Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What motor do I have
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mochito441
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: What motor do I have Reply with quote

Just pickup 2 VW motors 1 is complete the other one all parts are there but disassembled. Can anyone tell me what size, year and what type of VW they came out off. One has a serial number of AH445943 right below the firing order. The other motor has a serial number of U0226574 between the alternator/generator and the gas pump. I also got an trans axle case which was taken apart looks like all parts for trans axle are there. Anyways I guess I can use the trans axle case to test the motors before installing into the bug. I paid $105 for both motors and trans axle case.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: What motor do I have Reply with quote

AH engine appears to be from 1974 type 1, 1600cc 48hp
U engine appears to be from 1969 type 3, fuel injected 1600cc 54hp

Others will be very quick to let me know if I am wrong.
mochito441
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: What motor do I have Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think the U0 block is fuel injected cause it has a fuel pump port. Could it be possible that they made U0 a carburator and a fuel injector model?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: What motor do I have Reply with quote

mochito441 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think the U0 block is fuel injected cause it has a fuel pump port. Could it be possible that they made U0 a carburator and a fuel injector model?

According to the tech section here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/serialnumberst3.php

Column it's under lists it as 69 FI type 3 unless I am reading the chart wrong.

Last edited by sb001 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: What motor do I have Reply with quote

My OU case uses a mechanical fuel port. The later model fuel injected cases did not have a mechanical fuel pump. You may want to disassemble both of them and see if they are even rebuildable.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What motor do I have Reply with quote

mochito441 wrote:

All the type 3 cases had a provision for the mechanical fuel pump. The factory installed the auxillary air regulator in that place which was bathed in oil for its operation. Even the later type 3's had the AAR there but was controlled by a 12v wire.
The only case which did not have a fuel pump provision was the type 1 ('75-'79) fuel injected cars.
Ratbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What motor do I have Reply with quote

Hey, guys. Maybe you can help me out with the motor ID also. Previous owner of my bug told me something happened to it, block was replaced. Very shiny! The numbers that are on the list posted by sb001has very different numbers than my block. this is photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What motor do I have Reply with quote

Ever ponder starting your own post? Shocked

You have an early case depicted there which appears to be a 40HP.
It's "very shiny" 'cuz somebody has spray painted it silver, & with at least 3 paint blisters clearly showing in the 1 small-area pic (ref:directly below #2, #8 & "WH"), I'll offer that it was very poorly prepped for the coat.
Suggest going back to the link provided by sb001 & click on the "Type 1" & then "Type 2" tabs at page top to determine pedigree of your s/n 6289791 case.

Ratbug68 wrote:
Hey, guys. Maybe you can help me out with the motor ID also. Previous owner of my bug told me something happened to it, block was replaced. Very shiny! The numbers that are on the list posted by sb001has very different numbers than my block. this is photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: