Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eksmaan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

Hey Everyone!

I have a set of windows that are in desperate need of some loooove! What are some of the best ways to disassemble (where needed) and clean? I am putting them into my bus in the next few months.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

Cleaning Jalousie Windows

Vent Wing Resto That Really Works

BulliBill also does a good job of cab door window write up... starts about here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7479405#7479405
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

all the moving parts are available on the internet- those cranks and handles, nylon sliders special screws and MANY post here on how to do it. these designs haven't changed in 80 years.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eksmaan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

Thank you!
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

Mine were painted when I got them, so it took lots of paint remover, 0000 steel wool and elbow grease to get them clean. Followed up by some aluminum polishing compound. vintagetrailersupply.com should have all the seals you need as well as new cranks (if needed). I had a few frames that had to be completely disassembled and found new solid rivets at ace hardware.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:
Mine were painted when I got them, so it took lots of paint remover, 0000 steel wool and elbow grease to get them clean. Followed up by some aluminum polishing compound. vintagetrailersupply.com should have all the seals you need as well as new cranks (if needed). I had a few frames that had to be completely disassembled and found new solid rivets at ace hardware.

Getting ready to pull my windows out myself in the near future so following this and the other threads with interest.

What size rivots did you use?

Also, my windows had wire tied through the screen and around the center posts to keep the windows closed. I assume this was done because the cranks were shot and the PO did not care to take the time to fix/replace them. Are there any form of locks for these types of windows or are the inside cranks meant to serve this purpose?
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:

Getting ready to pull my windows out myself in the near future so following this and the other threads with interest.

What size rivots did you use?

Also, my windows had wire tied through the screen and around the center posts to keep the windows closed. I assume this was done because the cranks were shot and the PO did not care to take the time to fix/replace them. Are there any form of locks for these types of windows or are the inside cranks meant to serve this purpose?

Sorry, I don’t remember the size. They are solid type rivets. Dirt cheap at ace hardware. I bought a handful of each size and just used whichever one fit best. I didn’t have to fix any hinges, just the inner frame pieces. Those joints used the style with a flat head. You brace the head against something sturdy (like a vice) and then hammer the other end to flatten it.

If you need to replace any of the hinge rivets, they have a rounded head and you wou would need a special dimpled tool to keep the round shape of the head when flattening the backside. Vintagetrailersupply or any airstream website sells those rivets and the tool.

Yes, the new cranks will keep the windows firmly in place so you won’t have to go back to the wire locks!

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:

Yes, the new cranks will keep the windows firmly in place so you won’t have to go back to the wire locks!

Awesome. Looking at these windows is driving me nuts, can't wait to get them cleaned up and working correctly.
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

Here is a close up of those pesky screws, which I was able to get out today with the use of "just the right" square bit.

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:
Here is a close up of those pesky screws, which I was able to get out today with the use of "just the right" square bit.

Right on! I ended up findind a good substitute in a phillips head when I reassembled mine.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Camper WINDOWS; How Do I Clean and Rebuild? Reply with quote

Clutch head screws. Common on 50's american stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: