Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

Samba service announcement, Samba member AKWesty's method re-posted with a "searchable? subject title". If there's a better title send a note & I'll edit. Want members to be able to find it when the time comes. And its coming.

For members having transaxle pain, here's a brilliant way to ship it.
It helps the rebuilder too, because he doesn't have to build a return crate, after discarding your taped-up boxes.
Pics are from member AKWesty's post in 2015.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like 48qt holds a 2WD trans, what size fits 4WD?

I'd use drywall screws and screw that block on (from the inside). Maybe AK did that?

Alternate subject title....
"Adding a COOLER to your Vanagon transaxle" Rolling Eyes

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

Doesn't the main shaft just a unscrew once you pull the circlips and the collar back?
That is the best way to ship a Trans for sure. The good thing is is that you can find them on the side of the road or in thrift stores dirt cheap. Even buying them new is no biggee.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

On some diffs the threaded collar needs to be slackened in order to let the diff drop enough to slide the splined collar back and unscrew the input shaft. It's a good idea to indent both the threaded collar and trans, and then count how many turns you've unthreaded. I use a Sharpee to note that figure on the collar, just because.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Doesn't the main shaft just a unscrew once you pull the circlips and the collar back?
That is the best way to ship a Trans for sure...Stacy

Can you elaborate?

I need to ship my Syncro locker trans from CT-CA, so great timing on post Cool

Thx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
16CV's wrote:
unscrew once you pull the circlips and the collar back?
Can you elaborate?

Unbolt the bellhousing. Fwd of the differential you will see a splined collar that joins the two-part input shaft. Remove a circlip and slide the splined collar off the clutch shaft. The two shaft parts are held together ( loosely!) with a 7mm "allthread stud". So then you can unscrew the clutch shaft.

This will also allow you to look at your Ring&pinion before sending it off. And you may KNOW that you need a new one, or rejoice in the knowledge that you don't. And familiarize yourself somewhat with diff area.

Now's a good time to drill & tap some Holes for an oil cooling setup. Cuz you don't have to clean up the chips (if u ever did.... Wink ) My best recommendation is to use the fillport for "in" and do NOT add the "oiling plate" on the fill-bung side of the trans because it blocks your oil stream from hitting the "4th gear mesh area". OK so the port I'd recommend for your trans is simply an oil level check hole on the driver side. The other port you'll want is for a temperature sensor. Probably on the bottom of the trans, so its in the oil and truly reports on oil temp. These are 1/4NPT pipe thread holes. A 1/4NPT female hole is slightly smaller than 1/4pipe diam (540" diameter).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

What Casey was referring to is that the locker diffs (and probably all 4-spider diffs) require that the left-hand side adjuster be loosened, so that the diff can move to the left & drop down a tad. Otherwise, the joining sleeve won't clear the diff. This of course requires removing both flanges, too ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

I used one of the giant costco coolers (100qt iirc) that i happened to have on hand from my catering days. That fits a syncro trans perfectly with NO disassembly required. That last part is important so the rebuilder sends you back a trans that all you need to do is install and not fuss with any reassembly. However if all you have are the smaller coolers like pictured, then by all means do it the way sodo outlined. I was just lucky that I had one of those big coolers on hand, otherwise they probably run north of $50. And yes, this is the best way to ship a transmission. Good post sodo

Last edited by candyman on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

Yes the 4 spider diffs need the extra steps for shaft removal and even some 2 spider diffs don't have quite enough room due to variations in the casting.

Mark
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

These coolers are about $70 delivered. Just the packing time saved makes it worth it, and FedEx loves the handles.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

I don't think you guys quite understand the purpose or function of a transmission cooler. Without external fluid cooling and some sort of heat exchanger, this is only going to make your problems worse.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
I don't think you guys quite understand the purpose or function of a transmission cooler. Without external fluid cooling and some sort of heat exchanger, this is only going to make your problems worse.

-d

If you have access to a walkin fridge or freezer, you can prechill the cooler overnight before you pack the transmission. That should keep the tranmission cooler, no need for external fluid at that point
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

Somes o' youse guys are funny... Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
raoul mitgong wrote:

-d

If you have access to a walkin fridge or freezer, you can prechill the cooler overnight before you pack the transmission. That should keep the tranmission cooler, no need for external fluid at that point

Once the cooler is prechilled, remove the beer and drink it while packing up the trans. External fluid does its job while you do yours, external fluid becomes internal for a while before becoming external again, warmed considerably.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

Thats a cool idea. Get it? "cool"?

I wondered if shipping a transaxle with the clutch housing off was viable. i.e. not saying this is what Sodo is doing but next time I get a rebuilt, unless they guarantee that the clutch housing will be "rebuilt", I'll keep mine and do it myself.

re: comments on input shaft removal. Here's a couple pics i took a while ago showing the gear, splines, etc. for an air cooled transaxle.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

gears wrote:
These coolers are about $70 delivered. Just the packing time saved makes it worth it, and FedEx loves the handles.

Got a link to these? Asking for a friend… Cool

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

Walmart is your friend. Measure the trans and go shopping.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

Walmart? We don't have those here. But yeah, I guess I can get some measurements and work from them.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Walmart? We don't have those here. But yeah, I guess I can get some measurements and work from them.

We put ours in the next town over so that they have To pay for all the added police for petit larcenies, grab and gos, and shoplifting.

When the dollar stores come in, you know the town is finished. Their biz plan I said cleaning out the last dollars left by walmart.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

gears wrote:

What size and brand are those coolers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Packing a transaxle in a Cooler! (shipping/crating) Reply with quote

I think I used this one. Check to see if the internal dims work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Company-120-Quart-C...amp;sr=8-5

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: