Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Collecting parts for a 2332
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Not so long ago I had a conversation with someone who had a motor built with an 86mm T1chev crank and he didn't even make it to the dyno before his flywheel fell off and the front pulley had destroyed itself (steel billet hub). I told him it was crank flex and bad harmonics he disagreed and bought the exact same replacement crank. Now it could be possible that the person who built the engine didn't tighten things up enough
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
It's pretty well documented the T1 main cranks flex and pound the centre main saddle...
T4 journal with a BMW conversion is seemingly the way to go with an 84+

I understand that and I don't mind. The mag case journals will get pounded no matter what.....Even by a stock 69mm crank. These motors were not built to last 150,000 miles without a rebuild. Mag is soft....it happens. One day I'll build one based on an aluminum case.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
UK Luke 72 wrote:
It's pretty well documented the T1 main cranks flex and pound the centre main saddle...
T4 journal with a BMW conversion is seemingly the way to go with an 84+

I understand that and I don't mind. The mag case journals will get pounded no matter what.....Even by a stock 69mm crank. These motors were not built to last 150,000 miles without a rebuild. Mag is soft....it happens. One day I'll build one based on an aluminum case.

Do you really think that an aluminium case will survive a flexing crankshaft ?
These newbies who pop up trying to break the sound barrier are never around very long and it's not just the flexi crank thing it's all the other bad advice they get from fellow newbies giving it the communal "bigun". I suppose it keeps the aftermarket parts shops in business
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Well how retarded is that?!
Preventative maintenance... There's a whole industry built around it. I'm in it Very Happy

Why you would not start stout is beyond me, the attitude of 'well if it breaks, it breaks' doth butter no parsnips.

T4 centre main
Modified Porsche rods on a 2.165" journal (a la Dan Ruddock)
Wedgemate
Shuffle pins (if staying Mag)

Make the bottom end stronger than Pammies bra straps
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

There are literally hundreds of 2332's driving on the streets with with standard vw mains and Chevy rod journals. And as far as the flywheel coming off, there's no amount of crank flex in the world that will cause that if it had been torqued the way it was supposed to be. Brothers VW recommended this specific crank through ease of assembly. I voiced concern over all this hoopla to them and they said as long as I'm not running turbo with a ton of boost or running nitous or dumping the clutch with slicks at 5,000 rpm it would be fine and last as long as anything.
So, as usual, if your advice is to simply spit out bullshit meant to discourage or make yourself look cool with snide comments ...don't bother. I may be a "newbie" and not part of the cool guy builder club but I don't care. I've had my successful 1st time striker build with the 2276. It's apart only to change out the cam gear and will also be getting the cb2292 put in to play nicer with the Super Pros. The damage I saw on the rod bearings was from me experimenting a bit too much with the timing trying to see when it would show signs of detonation....I found it, just happened to be about 10 miles from home when I did and no tools with me to dial it back. Babies it home saves the motor. Only damage was to rod bearings.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Here.....not written by me.

Chevy Journal 
Pros: several options for high quality/performance bearings; less bearing speed at high RPM; less clearancing required for a given stroke (given limited case and cam clearance, you can run a longer stroke with a Chevy journal) 
Cons: less rod/main journal overlap leaves the crank inherently weaker compared to the VW journal. How much weaker? The most powerful VW drag race engines on the track today use Chevy journals; they are also using larger main journal diameters (mitigates the smaller rod journal diameter) and among the highest quality components. 

For most folks, the decision is made over the convenience of case clearancing for larger strokes. Unless you are building an engine that will be pushed to the envelope, you probably won't see any adverse effects of either rod journal. That said, I prefer the VW journal at strokes of 82mm and smaller, and a 411 center main bearing to provide the most overlap for crank strength. You can certainly get by with less.

Now bugger off
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

I dont see heads on your list and what vents do you have in those Dells?
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
....and launching at 5,000 rpm.

turn up the wick!! That ain't going to cut it
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Esky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

You'll be fine. You're not building an engine on the ragged edge. I would at least get some IDA's on it to let it breath some. Have fun with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
I dont see heads on your list and what vents do you have in those Dells?

Tim's stage 2 42x37.5, 38 vents
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Esky wrote:
You'll be fine. You're not building an engine on the ragged edge. I would at least get some IDA's on it to let it breath some. Have fun with it.

I actually asked Santa to find me some 48 IDA 's...hahahaha

Thanks, that was the goal with this one. Keep it away from crazy and build it for good all around power and a flat torque "curve.

The 2276 is going to go back together with the cb2292 cam and super pros...
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Your 45 Dells with 38mm venturies will work great and you can run real full sized air cleaners with the deck lid closed.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Your 45 Dells with 38mm venturies will work great and you can run real full sized air cleaners with the deck lid closed.

I like the Dell's. Very smooth. I'll be running the Vintage Speed cleaners with k&n elements. Running the Vintage Speed center pull linkage. I like the looks of the cleaners.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Slug, you seem to take a bit of discussion quite personal (again)... I guess my issue is the whole 'sky is the limit' when really it ought to read 'just another 2332 but I'm gonna build it from up Steve Longs arse crack'

We all know it'll work just like we all know 1600s will run 10s 1/4s if you pipe a HX40 up it's chuff... But to build it with the attitude that you know it's likely going to pound the case and hammer the bearings more so than if you did a few mods that have been proven to help them last without really adding a great deal to the cost doesn't really stack up.
That being said, I know Richie Webb ran a T1 mains Scat crank in the 9s 1/4... Wedgemated though IIRC but it never died. Mag case too for a while I believe!
Although that engine was built by a pro and serviced regularly.

But hey I guess my time is too valuable to be pulling the engine every time the wind changed direction.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Slug, you seem to take a bit of discussion quite personal (again)... I guess my issue is the whole 'sky is the limit' when really it ought to read 'just another 2332 but I'm gonna build it from up Steve Longs arse crack'

We all know it'll work just like we all know 1600s will run 10s 1/4s if you pipe a HX40 up it's chuff... But to build it with the attitude that you know it's likely going to pound the case and hammer the bearings more so than if you did a few mods that have been proven to help them last without really adding a great deal to the cost doesn't really stack up.
That being said, I know Richie Webb ran a T1 mains Scat crank in the 9s 1/4... Wedgemated though IIRC but it never died. Mag case too for a while I believe!
Although that engine was built by a pro and serviced regularly.

But hey I guess my time is too valuable to be pulling the engine every time the wind changed direction.

This is a prime example of why I take some comments personal. Completely unnecessary.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

If you want a nice "Safe Space" then stick to "Farcebook" where you can block people.

Did you stay up late or get up early ? Must be 4 am in California
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
If you want a nice "Safe Space" then stick to "Farcebook" where you can block people.

Not in California...in Oregon. No "safe space" needed here. I'm not one of these liberal idiots running around here on the west coast. And up early...yes it was 4am....I have an early shift on Fridays.

Anyway, I understand people wanting a super strong crank....if building a drag motor. This is not a drag motor. The 2276 was a learning build, and I learned a lot from it. This 2332 is being built to be more of a milder mannered street car with good all around torque. After this one gets finished I'll be putting the 2276 back together with a few changes....going to make that one a bit closer to the edge as more of a drag, high rpm motor.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Paul.H wrote:

Not in California...in Oregon. No "safe space" needed here. I'm not one of these liberal idiots running around here on the west coast. And up early...yes it was 4am....I have an early shift on Fridays.

Anyway, I understand people wanting a super strong crank....if building a drag motor. This is not a drag motor. The 2276 was a learning build, and I learned a lot from it. This 2332 is being built to be more of a milder mannered street car with good all around torque. After this one gets finished I'll be putting the 2276 back together with a few changes....going to make that one a bit closer to the edge as more of a drag, high rpm motor.

I'm so glad to hear that Wink
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

I have a Berg 86, T4 center with Porsche journals. Anything over 82 will have T4 center for me. I like things as strong as possible. I have bad throttle control.
I have CB rockers that spec’d higher. 1.4’s are 1.51 and 1.3’s are almost 1.4. I’m with Dan. The heads change the ratio. I put my 1.4’s on og heads and they spec’d 1.4. Put on my Tim’s heads and 1.5. The rocker stud placement changes swipe.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I have a Berg 86, T4 center with Porsche journals. Anything over 82 will have T4 center for me. I like things as strong as possible. I have bad throttle control.
I have CB rockers that spec’d higher. 1.4’s are 1.51 and 1.3’s are almost 1.4. I’m with Dan. The heads change the ratio. I put my 1.4’s on og heads and they spec’d 1.4. Put on my Tim’s heads and 1.5. The rocker stud placement changes swipe.

I wish the Chinese would start making cranks with a T4 center main and stop making <82mm cranks with 2.0" rod journals. The Chinese make what people ask for so lets stop asking for stupid stuff.

My 84mm berg crank was all T4 mains with Porsche journals. After 40k miles the center main saddle looked like it never had been run, something I have never seen before or since. OH,OH I wish I never sold that crank. I know the guy I sold it to and he won't sell.

The berg cranks with the narrow Porsche rods had thicker cheeks which also strengthened the crank. The Porsche journals on my DPR help but not to same degree as the berg setup because the cheeks are only partially thicker.

I am just hoping that the light weight drilled out rod journals will keep the crank running true.

Dan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 22

Jump to: