Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Well I do not seem to be making any progress on the bus besides cutting the cargo floor out. All I seem to be doing is spending money on parts, rear bumper, all the seats, glass, crows feet rims, engine ect ect. I'm up to 5k total and my wife is letting me know this Evil or Very Mad . She sees no progress just money going out the door. She was under the impression that when I bought this that it was just going to need a motor and we were going to be on the road. I'm starting to think that I should have saved my money and just bought a bus that was running and driving. I just look at it and do not even know where to begin or how to begin. I even bought a welder, but I do not know how to weld Embarassed . It just seems that everywhere I look it needs something. I have absolutely no direction or guidance. I am just very discouraged I guess. It's not like I want it to look new. I just want it to the point that its safe to drive. I'm starting to think that if I do not show some progress my wife is going to want her garage spot back and the bus is going to be gone.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Standard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

maybe easier to get rid of the wife Laughing Laughing Laughing just kidding. nothing cheap or quick about a good restoration. Get the floor done. Do the mechanicals and drive it Good luck!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

It is easy to get overwhelmed. You are sliding down that slippery slope. The trick is to focus on fewer things. Don't buy everything for the bus. Decided what you are going to tackle, and address *that* issue. If you are starting with welding, ignore motor and brakes and all that. Learn to weld!
If you are building a motor, don't buy sheet metal.

Accept that you bought a bus to be a project and your hobby is fixing it up. You did not buy a bus to drive around.

I am big on getting a ratty bus and just driving it, and blithely ignore the shallow guys who can't see part rusty rockers, dented nose, and hacked wheel arches. But buses are rusty and .....
you can look at the long build thread on my 56. It's not done yet. (but has been camped in and driven a lot as a work in progress)
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

my wife sometimes tell me that i could have bough a running vanagon for the price of my project.

in my mind, like clara said, dont buy everything at the same time, for a first.

Also, keep in mind as long as its not open in the element, it can sits a few months without being touched So when you want to work on it, do it. If you dont, dont. Its easier, in my mind, to stay motivated and avoid rushing stuff just to finish it.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

So many guys jump in to project buses like this and they never see the light of day. I'm with Clara... get it running/driving/stopping first and forget about everything else. You will be so stoked being able to drive it you will forget about the rusty parts.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Once you get one big piece of metal work done on your bus you will get the momentum going!

I have to drive an hour one way to work on my bus as I am sort of in between homes right now, I get maybe 3-4 days a month to work on it. Just stay focused on one area of your bus until you complete it then move on to the next area. When its structurally sound then get the engine and other chassis mechanicals worked out and drive it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Yes, only get what you need now too keep moving on the restro. Avoid those shinny bits. Smile

A lot of what you need for parts in the beginning is relatively cheep per month. Especially while learning to weld and such.

This is a long term project. likely a year or more unless you can put a lot of hours into it. If you don't want to put the hours in then this may not be the bus for you.

I would suggest getting the floor cleaned out and replacing the right side rocker. Not a lot of cost there in parts. Take your time and learn to weld. If you don't like the work then sell/trade it. You may enjoy it once you accept this isn't getting done any time soon. Smile
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Stay focused on 1 thing....
Make a priority to do list.
Starting with the mechanics and drivibality.
You need a good foundation.
Beat it, don't let it beat you, know one said these things are cheap.
Stay positive.
Cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
... Don't buy everything for the bus. ...

This is a very important statement.

I have done many bare meal restorations and sadly a lot of them have been sourced from failed or frustrated projects. So many folks seem get excited about their new adventure and start buying everything they think they need right off that bat. (Shopping is fun, right?) The problem is that very soon you either run out of $ or a significant other's patience and getting rid of the project for a loss becomes cheaper than a potential divorce.

You need to take the time to map out a plan. Break the project into sections like exterior, suspension, motor/trans, electrical, interior, etc. Then list out tasks for each section and associate costs for each task. Realize you will never get them all listed out 100% accurate and that this is a ball park. Try to be accurate and realistic but understand you will find stuff you didn't know you needed as you go along. This will help you develop your parts list for purchase as well.

Once you have your list of parts & tasks, map out a plan of action. Again, ball park...For example, first do the body work, then the running gear, then interior, etc. After you list this all out, you can then estimate the timing of each section. Remember, if it's new work or a new skill for to you, it will take twice as long as you expect.

Based on how much time you can realistically spend each week working on the project, this will give you your ball park timeline. i.e. 2 weeks @ 2 hours per night = 8-10 hours per week to do the cargo floor removal. Once you have your timeline & parts list, you can match them together to come up with a spending timeline as well. This allows you to budget your project and to only order the parts you need over the following couple of weeks. If your engine work is last and will be a year from now, why order the parts now to let them sit around and gather dust?

Once you have your budget & timeline all mapped out, remember that you will likely have missed things so expect to go over on both by 20-30%. The good thing is that with an honest estimation of the budget ahead of time, this overage is mush easier to handle.

And finally, always remember why you got the project. If it really is just to have something to drive, skip all of this and buy one already done. It will save you money, time, and considerable heartache.

If it's to learn and enjoy the process of restoring something along with all the skills required to do the work (like learning to weld!), then enjoy the journey. It takes discipline, patience and understanding loved ones but really is one of the best experiences you can have and one that will result in something fun to really enjoy.

Follow my latest project: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668542&highlight=

My previous project: http://www.mgexp.com/journal/chgrec/
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Im with the other guys on this one. A running driving project still puts a smile on my face. Gives me motivation to work on it it. Most new bus owners are very concerned with appearence, but I promise you, once you are driving it down the road and everyone is smiling and throwing peace signs as you pass them, you'll forget about how rusty it is and you'll fall in love with it again. Put plyboards down on the crago and just tack in some sheet steel on the front floor to get you by. Put new brakes on. Put a good running motor in and go for a cruise. The price of a running/driving bus is alot more then a non runner. So if you decide its not the bus for you, you'll most likely make money on it. You could apply that to a better bus.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

If you can make the bus run and drive, even if just around the block, I bet you would find new inspiration to slog through the metal work. I would focus on mechanicals first.
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advise and encouragement. I find myself going out to work on it and then just sitting there staring at it and shaking my head. I live in upstate NY so it's now going to start getting nasty out. I will have at least till may or June of next year to try and get it going.

1961 Standard
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

It can be overwhelming but as was suggested focus on one area at a time and then move on.
It took me over a year to get a bus back on the road but you can do it!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611253&highlight=

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
A running driving project still puts a smile on my face. Gives me motivation to work on it it. Most new bus owners are very concerned with appearence, but I promise you, once you are driving it down the road and everyone is smiling and throwing peace signs as you pass them, you'll forget about how rusty it is and you'll fall in love with it again. Put new brakes on. Put a good running motor in and go for a cruise.

This is the best advice you will get. My baywindow gets smiles, waves, and shouts almost every day. Just get it running and then enjoy driving it. Worry about all that other stuff later. That's what I did with my '71 and that's what i plan for my '63. Get it on the road and enjoy it.
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Take your time.. work on the mechanics , wiring, cleaning up the original stuff you have to get it road worthy! STOP spending money!! There is a lot to do before you get to that point. If you slow down it will be less overwhelming.. Parts will come around. go to swap meets rather than buying everything off the samba.. It's a lot more fun and you can get better deals.
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

What helps me is this, remember why you fell in love with it, as it is a relationship/friendship. You will receive out of it what you put into it. If you don’t show it love and affection but buy it fancy jewelry (parts) is it really loving you in return?

I do my best to touch my single cab daily. Even if it’s tightening a single bolt. Little by little, you’ll begin to see improvement.

Don’t get discouraged, things take time. Just a relationship has to develop, and we learn about the other along the way, it’s all relative.
Start practicing your welding.
Consider it courtship, and in the mean time try to find a little that allows the lady to contribute.

Whatever you do, as stated by seasoned Samba members, don’t let the wife hear you talking to your bus.

Stay positive, you can do it. The reward is paramount.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Broke and no spare time is the usual for me. Here is how I tackle each project I get. Most projects are complete stock non runners which I keep stock and use as many original parts as possible. For basket cases I usually go more custom since I have to source so much stuff anyway.

CLEAN IT OUT FIRST!!!!! No one wants to get full of rat crap, rust bits or greasy engine/trans goo.

Pressure wash as much as possible, then blow out with air nozzle.

-Brakes.

Replace all soft and hard lines, wheel cylinders (rebuild if possible), reuse hardware if possible, and turn drums if needed. New shoes, compare to old and modify as needed. Since the drums are off anyway replace the front inner and outer bearings. Repeat for rear and replace axle seals while in there.

-Electrical

Repair and replace as needed. Rebuild headlight/tail light buckets, turn signals, dome lights, relays and switches etc. You will be surprised how much a working turnsignal with brighten your day!

-Engine

I usually have a spare stocker I throw into any non runner in the driveway but putting together a cheap runner will do wonders. Learn to build your own engine with usable cores, its a good winter project and can be fairly inexpensive depending on the area.

New tires, lube up the front end, service the link pins, new trans and rgb oil, and go for a cruise and take it camping.

Try working on it 1 hour a day. It could be cleaning or something small, you will be surprised how it progresses with such a small amount of time spent.
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

chgrec wrote:

And finally, always remember why you got the project. If it really is just to have something to drive, skip all of this and buy one already done. It will save you money, time, and considerable heartache.

If it's to learn and enjoy the process of restoring something along with all the skills required to do the work (like learning to weld!), then enjoy the journey.

Great advice. I had never done anything other than change oil until I bought a bus that was in good condition. Then I had to learn how to to adjust a carburetor, valves and timing; bleed brakes; lubricate the front beam...all simple now, but for me, then, it was new. After I bought the bus, and was comfortable with basic mechanics, I bought a crappy little bug, that needed everything, just for the experience of doing it. I knew that I would spend $20K on an $8K bug but wanted to learn how to weld, rebuild an engine, rebuild a transmission, rebuild a convertible top and run a new wiring harness. I loved every minute of it.

There's a lot of help here on thesamba as well as on utube. Take your time and enjoy it.

I also agree with the advice of getting it to stop, then make it run, then make it pretty (in that order). It's a lot more fun working on a project that you can take to shows or just drive to the gas station while you're making it perfect.

Last edited by Hokie87 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

brokevwguy wrote:
...She was under the impression that when I bought this that it was just going to need a motor and we were going to be on the road...

Why did you tell her that.

brokevwguy wrote:
... I'm up to 5k total and my wife is letting me know this Evil or Very Mad . She sees no progress just money going out the door... I'm starting to think that if I do not show some progress my wife is going to want her garage spot back and the bus is going to be gone.

If a tree falls in the forest it's still your fault.

brokevwguy wrote:
I am just very discouraged I guess.

Keep coming here and people will help you even if it's for company.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Good advice all day from those that have done what you are trying to do.
Stay with with the project, you can do it!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: