Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

Hi,
I have an October 1960 built 61 model beetle. Chassis code 3418012

It is pastel blue and being an Australian car, it has the factory fitted "50/50" tail lights.
The car is quite original except for a few modifications, but it is a matching number car.

I have a question regarding my seat trims.

I believe it is the "Ice Blue" seat trim, however I'm not 100% sure.
I am looking for a new top and bottom front seat trim for my drivers seat as it is the only trim that is damaged.

Any help Identifying exactly what it is and where to get one in good condition would be much appreciated!!

Kind regards,
Ryan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Redlines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

Sorry, really can't help you out with your trim, but is that a Vintage Speed sport muffler you have there? If so, do you like it? Is it quiet? Does it add any performance? Again, sorry!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

i too have a 61 turquise colored, my seats are vinyl, but are one color, ice blue, rather than two tone, on my seats the piping or trim is also ice blue, same color as the seat vinyl. my car also have color corodinated steering wheel, column, shift lever, ebrake lever, green grab handle. my car appears to have simular door panles as yours. mine is an American export version.

maybe take the seat to an upolstery shop and inquire about matching it, or connact some of the vw interior vendor that specialize in authintic reproductions for info on the trim (piping)

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
RyanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

Redlines wrote:
Sorry, really can't help you out with your trim, but is that a Vintage Speed sport muffler you have there? If so, do you like it? Is it quiet? Does it add any performance? Again, sorry!

It is a vintage speed sport muffler.

I like it, but I cant compare it before and after because I put this on the same time that I built the engine.

It is a 1200 stale air case (Matching numbers to the car)
64mm crank and 1200 rods (Stock)
1600 Pistons, barrels and twin port heads
Engle W100 cam
Twin 36 IDF webers tuned to the car
Magna Spark II electronic distributor
Running a dog house cooler and has been full flowed.

As for performance, its no power house, but it seems to like the flow that both the intake and exhaust give.

As for noise, the induction of the webers is quite loud, but from what I can tell, its quiet down low, but when its revving it gives a nice noise haha

I would recommend them, but if you have a lowered car like myself, they do sit pretty low compared to stock

I have quite a few dings and scratches already.

RyanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
i too have a 61 turquise colored, my seats are vinyl, but are one color, ice blue, rather than two tone, on my seats the piping or trim is also ice blue, same color as the seat vinyl. my car also have color corodinated steering wheel, column, shift lever, ebrake lever, green grab handle. my car appears to have simular door panles as yours. mine is an American export version.

maybe take the seat to an upolstery shop and inquire about matching it, or connact some of the vw interior vendor that specialize in authintic reproductions for info on the trim (piping)

good luck

Thanks, I have talked to a few people now and it is proving quite difficult.

This is an Australian car, not a German Import I do believe.

So, as much as I dont want to think about it, I am beginning to think that it may be a 6 month only, Australian specific trim, which is not going to help my cause.......
harasn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

I have the same interior as yours. My car is a 1960 Australian Built car. i will need the full seat trims when I restore mine. I looked into it and I found the TMI in the US would make them as needed for a reasonable price.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

Language barrier, what is meant by seat trim???? is it the piping around the seat edges, or what? the discussion leads to me thinking trim means more than the piping????????

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Language barrier, what is meant by seat trim???? is it the piping around the seat edges, or what? the discussion leads to me thinking trim means more than the piping????????

Yep..."trim" refers to the covers. And a "seat trimmer" is an upholstery shop, I think.
RyanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

harasn wrote:
I have the same interior as yours. My car is a 1960 Australian Built car. i will need the full seat trims when I restore mine. I looked into it and I found the TMI in the US would make them as needed for a reasonable price.

I did look at their site, but I didnt see any colours that matched what I have.

Not to mention, I'm not 100% sure on what it is exactly
harasn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

I did not find the color on the TMI web site, but I did on another companies site that sells the TMI product and cheaper than them as well. They were able to make the seats to your requirements and match the colour if you send them a sample! There was a thread on this forum about it! Cant think of who the company was now!!! Bugger! I hope to start the resto on my Beetle shortly so I better find it!!!!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

RyanM wrote:

Interested in your piston/head setup. What did you use to get the 85.5 pistons to work? Stock VW DP 1600 heads?

Ive heard of shaving 1600 rods to fit the 64mm crank but not of any solutions using stock 40hp rods.

thanks
RyanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
RyanM wrote:

Interested in your piston/head setup. What did you use to get the 85.5 pistons to work? Stock VW DP 1600 heads?

Ive heard of shaving 1600 rods to fit the 64mm crank but not of any solutions using stock 40hp rods.

thanks

Quite a lot of work went into getting this combo to work.
Being that it is a 1200 stale air, the 64mm crank in it has wider journals for the rods, as well as wider rods than later engines.
The standard 1200 stale air rods had enough of a bush in the little end to bore it out to suite the 1600 gudgeon pins.

After that was sorted, machining the case to suite the larger pistons was neccesary, as well as measuring for the deck hieght, which I believe was 50 thou.
Just using 1600 DP heads, which from memory are the AA ones with the longer reach spark plug holes.

I also had to machine the lifter bores slightly to fit an engle w100 cam inside.

RyanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

RyanM wrote:
as well as measuring for the deck hieght, which I believe was 50 thou.

I should add, I had to cut down the outside quite a bit to get the deck height correct, as the stale air engines are about 20mm more narrow than later engines too...
Something else to keep in mind.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

Beautiful!

You are right, its milling the 40hp rods to fit a 69mm crank and still use the 40hp pistons/cylinders. The custom shims to get the dh correct are expensive too.

why small cam with the big bore with short stroke combo, figure it would want to rev more especially with the dual port heads
RyanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Beautiful!

You are right, its milling the 40hp rods to fit a 69mm crank and still use the 40hp pistons/cylinders. The custom shims to get the dh correct are expensive too.

why small cam with the big bore with short stroke combo, figure it would want to rev more especially with the dual port heads

Thanks!

There are no shims on my engine, the barrels were machined to suit the engine and the deck height was made with the barrel length.

There are no cam bearings in these cases, plus its only a 180mm clutch still, not to mention I had to machine the lifter bores already with this cam, so if I went bigger again, I dont think it would fit very well.

It was never designed to be a power house, just an awesome cruiser. And It drive amazingly well, so I think its perfect for the car.
Its quite torquey down low which I have heard is what the cam is good for.

A lot of this engine build was determined by the engine case and what would work with it.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

it peaked my interest as the next build is a 40hp and the cam bore needs to be machined for bearings and possible lifter bore bush. Since it has to go in for surgery I am open to mild mods.

Sorry for the hijack!
RyanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
it peaked my interest as the next build is a 40hp and the cam bore needs to be machined for bearings and possible lifter bore bush. Since it has to go in for surgery I am open to mild mods.

Sorry for the hijack!

I got away with mine as the cam bore was still intact!
If i was to do something like this again, I’d probably just start bigger, but being that this is the matching bumber case to the car, i wanted to keep it and make it nice, plus its unique haha.

Lots of little things need doing too, like if you are full flowing it you need to drill and tap the gallery, plus, if you are running a bigger oil pump, the mounting studs need to be made into m8 threads rather than m6. Same goes for the oil cooler mounting thread and holes in the case.
Probably not a bad idea to run some head stud case savers too as the head studs are only 8mm
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

Yes mate, they are blue/green colour.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1961 Beetle Seat Trims Reply with quote

The seat covers look like what the US cars had in 1958 and 1959.
You should be able to find them reasonably easy.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/interior/headliner_seats/seat_covers.cfm?type=1
or
http://www.classicvws.com/interiors/58-59_interior.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: