Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Collecting parts for a 2332
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

You have "idf" rods made to work with the short GB 580 idf manifolds, you should go with "ida" rods which are shorter to work with taller manifolds.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Give berg a call, they are very helpful.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Got the carbs synced and motor running well. The magnaspark coil went out....misfired horribly when warm. Right now it has a 010 with Beru blue coop on it and is running well. CB is going to check out my cool and send me a new one.....hoping it works because the magnaspark system was just a tad smoother and more responsive. As it is I am very happy with this combo. The smaller valves and ports in the tins stage 2's and the exr 304 instead of the xr310 work nicely. Nice grunt from damn near just off idle. As soon as I figure out how to post a video on here I'll get one up. Oh yeah....the break in oil looked new when I dumped it. No sheen at all. Looks like the TP tool steel lifters are doing the job.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Took the 68 to get a professional alignment today. Motor runs very cool. 9.5:1 with the exr304. Cruises along easily at 70 with the 3.88 trans. Motor is hardly working at all. Got the oil temps up to about 170 once and that was after a 15 mile run at 70 and a little burst before I exited the highway. Head temps never hit 300. It was cool weather today though. Flaps and thermostat are doing their job well as it gets to temp quick and never really gets hot. Looking forward to dumping the break in oil after rings seat and seeing what the motor can do.
My contract out of town ends in a couple of weeks and I'll have more time to video and weekend cruises. All in all I'm very happy with this combo.

Had a cop pull over when I was at the store to take pictures of the car! Not too bad for a driver !
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

AA-500 heads run cool.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
AA-500 heads run cool.

These are 043's. The Tims boys did a great job in them. Zero casting flash
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

170 is too cold, that is not to temp.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

jason wrote:

10 mile drive and temps were in the 60's
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

jason wrote:

Got to thinking about this and got curious. Went out to the shop and looked through the sled tim from the rear of the car......thermostat is all the way open. The bolt that goes in the bottom has vibrated all the way out. Only reason it's still there is the sled tin kept it from dropping all the way out.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Updated. Reinstalled the small lot holding the thermostat in with some loctite. Ran the car down the road a few times. Head temps got up to 255 fairly quickly and then leveled off as I wasnt flogging it. Oil temps seemed about the same. Again, I haven't been in the gas pedal at all.....maybe half throttle at the most....and I've only put about 20 miles on it so I'm not entirely sure what oil temps and head temps will get to yet....but I do know that everything seems to be working very well
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Can't wait to see a video of your car with this engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Bad bug wrote:
Can't wait to see a video of your car with this engine.

I'll get one up soon as I can
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

jason wrote:

Really have never understood this. My 295 hp Grand Cherokee 3.6 V6 pil temp averages 160 on a 70 degree day. Doing 70 down I5 south right now....oil temp is 161........93,164 miles on the motor. Seems to be doing just fine. Same oil.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

The 68! Pic I took just after break in of motor...that German 009 isn't on it now and the correct shorter downrods for the linkage is now on there. Took a bit but I finally figured out the Berg linkage and it is really solid.

Here's to those that said the car would never get built! The 2332 runs like a champ and I'm really digging the torque and hp combination of the EXR304 over the XR310

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Updated. Reinstalled the small lot holding the thermostat in with some loctite. Ran the car down the road a few times. Head temps got up to 255 fairly quickly and then leveled off as I wasnt flogging it. Oil temps seemed about the same. Again, I haven't been in the gas pedal at all.....maybe half throttle at the most....and I've only put about 20 miles on it so I'm not entirely sure what oil temps and head temps will get to yet....but I do know that everything seems to be working very well

I see where you are running the thermostat for your engine i am assuming that you are also running all the engine tins what brand exhaust are you running, how was the fit and does it run well with all the cylinder head tins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Bad bug wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:

I see where you are running the thermostat for your engine i am assuming that you are also running all the engine tins what brand exhaust are you running, how was the fit and does it run well with all the cylinder head tins.

Yes, running all of the tins and flaps. Stainless steel sidewinder 1 5?8 from AA. The exhaust fit was perfect and I don't have to take off the muffler to get to the 1 and 2 side valve cover like some do. Motor is running very well and very cool. Head temps get up to 250 very quickly and level off. I haven't really flogged the motor yet. I still have Amsoil break in oil in it to seat the rings. I'll be home this week and will be taking it on a quick little run to seat the rings, dump the break in oil and put in Amsoil Z rod 10 30....then I'll open it up some and see what it does
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Good work finally getting it going.

Now quit babying it around and get after it to seat the rings. Sooner the better. After my cam break-in and initial timing/carb sync, I hit the closest long hill. Mine is 3 miles away. Full bore to the top, whip around and let it compression brake on the way down, flooring it once in a while. Then whip around at the bottom and head back up. My hill is about 2 miles long, pretty steep. I usually do this 3-4 times depending on traffic and outside temps. It needs to get good and hot. I have never had a problem seating the rings with this procedure, and I rarely have a any form of excess crankcase pressure.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

180 to get the condensation out. There are many things that could effect it. This part is speculative from me but the older cars dont have a vacuum pump. Do you know what happens to water in a vacuum?

You need to change your oil if you have 93000 miles on it. Very Happy
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

List of Jake Raby CHT and oil temp data/suggestions:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71167&highlight=cht

Head temps (measured with thermocouple under the spark plug)
325-250 normal temp
365-380 good for medium hills and head winds
380-400 good for a short while up hard hills, loaded.
425 seats begin to move
450 seats drop

oil temps (measured in the sump)
210 optimum
220 normal operating temp
230 hot but won't kill parts, but will break down oil, change the oil more often and 230 is fine
240+ figure out whats going on with the engine!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

should already of had the 3rd oil&filter in it....if it were mine. & I like 170 degrees.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: