Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Dude, I'm so, so happy to see this thing back on the road. I picked some parts off of it way back when, maybe 6 years ago. Got stung several times getting the wiper assembly! And I thought long and hard about the bus and wanted to bring it back but had just finished one and wanted a break. Here it is in it's native habitat, the back 40 at Gundrum's
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know the guy that pulled all of the busses out of there, and can only imagine what a huge task it mustve been. Every time I went there stuff was either frozen into the ground, or you just sunk up to your knee, and all overgrown.

Nice work so far, it was worth saving.
SD

THANK YOU!!! Its soo cool seeing it like it was!!! Im in contact with the family now. Hoping to get pics of when it was in service. This is most picked thru bus ever. Its missing EVERYTHING!!! Haha. Theres still bee's coming out of it AND there was a snake living in the fresh air vent lol. He came out and shed his skin the second night i had it in my shop. Also had about 30 mice in it. They were all jumping ship when i took the headliner out lol. Had em crawling around my feet and everything. Twas a good time! If you have any more info on the bus, i'd love to hear it!

BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Although im light years away from this shit. Heres some goodies that will be making its way to the bus. Full 944 disc brakes front and rear. Porsche 901 5 speed trans. Porsche phone dial wheels. Widefive lives 1/2 hour from me. I ran over there and got some beam plates and tubing earlier this week. This will be a slammed IRS and turbo'd bus when done. Ive just gotta make it thru all this metal repair first!! I did place a metal order today and I bought a donor nose. Working on the shipping details now.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Love seeing buses in their natural habitat.
And I know you're feeling of getting a bus with everything gone off of it. I've had friends and their friends snag parts off my Single Cab for at least ten years.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1589547

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

While waiting for metal to arrive, I worked on the back of the bus today, under the rear hatch. Those annoying corners that always rot out. Here's what it looked like.

After cutting out the top layer it came as no surprise there was more rust under it. So I got to cutting some more.

After that I began making the pieces by hand and reconstruting the upper part of the hatch pillar.

After that was all fitted and looking decent again, I fitted the outer skin. I used a cut off wheel to recreate the seam where the corner meets the decklid carrier. Then buy bending sheet steel in a vise, I made the little top hats that hold the seal in place and welded those back on the top. I used a torch to heat the metal so I could bend the radius. Turned out real nice for all being done by hand with simply shop tools.

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

I enjoy doing that kind of metal work.. nice work.. .. so you plan on painting just the repair areas and keep the rest original ?
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
I enjoy doing that kind of metal work.. nice work.. .. so you plan on painting just the repair areas and keep the rest original ?

Just painting the repaired areas. Im taking a break from it for the next week to finish up customers bus that ive had for awhile. I kinda hate welding, actually. My grandapa tought me when i was kid, then I was a fabricator for about 13 years until I went back to College. Sometimes I get in the zone, but its my least fav of bus repairs LOL. Keeping the "before" pics in the bus to show people what you've done is always a ego booster. I usually break them out after they say "you should restore that". Yeah.
BulliBabe8616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Hi I'm Jen! I'm new to the board.. this is my first post Smile really excited He's letting me restore these logos! Im really happy with how this side turned out Very Happy

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

that orange is growing on me.. I can not believe how well some of it buffed out.. Like it just left the paint shop.. great work..
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Nice Fab on that corner hatch area 👍
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

One more that I hadn't posted to Samba till now

looking through the pics from my trips there, I realize that this bus was the only one that was really savable. The others were sunk at least to the floor, one I remember the mud was up past the crank pulley.
Yeah, we stripped the typewriter bus of most everything that would unbolt, and almost took the rear hatch. Right now I am very glad that we decided it was cold and late, and left it there. The engine lid and some other parts did come and found a new home on the maushaus, which is ironic mostly because the maushaus was in worse shape than your 67 and not nearly as cool.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607359&highlight=
Oh well. Keep up the good work!
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Looking great, BulliBabe/Jen! Between you and BusJunky this is going to be a sweet bus! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

esde wrote:
One more that I hadn't posted to Samba till now

looking through the pics from my trips there, I realize that this bus was the only one that was really savable. The others were sunk at least to the floor, one I remember the mud was up past the crank pulley.
Yeah, we stripped the typewriter bus of most everything that would unbolt, and almost took the rear hatch. Right now I am very glad that we decided it was cold and late, and left it there. The engine lid and some other parts did come and found a new home on the maushaus, which is ironic mostly because the maushaus was in worse shape than your 67 and not nearly as cool.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607359&highlight=
Oh well. Keep up the good work!

This is just to cool! Also I may have met my match on insane bus repairs. You seem to be as nuts as I am LOL. That was a ton of work, pal. I did a early bay panel like that with airride. I was so freaking sick of welding that I lost interest and let it go right after all the hard work was done. Anyhow, Im glad most of the body panels were there. I was going to skin the drivers door to a good shell, but i think im just going to paint a new door and have Jen redo the logos. Save work where i can. Did the engine lid have logos on it? If so we'd like to replicate those.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

glad I am not the only one up.. lol.. very cool that you know where the parts went.. and was nice enough to leave the hatch.. lol impressed I will say the least.. can not wait till you are done
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Love seeing buses in their natural habitat.
And I know you're feeling of getting a bus with everything gone off of it. I've had friends and their friends snag parts off my Single Cab for at least ten years.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1589547

That bus looks like its in better shape then mine!! I need a donor for donor lol.
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Jen hard at werk.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Wow.... she seems like a keeper on so many levels. Very Happy

Amazing work, can't wait to see more progress.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Uh, it would be understandable if your project is delayed for one reason or another... but try to stay on course ; )
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Shes the best woman a man could ever ask for. In every way possible. Shes also the one who talked me out of trading it for a beetle when I didnt want to tackle the project. Most women would of been pissed off at you for even buying such a bus. Shes a unicorn, actually.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
Shes the best woman a man could ever ask for. In every way possible. Shes also the one who talked me out of trading it for a beetle when I didnt want to tackle the project. Most women would of been pissed off at you for even buying such a bus. Shes a unicorn, actually.

very rare .. very....you are lucky..
BulliBabe8616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

bahahaahaha!! You guys are too kind .... lol --- I consider myself lucky to have found someone that's into cool things like vw's as much as I am... but has the talent to bring them back to life... AND let's ME help restore these amazing pieces of history!!!! And anyway.... who doesn't LOVE getting to drive them around afterwards!!😏😎Total SCORE all around!!!! 😁Lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: