Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus CAD model build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

This is the current state of the frame. Mostly correct but I need to verify the dimensions.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

I was thinking of you today. I was following a Suzuki swift AWD (latest model) along here in Japan and it has a very short rear diff that may be a solve for your worm gear problem. I think the SX4 is the same mechanically too.
ThumperDone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

j.pickens, No I haven't seen a setup like this in person, unless it was a tractor.

Design wise it might be as simple as creating (copy) the bellhousing ring/pinion area of a stock trans and gear it like running in normal 2nd or 3rd gear, like the normal Trans type conversions. This would only require a custom worm drive housing. That could be a cylinder the same dia as the motor to bolt right up to it. Hard part would be sourcing the gears unless I really did snag them from a Dub trans.

The major benefit I see in this design is moving as much weight forward as possible. A side effect, the engine floor area can now be converted to a bolt-in bowl/box that fits that area to house all the electronics out of sight. Making the engine bay a real trunk.

I know I can do it, just what will it take.
ThumperDone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

sgellis, I can respect that. I like doing things once so I prefer them be right the first time if at all possible.

Yes, I even bookmarked his Youtube channel to keep an eye. My bus looks almost exactly like his color, year and all.
ThumperDone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

zimblewinder, Do you mean the Suzuki SX4 and it's differential? If so, ok I game to look. Know where I can find some specs or at least it dimensions?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
This is the current state of the frame. Mostly correct but I need to verify the dimensions.

Maybe draw some (A, B, C, ...) dimension lines & we can help fill in the blanks for you.
ThumperDone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Updated the differential to something that should be able to be built or modded. The dimensions are the same as a stock tranny and the overall length from rear of the motor to the cover of the differential is under the normal tranny length.
The electric motor is modeled at 16" by 9" in dia. so it should fit as it is about the size of the gearbox but need to measure more to know for sure.
The transmission plate is in the correct position in both models to show position of the differential correctly in comparison.

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

I'm guessing that there's gotta be an existing differential that meets these specs out there somewhere. That setup would go a long way in improving the performance of the retrofit.
It would allow a less powerful, smaller motor, and with electric cars, that is everything.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Allrounder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Do you have a drawing of the small roof windows for a Samba Bus??
I need to get some cut for a friend.

/Rolf
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

I'm really loving these drawings. Nice job!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

This is really nice.

I don't know about Fusion 360 but you should be able to model every small detailed piece of metal and have it fit together in your CAD model. From these pieces you can construct the model as a whole. Then if you want to know what a specific piece is you can go through the model and look at it.

I've seen this done in Aveva.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimPrue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Hello sgellis,
We have a 68 Split screen which was originally from Brazil. We had it sandblasted which has exposed extensive rust throughout the lower panels and "chassis". There is so much rust in the main support "subframes" that I am surprised it did not bend in half.
Are you yet in a position to share the CAD files of the drawings you have been compiling?

Regards,
Tim
Toowoomba, Australia
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

TimPrue wrote:
Hello sgellis,
We have a 68 Split screen which was originally from Brazil. We had it sandblasted which has exposed extensive rust throughout the lower panels and "chassis". There is so much rust in the main support "subframes" that I am surprised it did not bend in half.
Are you yet in a position to share the CAD files of the drawings you have been compiling?

Regards,
Tim
Toowoomba, Australia

Unfortunately I have been very busy so don't have any more drawings ready. I hope to get the cross members finished soon though. I want to insure any drawings I share are good.
vilavolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Hello! Was this project completed?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

vilavolks wrote:
Hello! Was this project completed?

Haha This will never be complete but I do hope to add a lot more to it. Been a very busy year... or two. Hopefully I can start getting some added this summer. I have a lot that I just need to verify dimensions and tweak before I add them here.
jammytask
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

That's a highly impressive piece of work so far sgellis, superb.
jborregoy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

Amazing job!. I'm currently restoring a 52 barndoor pickup and will use your frame as a basis to my parts.

It's possible to have this complete frame you show in the picture in Autodesk Inventor or Fusion to adjust it to the one in my car? Will post some barndoor specific parts as soon as I develop the project.

Appreciate your support.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

jborregoy2k wrote:

It's possible to have this complete frame you show in the picture in Autodesk Inventor or Fusion to adjust it to the one in my car? Will post some barndoor specific parts as soon as I develop the project.

The parts I made available are good enough to build from. Remainder need work so have not made publicly available. I will share the models but know they are not perfect.

I can share the complete assembly for inventor but the parts will be just dumb solids. I can share assembly as a F3z but it will need to be imported into a Fusion project so parts do not loose construction data.

Do you have a Fusion 360 login? I can also setup a team and add members to a shared project.
jborregoy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
jborregoy2k wrote:

The parts I made available are good enough to build from. Remainder need work so have not made publicly available. I will share the models but know they are not perfect.

I can share the complete assembly for inventor but the parts will be just dumb solids. I can share assembly as a F3z but it will need to be imported into a Fusion project so parts do not loose construction data.

Do you have a Fusion 360 login? I can also setup a team and add members to a shared project.

I will create one, and send it to you. I'm not familiar with it, but will learn.

Jorge
3B(G)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

hello

i made the next parts Very Happy
front outrigger

Daniel

65 Panelvan
05 Multivan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: