Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Well, next up was to restore the drivers side window to operational status. It had rolled down and refuse to come up for Busman at the docks in Belgium - all he could do was hastily throw up some self sticking plastic.

Plus I wanted to see what might be feeding this scary little pustule in the middle of the door. Pretty sure I knew.... Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, once in the shop and window regulator removed and cleaned and awaiting a new little plastic bit that had disintegrated I did some exploring. The Doka received a new paint job some years back and looks like a fairly extensive rust remediation job was done - lots of Por-15 on the chassis, rubber undercoating over that on the rockers with paint on top of that (opposite the GoWesty look). Good paint job - windows out, new rubber, don’t think they had the dash out, but doors were off too. Attention paid to inside cavities and such.

But they missed some spots.....

Dead center of the door, hardest spot to reach. Right behind the bleb.

Well, treating the inside of the door cavity was relatively easy, brushed, blew, scrapped and cleaned and treated with POR-15, but now it looks like I’ll be detailing the outside too.

Might be a good spot for my business logo Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

where did you get that Nikota workbench?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Our local candy store - Alaska Industrial Hardware. Got it quite a few years back. Had to buy a Doka to matching it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Cool Syncro. I love the Escorial green.

In regards to your poor starting. I'd check the basics: proper operation of the GPs, no fuel is getting into your fuel system and timing. Also I'm not sure if you're aware of the AAZs achilles heel: crank sprocket key way wear. Unusual starting characteristics with AAZs can often be attributed to wear between the sprocket and crank snout. Take a 19mm or 3/4" 12pt socket and put it on the crank bolt and gently move it back and forth. If you can discern any movement in this union needs to be dealt with quick.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Quote:
Had to buy a Doka to matching it.

haha ...and you paint your house trims, barn trims to match the Doka too? Very Happy

I used to work for Nikota, they make very good tools but went bankrupt about ten years ago...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:
Had to buy a Doka to matching it.

haha ...and you paint your house trims, barn trims to match the Doka too? Very Happy

I used to work for Nikota, they make very good tools but went bankrupt about ten years ago...

I’ve found that living in a temperate rain forest you might as well just make everything green - it’s going to get there anyway eventually Smile

That workbench is great - super stout, easy to add, clamp, bolt to and folds flat. Wondered why I hadn’t seen them in AIH recently.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Cool Syncro. I love the Escorial green.

In regards to your poor starting. I'd check the basics: proper operation of the GPs, no fuel is getting into your fuel system and timing. Also I'm not sure if you're aware of the AAZs achilles heel: crank sprocket key way wear. Unusual starting characteristics with AAZs can often be attributed to wear between the sprocket and crank snout. Take a 19mm or 3/4" 12pt socket and put it on the crank bolt and gently move it back and forth. If you can discern any movement in this union needs to be dealt with quick.

Ahh, so that’s the color? Have been searching for VW colors as I wasn’t sure if it was a stock color or not in Europe and I’m going to need to be repainting that door and a few other spots at some point.

Thanks for the AAZ crank check tip. I’ve read a bit about that weak spot but haven’t done the wiggle test yet - it starts right up with glow plugs now that I got them working so I haven’t focused on the engine much yet. A good reminder to do so soon regardless.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

Ahh, so that’s the color? Have been searching for VW colors as I wasn’t sure if it was a stock color or not in Europe and I’m going to need to be repainting that door and a few other spots at some point.

Paint info here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527875&highlight=escorial

RonC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
Alaskaberrys wrote:

Paint info here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527875&highlight=escorial

RonC

Thanks Ron for the link, that’s an awesome list kamzcab86 put together! Looks like I’ll be calling the local pain(t) store with some codes now...found some buried seam rust on the drivers side rocker to be dealt with.

...oh boy.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

In between sorties of rust search and destroy, I've been slowly piling up more tasks to add to the green beast "to-do" list....

First, the cab height Vindic Canopy arrived!

I had it shipped from Wyoming, bought it from a Samaba add.

The seller disclosed its issues (besides its being 26 years old). Door damage, no keys and the struts were all toast. But pretty nice condition otherwise.

The seller did an amazing job of crating it up, I got lucky there. It would NOT have arrived as it did without them willing to source a large pallet and wrap it all up. Three shipping hops - one truck, one barge and a ferry ride - got it here and it arrived in the shape it left in (no I won't share how much I paid in freight Embarassed ). These canopies are not known for their strength, in fact I'm hoping to dream up a way to beef up the main canopy in a fashion that would allow a roof top tent. Probably going to be adding a metal arch to the rear and fiberglassing that in. Still in the planning stages there....

First unpack, give it all a good going over and start disassembly;

Hey! Found a beer! Thanks Very Happy

Six struts to source;

Most of the hardware looks restorable. Might need new handles if I want the locks to work, but after replacing some screws and bolts I think all will work as it should.

To the repair work. Cut out the broken fiberglass and started with the repair;

Then fiberglass filler - note how indented the whole area above the break was. Curious how it was damaged;

1st prime coat sanded. I'm not going to go crazy with the little imperfections, but am wanting to practice for that rust repair on the doka body Rolling Eyes

3rd and final prime coat;

Krylon rattle can white on the well cleaned inside and refinsihed outside;

Now only two more doors and the top itself....oh boy.

Anybody have info on the rear leg mounts?

Looks like they should be flush with the bed, but looks as tho this doka never had a Vindic mounted as no tell tale holes...
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Looks like you are off to the races. I've always had a soft spot for Dokas. Nice job on the glass work.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

fleet_maintenance wrote:
Looks like you are off to the races. I've always had a soft spot for Dokas. Nice job on the glass work.

Thanks! As long as that race is a slow one Smile

Having never done any sheet metal restoration work I’m learning a lot with the fiberglass work. Any painting on the doka will be with rattle can - Juneau paint store set me up with good automotive primer, paint and clear coat in cans and this work helps get the technique dialed in.
syncrodemaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Hey AlaskaB! Here's some photos of the struts I'm using on the doors and also those mounts to the truck bed, looks like you have it in the right spot:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

syncrodemaya wrote:
Hey AlaskaB! Here's some photos of the struts I'm using on the doors and also those mounts to the truck bed, looks like you have it in the right spot:

Hey SyncroD I had looked through those pictures you sent me earlier but missed that one of the leg on the bed. It does look to be flush. Thanks!

It looks as though there is only one bolt holding yours down tho!

And I did use your strut numbers to source some more, thanks again! Cool
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

When you get to the rattle can keep the cans warm especially since you are in AK. You can set them in a bucket of hot water and shake the living crap out of them before you start. Do multiple thin layers. Do not be like me and get and spray a layer on a wet layer.

I have done a lot of rattle can and I never follow my own advice. It always turns out ok. Never the best but I have seen some amazing results from people who are more patient than me.
syncrodemaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

It looks as though there is only one bolt holding yours down tho!

Oh yea, so I think there should be more than one bolt to hold down the mounts in the corner...Mike in Belgium didn't put all of them in, thanks for reminding me!

After the engine is running my next priority is also fixing up the Vindic canopy and should bolt it down better. Your fiberglass work is looking great!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

syncrodemaya wrote:

After the engine is running my next priority is also fixing up the Vindic canopy and should bolt it down better. Your fiberglass work is looking great!

Really looking forward to hearing about the new engine!

Have you had any luck finding a boat shop for your canopy repairs? If not, it’s not hard, just really messy and fumey. If you’ve no garage you can fume up it can be done outdoors under a cover - coveralls, gloves, good respirator, orbital sander and some warmish dry weather (ok, perhaps that is asking a lot in the PNW...)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
When you get to the rattle can keep the cans warm especially since you are in AK. You can set them in a bucket of hot water and shake the living crap out of them before you start. Do multiple thin layers. Do not be like me and get and spray a layer on a wet layer.

I have done a lot of rattle can and I never follow my own advice. It always turns out ok. Never the best but I have seen some amazing results from people who are more patient than me.

Ha! I can relate to those words - do as I say, not as I do. Anybody with kids does that! Very Happy

I found the Krylon rattle can on the canopy was quite different then the stuff the paint shop mixed for me to use on the wheels (will post that soon). It flashed pretty quick and I built a layers up fast. Then clear coat 20 min later. Super fumie, respirator was a must. Was working in my shop so temps were controllable. We use a warm box on the construction site to keep spray foam and paint cans up to temp here, but I could see how the warm water would offer better more consistent heating. Good tip.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Those canopies must have sheetmetal frames inside if they're using rivets to attach the hardware. Just a random observation.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Another syncro Doka arrives!... or "WTF did I just do!?!" Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Those canopies must have sheetmetal frames inside if they're using rivets to attach the hardware. Just a random observation.

I really wanted to find that out - but there were no “holes” to peer into and was reluctant to make new ones. I think if there is any metal in there it’s just a piece glassed in under the rivets before the form was glassed in place. I initially thought those were solid forms, but you could hear bits of material ratteling around inside as you flip the panel over. I was initially worried they might start to loosen but they are all rock solid so far.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: