'm making hopefully will help me stay healthy enough going forward to let me continue to enjoy my passion which is working with tools. I'll let you know what I think.

Afterthought:
I've been a professional mechanic since 1983 when the government gave me a license. I've known several fellow mechanics who've suffered back and wrist problems. I've known several who've also lost fingers on the job. So far, I'm not one of those guys.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound

Last edited by aeromech on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

I have an alignment pin that I use on the Thing sometimes. That is nice because with the wide 5 wheels, it is rather difficult to hold the rim up as you get a bolt started otherwise. The hubs on the Bus' and its much smaller opening makes it easy enough for me to use the foot trick or whatever to get a bolt started.

The alignment pin is not much more than an aluminum "dowel" about 5 inches long with a couple threads. You thread it in and lift the wheel up and slide one of the bolt holes over the pin. That supports it enough to pretty easily swivel the tire to a point to start the other 4 bolts.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

No doubt if you're only going to consider mechanics on just one vehicle, a person could collect several specific tools. The brake job was on a 2013 Kia Sorrento.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

[i]Maybe my description is not the best. But the tool I depicted is a one man[/i

I'm thinking about using one on a Boeing. It took one guy on the end of the handle and another on the tire to line everything up before mating the wheel. It's possible I guess for a guy to do that by himself on a bus. Once the wheel comes off using the fork, a guy would still need to lay the wheel down and then later lift it up to reinstall. I think the dolly is a much better method.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

Any time I can make use of a tool that saves my back or shoulders I take advantage of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

[quote="scottyrocks"]
Alan Brase wrote:
Busstom wrote:
then get the tires on both toes or insteps of my feet. Only slight motion of my feet will line up the holes.

I do the same but sometimes use the insides of different parts of my legs. I can hold a wheel/tire steady against the drum that way and start all the bolts.

I think something got wonky with that quote...those aren't my words Wink

But I've used that - and your - method in years past. I used to sit on the ground, roll the tire up onto my lap, then simply lift my knees and hoist er up to the holes...but I'm tired of crawling on the ground these days...especially since I'm often wearing shorts when I wrench, don't want dirty tires on my legs (I know, I know Embarassed )

I'm looking forward to Gary's review.....but I may be a bit cheap, I guess...of course, $227 is worth it to save some lumbar discs!
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

Shoulder and arm pain is pretty common in the trade,vibration from power tools is what bothers me the most.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

I've found power tools take huge wear and tear off my hands and wrists when wrenching. I just did a garage door in two hours, all the lags and hardware done with a Bosch18 V

To the older guys without hurts..Great! Just remember, when they do come, you won't cure. I'm paying attention to anything that reduces wear and tear.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

Ha, had to laugh at "us old guys " I'm putting up fire wood, for the last two weeks and yesterday swapped out both rear axles and re-adjusted the torsion bars on the bus,, thanking god for the Hot tub/spa & the fact i get to grow my own Meds Laughing Laughing Laughing
gonna try that shovel trick , I usually use a long pry bar to lift the tires Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

Here's your tire dolly old man Laughing
https://www.etsy.com/listing/537610066/new-vintage...O4QAvD_BwE

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

I spent the big money to buy this little gizmo...and use a scrap 1x4 about 30" long with my foot to lever the tire/wheel combo up to where it needs to be.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

Link

J Bar
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200...J4QAvD_BwE

Spare Me Auto Rescue Tool
http://realtorgadgets.com/spare-me-auto-rescue-too...and-shovel
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

I mostly just employ the jack to bring the car down to where you don't have to lift at all. All you have to do is spin the hub or tire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
I mostly just employ the jack to bring the car down to where you don't have to lift at all. All you have to do is spin the hub or tire.

Ding Ding Ding... We have a winnah!

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:

Usually any car I'm working on is supported by jack stands. Sometimes front and back. All the tires are off so I can do some kind of maintenance. I want to install the tires prior to removing the stands.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

Usually any car I'm working on is supported by jack stands. Sometimes front and back. All the tires are off so I can do some kind of maintenance. I want to install the tires prior to removing the stands.

https://www.eagleequip.com/product/PMR-6000-48.htm...gKDhPD_BwE

While you have your credit card out Gary, you need to order something like this! I want one too since my garage isn't a good fit for the other style lifts.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Dolly's for Old Dudes Reply with quote

I've looked at those Bill but it would take up a lot of floor space plus when in use there is no way to work under the car. Might be great for brake jobs though.

I'd love to have one of these but I'd need a whole new garage

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: