Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fastening Westy bed to hinges... what hardware?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Fastening Westy bed to hinges... what hardware? Reply with quote

Hello-
When I bought my '73 it was literally all in pieces. I removed and cleaned the original mustard cloth (it came out dazzlingly nice). Now it's time to put the bed together, and it has been so long since I recovered the seats I can't remember what kind of fastening method is hidden in there. I know there is something metal, but I can't tell if it's threaded or what.

To possibly make things more confusing for me, there was one lag screw type of a thing stuck in one of the holes on the hinge. Is this the correct hardware?? Doesn't seem right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Help me out if you can, I'm excited to get this bed into my bus!!
Not enough hair on my head
Not enough beer in my fridge
Goge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastening Westy bed to hinges... what hardware? Reply with quote

I might add, I tried an M6 and it didn't seem to want to thread in. At least not easily. I was afraid to wrench too hard. M5 too small I think, but I don't have one at hand that's long enough to really tell what's happening.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fastening Westy bed to hinges... what hardware? Reply with quote

There is what's called T nut in there. IF its still fixed in position. Problem is they rust and often come loose when trying to remove or reinstall a bolt/screw. Then you are hosed. You have to remove the upholstery far enough to get to the back of the plywood the put in a newT nut . That sounds like the right fastener, maybe it got swapped for a standard one. Try a 1/4 x 20? Dont push too hard lest you pop the T nut free toe inside, then you are back to being hosed.
Goge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fastening Westy bed to hinges... what hardware? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!
So it sounds like the sheet-metal/lag-screw shown in my pic is not the correct one then.
The T-nuts seem to be solid in there. I'll keep trying with machine screws of differing sizes.

-TH
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fastening Westy bed to hinges... what hardware? Reply with quote

I don't remember the exact size, but it'll be a metric size if it is the T-nut installed by Westfalia.

But if there is some rust in the threads the proper bolt/screw may be somewhat difficult to thread. If someone forced a different screw in there altogether, then the threads may be all messed up.

You could probably run a thread tap in to clean up threads. Or check out your local hardware store for some fresh t-nuts.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastening Westy bed to hinges... what hardware? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!!
Taps- why didn't I think of that? I pulled out my set, and it was M6.

I used M6x40, seemed to be about right if a little long. And for the first time in at least the 3 yrs I've had the bus, it now has a back seat!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastening Westy bed to hinges... what hardware? Reply with quote

That dark paneling isn't original is it?

Looks nice! I like the contrast with the white trim.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fastening Westy bed to hinges... what hardware? Reply with quote

Nope, sadly not original. Original was thrashed so I affixed new laminate. It's looking really nice I think, but it's nowhere close to looking like the original.

I still have the headbanger and sink cabinet to fix up, but I'm just trying to get it camp-worthy right now. Too bad it's gotten so late in the season, but maybe we can still squeeze in a maiden camping voyage this month...
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fastening Westy bed to hinges... what hardware? Reply with quote

Goge wrote:
Too bad it's gotten so late in the season, but maybe we can still squeeze in a maiden camping voyage this month...

Late?!? This is the perfect time for camping. Campsites are available, days aren't stifling, and nights are great for a camp fire.

Get that thing packed up and hit the road! Dancing

[btw... Love the new laminate work you did. It's given me ideas for my winter project.]

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: