Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

brokevwguy wrote:
Well I got some more removed and found rust damage to the frame. What guage metal do I use to repair it. Also I'm trying to remove the back part of the floor but the drill bit went right through it. It doesn't feel like there is anything behind it. Is that part spot welded also?

14 gage... I think. Now I'm not sure.

Floor comes apart just above the hole you drilled. Spot welds are on the backside of that seam. You can get some of them from the underside. Terrible spot to get apart.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

I hope your wife/family see the compassion you have for this project, because having support from them is important. Spending money always is something to monitor though, So adding to the other posts, clean it up, give it some love and slowly pick at, but don't pressure yourself into a deadline... As much as you want to spend time on your dub, don't forget to let the wife/family know how they're appreciated as well. Being new to the samba site, I've read a lot of posts and enjoy the story's. I'm enjoying the chats and sharing with other viewers about their projects as well as their story's. God speed on the project brother!

Stay air cooled! VW Logo
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

2X

otis64 wrote:
I hope your wife/family see the compassion you have for this project, because having support from them is important. Spending money always is something to monitor though, So adding to the other posts, clean it up, give it some love and slowly pick at, but don't pressure yourself into a deadline... As much as you want to spend time on your dub, don't forget to let the wife/family know how they're appreciated as well. Being new to the samba site, I've read a lot of posts and enjoy the story's. I'm enjoying the chats and sharing with other viewers about their projects as well as their story's. God speed on the project brother!

Stay air cooled! VW Logo

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Any updates on this one?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Could possible see it at corner with a for sale sign "divorce forces sale, my loss your gain"
Just joking..I have noticed a lot of post just fade away.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

It's still sitting the garage. It's going to sit there til I have money to pay to get some work done on it.

1961 Standard
otis64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

I can relate with that brother! Good to know that you still have it. Keep the faith.

Stay air cooled VW Logo
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

don't let time get you down. I bought my 1st bus when i was 19 and was piss broke and had yet to get through college. Took me awhile to make some money to finally get it up and going once i got a real job. 13 years to be exact. As my Wife says "slow and steady wins the race"
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pics of how you welded the outriggers to the Jack points. Also once they are welded together how did you weld them to the frame. Thank you.

1961 Standard
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

brokevwguy wrote:
Does anyone have any pics of how you welded the outriggers to the Jack points. Also once they are welded together how did you weld them to the frame. Thank you.

I’m not sure what page it is on, but in my build thread I did this and posted lots of photos. The procedure is pretty much straight forward. Looking forward to seeing an update on your progress. You got this.
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

How far down does the bottom of the bulkhead go? As you can see that section is rotted away.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Standard
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

brokevwguy wrote:
How far down does the bottom of the bulkhead go? As you can see that section is rotted away.

It goes pretty much straight down from where it’s rysted away and completely overlaps the top hat. There’s a lot of photos of that area in the gallery.
I recommend perusing some build threads. Lots of great photos and info. Good luck. You have an awesome bus.
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

I looked in the gallery and did not see any good pics of that section. Does it go down to the top of the frame rails and run straight across from side to side behind the tophat or does it somehow go to the bottom of the frame? I see klassicfab has a 6 inch lower replacement piece but I do not think it goes that far down. Confused

1961 Standard
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

brokevwguy wrote:
I looked in the gallery and did not see any good pics of that section. Does it go down to the top of the frame rails and run straight across from side to side behind the tophat or does it somehow go to the bottom of the frame? I see klassicfab has a 6 inch lower replacement piece but I do not think it goes that far down. Confused

It runs right overlapping the top hat which sits on top of the frame rails. Width wise, it overlaps both B Pillars.
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Been working on mine for over fifteen years. Almost died three times. Still here. Putting the engine together in the next few weeks. Bodywork is finished. Interior is mostly done. I am either going to finish it or die trying.
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

DencherD just sent me the link to youtube " $10,000 kombi van challenge - rear cabin" that was great. There are more videos in this series that I will be watching. Thanks everyone for all the advise.

1961 Standard
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

I suggest going through the build threads. You will find everything in there somewhere. I have been through them all twice or more.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627245&start=0
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

hey, if you still are looking for bulkhead repair info you can check out my 59 panel build thread. haven't touched it for about 4 years but i did a lot of research and managed to repair the area you are looking for info on. pictures should be there or in my gallery.
JonnyCJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Just come across this thread - here’s my two penny worth.

1.) You have a very cool bus. Realise that !

2.) You will get as much pleasure getting small goals achieved as you will sitting back and seeing it finally finished (it will never be finally finished !)

3.) Enjoy the journey. Don’t set a time target to get it finished as you’ll just cut corners and you’ll love it less.

4.) Don’t Get disheartened if you don’t know how to fix something. There are plenty of people on here willing to help.

5.) If you get stuck on one area move onto another and get a small win. Even if it’s just polishing up some trim or cleaning some glass. It’ll give you a lift and will need doing at some point anyway.

Have fun Very Happy
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else Feeling overwhelmed and under prepared build Reply with quote

Got my tank out and checked it over. I filled it with water and noticed no leaks. There was some debris that came out, was black in color. Should I use this original tank or buy a new one. I like the thought of keeping the original one but not sure how to clean it out. I found someone that is going to come over and teach me some something and help me with it. Kind of got me motivated again.

1961 Standard
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: