Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery light after re-wiring alt/starter wiring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fogerty1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Battery light after re-wiring alt/starter wiring Reply with quote

I decided to re-wire my alternator and starter wiring after I found this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686514&highlight=

Given I have a larger house battery, I went with 4awg. One wire from the alternator post to the junction box 12v post, another from the starter to the same junction box post, which replicated the wiring I took out. The blue wire I do not need, as I have an ej22, with a 90 amp alt from a 2001 subaru baja. I basically just re-did the wiring, only made the wires larger for faster charging.

Now the battery light is on/flickers and I am charging at upwards of 14.9V. Idle is somewhat erratic, voltage jumps and falls and the alternator puts out a noticeable whirring noise when all loads are on (lights, blower, stereo, etc.).

Was 4 awg too much, or is it possible the alt is on the way out? Never had the light come on in the previous setup, but the wiring was in need of changing.

Thanks, y'all

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." -T. Waits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: