Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfin02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

I am the new owner of an '87 Westfalia camper.
While sorting a few minor things I discovered this mystery wire & hole under the backseat.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can anyone help me out that goes here?
You can see the hole from the front of the bus and the wire when you lift the seat.
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Oooh, oooh, I know, I know!!

There used to be a rear heater under your seat. It probably leaked antifreeze all over and the previous owner pulled it out rather than fix it.

Mine, and many others, have the same thing going on and prefer having the extra space instead of the heater anyway.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Oooh, oooh, I know, I know!!

There used to be a rear heater under your seat. It probably leaked antifreeze all over and the previous owner pulled it out rather than fix it.

Mine, and many others, have the same thing going on and prefer having the extra space instead of the heater anyway.

What he said. Rolling Eyes
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

I think its from an old bread warmer the PO had. The heat from the engine keeps the bread warm while your traveling and the wires are there for the timer and light. So you didnt over warm and you were able to look in on the paninis and croissants.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Man, first post and everything, poor guy didn't even know what came standard with his "new" Westy...
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Gee…do you think the poor guy will come back with other questions when he's piled on? Give the new owner a break.

To the OP, yes, that's where the rear heater lived. Many owners will pull the heater when the core starts to leak (pretty common), the wires fed the blower fan. The two holes are where the water lines from the cooling system came into and out from the cabin.
If you live in a cold climate and use the van year round you may want to source a replacement, the extra heater helps keep all that space warm.
Otherwise you can survive without. I removed mine more for the extra space rather than any problems with leaking.

One thing you may want to check is how the lines were dealt with, some will merely cap the two lines with some kind of plugs, but best practice is to create a loop so coolant flows from one to the other.

Welcome to the Samba. We love photos so post some of your new toy!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Surfin02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

@MsTaboo here's a pic

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

very nice camper..
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Nice looking van!
I don't know how much reading you have done here on the Samba, but there is a list of first things to check with a new used van.

Check out the "Vanagon Essentials FAQ Guide" at the top of the page.

Good luck and have fun!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness Cool First on the list 2 new fire extinguishers
( chk out the new halon stuff out there) fuel lines , alt belt, auto pedal lock,battery kill switches . good luck nice westy enjoy the ride
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

And put in a hidden GPS just in case you become one of the "chosen few" who have Vanagon joy rides taken by those without your permission or keys!

Interesting thread.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568723&highlight=gps

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Gee…do you think the poor guy will come back with other questions when he's piled on? Give the new owner a break.

Welcome to the Samba. We love photos so post some of your new toy!

As a past forum admin/owner for 10 years this I appreciate the most...

Off topic but what prompted me to open my own photography forum years ago (2004) was an experience i had on another photo forum. I posted a question as a complete newbie and more experienced, existing members chimed in "read the manual!" much like some here now say "read the bentley!" as well as a bunch of other snarky remarks/answers to my question.

I explained that in the amount of key strokes it took to berate me they could have simply answered my question. I left. Never to return. Main rule in my new forum was as in life... there are no stupid questions. Either answer a newbie's question or don't comment at all. Simple. We were all beginners at one point... Nobody woke up one day having all of the knowledge about photography or in this case vanagons, so pay it forward and help inform the new guys and welcome them to the fold. The community becomes better for it. 13 years later, I still hold true to this rule...

Surfin02, welcome aboard... My inbox is always available if you have a question or help with something. Fine looking Van you have there and be prepared... there is a lot of information to learn about these vehicles but its all worth it!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Yes! ^^^

I too failed to welcome you!

You'll have lots of fun with this unit though at times the "love" it requires may be a tad over whelming.

I see that you are missing a plug where the heater hose used to enter under the seat.

Do be aware that mice LOVE these campers and have many many entry points.

This thread will help you find them and correct the problem before it ruins your Van and much work is needed to clean up the mess they make........

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432326

Also go here and scroll down to "rodent problems" for more information.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236057#6236057

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
!

I don't understand what raised your hackles.

I was just excited that I, without doubt, knew the answer to a question - I'm no mechanic so I often can't add to discussions about transmissions etc.

PDX confirmed my response.

AZ made a funny joke.

And somehow that's "piling on"?

OP, great looking van. White is one of my favorite colors for a Westy.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Back to the original question and OP, depending on where you live and how often you plan to camp in wintery weather, I'd consider keeping the rear heater out so you can have more storage room. I have yet to use my rear heater and am considering removing it. Put a sliding drawer in the square hole?

Craig
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

There's a stock rear heater that sits in that place that comes from the factory. The wiring harness you see is for that heater like mentioned earlier. The harness controls the fan power and speeds.

The heater is just like a small radiator where hot coolant flows through it and the fan blows through the radiator/heater core and helps warm the cabin.

Here's what the heater looks like. notice the coolant hoses that go through the wall.

This might be a bit much to digest but you can see how the heater hoses incorporate into the cooling system

Often times when you hear of old cars beginning to overheat in the summer while tackling a mountain passes etc they'll turn their heat on... this is because it helps disperse the heat from the cooling system into the vehicle. like adding 2 more small radiators in the case of the vanagon. 1 in front and 1 in the rear.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Did anyone notice how shiny the OP's camper floor is? Good gravy!

kourt

Surfin02 wrote:

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba. Being from south Florida, heat is not the most critical option. As mentioned you can store a lot of stuff under the back seat. Problem is accessing it. It is not always convenient to lift the seat to get in there. So we end up storing the things we don't need often. I am not brave enough to cut an access hole in the face, but if I were a new owner in your situation, I might consider a way to use that opening as an access area. You could fabricate a small door and partition it so that things you put it there would stay put, but could be easily accessed. Our espar auxillary heater ended up in that space as well as our camping battery.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

I grew up in a region where you pile it on. Thats just how we roll.

On another note I converted my westy to subaru and had to add that rear heater as a fuction of my cooling system. I bought mine from JEGS. Looks identical to the pic posted. Was pretty cheap and kicks out a good deal of heat (not that we need that in my parts).

It might not fit the hole where your bread warmer use to be so check the measurements. Or go stock.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wire & hole in my 1987 Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Abel, that is one clean looking heater! I see you've go the replacement heater control valve installed, one of the big vendors, I'd say, comparing your picture to what I got from GoWesty. I LOVE my underseat heater. Funny tho, that I forgot to turn it "off" with the valve for Summer, and the kids kept wondering why the entire back of the van was so hot on our 15 hour drive Wink All of my tools, spare parts, and the seat/bed was toasty, to say the least... Kids asked for A/C, and I gave it.. After I unloaded all the parts/tools and turned the valve off, we didn't need A/C anymore.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: