Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I love the white roof.

BusJunky wrote:
White roof.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Man, this bus is such a hack.

So my wheel tubs were totally trashed. So i was trying to come up with ideas on building new raised tubs from scratch. Heres what i came up with...

Im working on a 1962 Ford Econline truck at my shop and I was leaning on the bed one day looking down at it. The bed material for trucks is a heavy gauge pressed steel and the idea struck me to build the tubs out of it. So I started poking around online and ended up ordering Goodmark metal repair pieces for 73-87 chevy trucks. Its pretty thick and rigid, so it wasn’t eazy to work with. Ive never built tubs before and it turned out so so. Then I had to cut out some of the dogleg and clearance for the wheel when im turning. I didnt need a whole lot, but for a moment today, I really took a look at how much of this bus ive reconstructed and all the crazy shit ive made from scratch and im freaking exhausted. This thing has beat me down. Im thinking of putting it aside till winter. Who knows? But for the record id never cut and hack a decent bus up like I have this one. For what ever reason tho, I still feel guilty. Maybe just tired.

BulliBabe8616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Dave hard at werk!

BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Thanks to my massive tubs, I now need to cut a hole in my roof for my head to have clearance. Seriously tho, my heads like a 1/4” from the roof. Im trying to keep a german theme going and the most Porsche stuff I can fit to the bus as possible. 914 seats are super low profile. So I picked up a pair and tossed one in for a quick mock up. Perfect! Im going to make some slight modifications like cutting off the back head rest to make them low backs. Then Jen is gonna reupholster them. With the bottom seat pad removed, my head had a comfortable amount of clearance, maybe 2.5” so im going to go with a thinner high density foam when we get to that part of the build. I think they’ll look pretty awesome up front.

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Shit don’t feel bad, you getting that bus was it’s only hope for survival. The tubs don’t look bad for what you had to do.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

I was gonna say..how you gonna fit in there..haha

Looking good man!
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
regendub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Loved reading through this build today Busjunky! Very interested in seeing the end result of both the bus, and your wheel tubs. I will eventually need to tub my bus, so getting ideas of how to go about it now, is helpful. Great work!!
Black hound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Good Lord sir you are gona run this thing as low as it is with those low profile tyres and now you are going to lessen the seat padding! You must have a reinforced spine! That's got to be a sore drive!
Nice bus tho Popcorn
henk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Not considering to cut off the headrests from the seats?
I think they look great whitout them.

Henk!!!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Don't feel bad, I wouldn't consider this a hackjob at all! This thing was 6 months away from disintegrating into dust, but now it gets to live again!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Well it’s been awhile since I updated. I was trying to accomplish to much to fast and you can tell by my last post, I was starting to get into the dumps over my project. I even listed it for sale briefly, but soon realized I was being a moron.

Weekend before last I was asked to be the bus judge at Bugjam27 in Toledo. It really lifted my spirits and when I got home I began feeling “in the mood” to work on the ole’ typewriter again. My old dusty girl. I got a ton of stuff welded out and finished building in inner part of the passenger tub. Then tonight I worked on the driver side. Got it tacked in much quicker then the other side. Ya know I was saying how hacked it was a few months ago, mostly just a bad attitude. Tonight after I got the driver side partialy done, I thought to myself, looks pretty good! Definitely not stock lol. Really I don’t feel bad anymore. This thing really is lucky I found it. Heres how things are looking as of tonight. Once these are done I’m gonna tub the back, then fix the rear corners. Then build the rear suspension.

BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Shit don’t feel bad, you getting that bus was it’s only hope for survival. The tubs don’t look bad for what you had to do.

Thanks, pal. I was reading on a muscle car forum last night about patina. The editor wrote a artical about a guy on Chevytalk who used CLR to remove surface rust off his elcamino and the guys screen name was SKIM. It has to be you, right? Lol.
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:
I was gonna say..how you gonna fit in there..haha

Looking good man!

Ive got it figured out now. Plenty of room buddy!! Thanks bro.
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

regendub wrote:
Loved reading through this build today Busjunky! Very interested in seeing the end result of both the bus, and your wheel tubs. I will eventually need to tub my bus, so getting ideas of how to go about it now, is helpful. Great work!!

Good luck, pal!
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Black hound wrote:
Good Lord sir you are gona run this thing as low as it is with those low profile tyres and now you are going to lessen the seat padding! You must have a reinforced spine! That's got to be a sore drive!
Nice bus tho Popcorn

To be honest, I already need lower back surgery lol.
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Glad to see you're back at it!

100% undoubtedly coolest 13 window out there.
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
Glad to see you're back at it!

100% undoubtedly coolest 13 window out there.

Thanks, buddy!! Congratulations on your permit! That’s good stuff! I taught my daughter to drive in a split bus.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
Skim wrote:

Thanks, pal. I was reading on a muscle car forum last night about patina. The editor wrote a artical about a guy on Chevytalk who used CLR to remove surface rust off his elcamino and the guys screen name was SKIM. It has to be you, right? Lol.

Yes my old OG paint blue 59 El Camino. Cool
Glad to see you back in your mojo again!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

we've all been patiently waiting your return! tubs look rad, that bus would have been crushed had it not been for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Glad you are back at it, bus is looking awesome, cant wait to borrow it. lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 22

Jump to: