Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!"
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Hi All!

I've been anxiously awaiting for the last three months to see a what my reactions would be when I finally sat down in the seat of the 1991 14" syncro Doka that I had Mike (Busman) pick up for me in Germany.

Well it finally happened as I picked it up from the Port of Tacoma today. Body looks great but can certainly tell it was used - not sure how though. A six or so year old paint job seems to be holding up well enough and nothing but superficial rust found here and there - body in great shape. The Doka had some panels replaced when it was repainted close it its original green. Rockers, wells and some of the undercarriage all undercoated at the time. Was feeling pretty good!

Fairly low milage with 126K km's on the working speedo. Hoping the drive train proves to be in good shape also.

Engine is a 1.9 TD, which I know nothing about (help here please!) and seems to run fine. As far as I know its original. I had thought the AAZ were upgrades from other VW models, but am starting to think that in Europe perhaps they were offered stock?

The downside Sad

After picking it up and driving to US Customs it became apparent that something was amiss. At first it I thought the parking brake was sticking as it was slow to come up to speed, not unusual for a VW I know, but - seemed to be working more than I would expect. But by the time I got to customs - 3-4 miles max - it was apparent the clutch was the issue. Started to drive like an automatic and couldn't get speed enough to shift past 2nd. Really easy to overspeed and RMP's would go up the Doka would start to slow down. Couldn't start off in 1st, granny only, and knew it'd never make a hill. I'm sure I wasn't driving it perfectly, lugging a bit much and missed a gear here and there, but I doubt even I could destroy a clutch in 3-4 miles without really trying.

So after dealing with customs (see "chicken tax" thread for more entertainment) I limp over to Small Car Preformance a mile and half away. Was going to have them look over it anyway before driving it to be barged north, but it looks like it may be missing that boat as it waits diagnosis at Small Car. At this point it makes way more sense to deal with this down here.

Anyway, bummed enough that I forgot to take a dang picture of it to post here! Evil or Very Mad

Here's one Mike took as he delivered it for shipping.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any info on where I might find more 1.9TD -> clutch issues info would be way appreciated as I start my syncro-itise caused journey.

PS, any tricks to keep your wife from killing you also greatly appreciated.... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Man that thing looks beautiful. Bummer about the clutch though. But I'm sure SCP will have you covered.

Re: that 1.9TD. No - Vanagons (or "T3s") have never been available with a 1.9TD. However, in case this bus was a former 1.6TD (JX) it is possible to make an engine swap towards an AAZ that looks pretty stock. When dropping in the AAZ you usually keep the Diesel injection pump from the JX, as well as some other bits and pieces (oil pan and I guess turbo as well), so for the untrained eye it can have a stock appearance.

edit: During this procedure all of the stock functionality will be kept intact as well (cold start pull, pre-glow LED, rev counter, dynamic oil pressure LED), so that might add to the "I am stock"-appearance. You won't notice an AAZ swap from the cockpit at all, neither visually nor by deeper inspection of wiring etc. A clean AAZ swap happens in the engine bay and nowhere else. /edit

Further input in picture-form is needed to help with the engine topic.

Good luck having your clutch fixed and enjoy this beauty of a doka!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Hooray for the pretty green Doka!

As for tips with your wife, take up a few bad habits such as gambling, boozing, staying out late and maybe even philandering. When it comes time to rid yourself of these bad habits tell your wife that you need a hobby, maybe working on stodgy old cars would keep you out of trouble. She'll love the doka when it helps you mend your ways.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

As for tips with your wife, take up a few bad habits such as gambling, boozing, staying out late and maybe even philandering. When it comes time to rid yourself of these bad habits tell your wife that you need a hobby, maybe working on stodgy old cars would keep you out of trouble. She'll love the doka when it helps you mend your ways.

This advice works well when you tell the second wife what you did wrong with the first......

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

wow. Now THAT's an Alaska machine!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Very nice machine. Love the color. In case the OP gets frustrated with it, I have room in my driveway for permanent parking.......

Craig
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

I used to live in Hawaii and shipped many vehicles from the Port of Tacoma. I did a complete restoration and upgrades on a 80s Jeep Scrambler. It was a beautiful capable thing. When I picked it up on Lanai I went to back out of a parking space and there was no reverse nothing it was gone. I noticed there were a few too many miles on the odometer than should have been for a transfer on Oahu. Some employee enroute probably was screwing around.

I can't remember if it was Matson or Young Brothers but I got the paperwork work for damage to my goods and a short phone call. What I thought would be a huge headache and denial on their end was so ridiculously simple.

Without an argument in the slightest they bought me a NEW transmission from the mainland and covered labor to install.

You may want to see if you are covered.
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

I used to work on Boats in the Seattle and Tacoma ports. I watched many ships and containers get unloaded. Used to see really neat vehicles parked right where you picked yours up. Longshoreman = speed when unloading and there are many places where they are out of sight in those ports. The last vehicle I shipped to Lanai (Landcruiser) stayed in the container till it was in my driveway!

I think the shipping companies have to carry very good insurance to cover goods.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

hi Mark,

I saw your Doka on the dock...

when I came to pick up mine... Very Happy

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

I got about 40K miles out of a stock 1.6 diesel NA clutch setup before I noticed a slight slipping. I installed a TDI single mass flywheel and clutch using this thread as a reference. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...tdi+clutch

I purchased the larger input shaft from Christopher at T3 Technique. I used a TDI single mass LUK clutch and flywheel kit. If you go through the above thread, I posted a picture of the kit I went with. Very minor clearancing in the bellhousing and the nose of the starter. Very pleased with the outcome. You can run the stock input shaft with a gasser clutch disc, but the TDI disc is very stout.

Do it all once and be done with it. Most likely the clutch was damaged in transit. Slipping it to get up a steep ramp etc. Nice looking ride.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Thanks for the support everyone! I am way stoked to start the upgrade, tinker & swear process and drive the thing. I guess I figured to start with the swearing part.

modmatt wrote:
Re: that 1.9TD. No - Vanagons (or "T3s") have never been available with a 1.9TD. However, in case this bus was a former 1.6TD (JX) it is possible to make an engine swap towards an AAZ that looks pretty stock. When dropping in the AAZ you usually keep the Diesel injection pump from the JX, as well as some other bits and pieces (oil pan and I guess turbo as well), so for the untrained eye it can have a stock appearance.

edit: During this procedure all of the stock functionality will be kept intact as well (cold start pull, pre-glow LED, rev counter, dynamic oil pressure LED), so that might add to the "I am stock"-appearance. You won't notice an AAZ swap from the cockpit at all, neither visually nor by deeper inspection of wiring etc. A clean AAZ swap happens in the engine bay and nowhere else. /edit

Further input in picture-form is needed to help with the engine topic.

Thanks for that info modmatt I'll pass that on and take some pictures when I stop down to Small Car. I really like the idea of a diesel for where it'll be in SE Alaska (about $0.60 cheaper per gallon) but I've zero experince with them.

jimf909 wrote:

Ha! Good advice! Unfortunately, I think she currently sees the Doka as "all of the above" Very Happy

I'll have to look into the shipping insurance theadventureneverends. I'll probably wait till I get a good idea of what's actually going on with it before I do.

0to60in6min wrote:
hi Mark,

I saw your Doka on the dock...

when I came to pick up mine... Very Happy

Wow! That's a beauty! Are you sure you got the right one? Smile

MarkWard wrote:
I got about 40K miles out of a stock 1.6 diesel NA clutch setup before I noticed a slight slipping. I installed a TDI single mass flywheel and clutch using this thread as a reference. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...tdi+clutch

I purchased the larger input shaft from Christopher at T3 Technique. I used a TDI single mass LUK clutch and flywheel kit. If you go through the above thread, I posted a picture of the kit I went with. Very minor clearancing in the bellhousing and the nose of the starter. Very pleased with the outcome. You can run the stock input shaft with a gasser clutch disc, but the TDI disc is very stout.

Do it all once and be done with it. Most likely the clutch was damaged in transit. Slipping it to get up a steep ramp etc. Nice looking ride.

Thanks Mark this information is exactly what I need - got my morning reading assignment.

Thanks again Samba for the support. Pictures soon, along with details.

Sodo wrote:
wow. Now THAT's an Alaska machine!
Cool

Mark

Last edited by Alaskaberrys on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Nice Doka!
As mentioned already, no, the AAZ is not stock.
To drop a few names (aside from myself), Waldi, Ms. Taboo, and Andrew Libby are familiar with these motors.
(I'm not going to say how much of an expert each is, but this is the short list of who I would seek answers from.)
There are other AAZ drivers on here, so your options are wide open.
Speaking for myself, I love my AAZ! I gives a little better performance than a stock gasser, but it goes so much further (MPG)!
Also, the TORQUE.
Good god, man the torque! You might not get there first, but you can now get stuck in places most others can't even get to!
Best of luck, feel free to ask questions!
Nico
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Nice Doka!
As mentioned already, no, the AAZ is not stock.
To drop a few names (aside from myself), Waldi, Ms. Taboo, and Andrew Libby are familiar with these motors.
(I'm not going to say how much of an expert each is, but this is the short list of who I would seek answers from.)
There are other AAZ drivers on here, so your options are wide open.
Speaking for myself, I love my AAZ! I gives a little better performance than a stock gasser, but it goes so much further (MPG)!
Also, the TORQUE.
Good god, man the torque! You might not get there first, but you can now get stuck in places most others can't even get to!
Best of luck, feel free to ask questions!
Nico

Thanks for the tips as to whom to send queries/salmon to!

It's going to be a learning curve for sure, but I like the idea of sticking to what it came with - more or less. Small Car does the Subaru converts and I have to admit that's was tempting as I limped over in 1st. I'm guessing the big 16" wheels coupled with a big torque motor doesn't help the clutches job much. Throw some overworked dock workers in and a novice over eager new owner into the mix.... Busman wrote back this morning and said indeed the add listed it with a "new clutch" so perhaps it's a PO job that might not have been adjusted well.

Edit; I may need to be looking into the shifter itself too, certainly felt like there were some worn parts, really hard to find 1st, fell into 2nd much easier, and pretty sloppy all around. So that few miles of start and stops was probably pretty hard on it. I've driven many manuals over the years (from cement trucks to fire trucks) but I was really having a hard time finding the sweet spot on this one.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Mine is a '90, and I've already replaced the shifter (mine broke!).
Cheapest, check the linkage. Make sure everything is tight, Then start looking to replace parts.
You still have the EU speedo, so here's a tip:
1st: Needle twitches around 25.
2nd: around 40.
3rd: between 60-80 depending on traffic.
4th: tops out around 125.
I cruise between 110 and 120 quite nicely (215/70R15).
When you have the shop replace the clutch, see if they can check out the linkage as well....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys - Seems like deja vu. When I picked up my Syncro 3 years ago from the Port of Tacoma, it too had problems from the get-go. I couldn't move it off the property because the I pulled the stick shift out of the floor. It broke off at the base and when I got that fixed, the clutch was totally fried. I think there is a longshoreman at the port that can't drive stick and has it out for German vans. Here's my port pic:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
Alaskaberrys - Seems like deja vu. When I picked up my Syncro 3 years ago from the Port of Tacoma, it too had problems from the get-go. I couldn't move it off the property because the I pulled the stick shift out of the floor. It broke off at the base and when I got that fixed, the clutch was totally fried. I think there is a longshoreman at the port that can't drive stick and has it out for German vans...

Ha! Wow, that musta been a shock! Can't imagine what went through your head at that point..."wtf?!? Oh, mannnn..."

Team WorldTour wrote:
Mine is a '90, and I've already replaced the shifter (mine broke!).
Cheapest, check the linkage. Make sure everything is tight, Then start looking to replace parts.
You still have the EU speedo, so here's a tip:
1st: Needle twitches around 25.
2nd: around 40.
3rd: between 60-80 depending on traffic.
4th: tops out around 125.
I cruise between 110 and 120 quite nicely (215/70R15).
When you have the shop replace the clutch, see if they can check out the linkage as well....

Ok, good to have a starting point. Hardest part right now is getting used to the idea of waiting a few weeks more. Was planning on this week in the Seattle area to go over it before taking it to the docks for shipping north. Just want to crawl under it and check it out. Small Car is pretty busy and may not be able to fix the clutch till October. And as Mark mentioned above, probably best to get it done now, and by a shop. I'll be fine chasing smaller troubles and save the tricker (i.e. not to be screwed up) items till after I've gotten to know it better.

Is yours a stock 16"? Are you using a stock clutch still?
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

If Small Car is busy, you might want to try Oval's Motorsport in Milton, WA about 3-4 miles North on hwy 99 from Small Car. They do work on my Syncro. Ask for Fred the owner. Their busy time usually winds down about now. They might get you in for a clutch quicker than SC.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip RainerSyncro, I'll put their number in my phone.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Putting another stock vanagon diesel clutch back in would be the quickest way to get you back on the road. If you don't over stress it, you could have miles of easy motoring ahead. I got 40 K out of ours and even then, I was able to nurse it along for a couple more camping trips. Then plan your upgrades for the future.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Putting another stock vanagon diesel clutch back in would be the quickest way to get you back on the road. If you don't over stress it, you could have miles of easy motoring ahead. I got 40 K out of ours and even then, I was able to nurse it along for a couple more camping trips. Then plan your upgrades for the future.

That may be the route we go - appreciated the input yesterday, passed that on to Small Car, helpful to know that a stock setup will work.

It's going to be driven mostly in the lower gears - we've only 34 miles of road in Gustavus - but will get plenty of clutch action nonetheless. However I could "plan" for an upgrade a bit easier. And dive into it myself...perhaps Smile

About to call them and see if they can fit it in before Friday night.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: