Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 truck, with a twist.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Hey Samba! Ive been poking around this sight for a while and finally got my project home so time to start a thread. Little background on me: been a car guy most of my life. When I was 11 my dad brought home a 73 super beetle as a project that was supposed to be me and my brothers first car. We were the wrench monkeys while he did front discs, exhaust, carb, etc. That car only stuck around for a about a year before the it was sold back to the guy my dad bought it from. a couple Camaros, a mustang, and a 240sx later, I have my own VW project. My dad's dad worked in auto body and did the body work on this car, it was his baby. The conversion is very well done but its sat outside for a long time so its gonna need some body work to fix some rust and finish what the old man started. ill get around to posting pics soon. I don't have a computer at home, writing this on my work computer, just my smart phone so any info on if/how I can post pics from it? Any who, the car is a 71 squareback that is now a truck....with karmann ghia sheet metal on the front. sounds odd and it is kinda goofy looking but I like it a lot and the conversion looks factory. Its fuel injected with an auto trans, wish it was a 4 speed but oh well. the trans and motor came out of a good running driving squareback that was otherwise roached really bad. Plans are make it a cruiser/shop truck. lowered, maybe some Porsche 2.0 wheels, etc. Looking forward to getting this rolling, will definitely need some help from the experts along the way!!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Cool, let's see it!

You can post pics from your phone to the gallery here, not as easy as a computer. How to post pics link in my signature.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1rabbit1981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Pics or it didn't happen Laughing
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just ran out to the garage and snapped these. I'll get some better pics this weekend of the car and all the parts I got with it. Body needs some love and the floor pan has a Flintstone kinda feel to it but all in all its not horrible!
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Wow! A twist indeed!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Shocked
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

That Ghia nose really bothers me! What a freak! You gotta see this through to a finished product!
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

KTPhil- karmann ghias were always one of my favorite cars so I was kinda stoked to see it. should make a cool little shop truck. Where in Conejo Valley are you? Im just up in Simi Valley
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Looks like the lower half of the Type-3 front fenders were used. It has the body line and flare in the wheel arch. I dig it. I think early Ghia bumpers are a must though.
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

WOAH!!! Shocked

Oh yeah, bring that thing back to life! It's definitely one of a kind.
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Like it a lot.

Lots of Pic's will be nice, and maybe some thoughts of what is to be...

Will be following with bags of enthusiasm

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

WOW - Me Likey!
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
I think early Ghia bumpers are a must though.

Agreed!
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Early ghia bumpers are definitely in the plan as long as I can find/afford one. Im just about to start a new job with a little cut in pay but way better pay and benefits in the long run for me and my wife so progress may be kinda slow as far as getting new parts but for now ill be working on getting the brakes, fuel system, etc in shape. Engine and trans needs a good cleaning but were from a running driving parts car (tons of body rot/rust). I plan on keeping the fuel injection so im sure ill need some help from the local experts here. I have a local body guy that I will have fill some holes and patch the floor panels and get it all in primer. Im good with a wrench but body work is beyond my ability/knowledge currently and I don't have a lot of free time to learn unfortunately. I also have a decent amount of parts that came with the car as well as a couple motors. While I do appreciate a nice resto, ive never been able to leave my own cars stock so plans are lower the car on Porsche 2.0 wheels, paint will most likely be gulf blue. My wife is as very talented artistically so I may have her design a "shop logo" for the doors.
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

dannyX24 wrote:
plans are lower the car on Porsche 2.0 wheels

Vintage Speed has 17 inch 2 Liters... Just saying...

It's already outrageous, you might as well get carried away with it.
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Boogievan wrote:
dannyX24 wrote:
plans are lower the car on Porsche 2.0 wheels

Vintage Speed has 17 inch 2 Liters... Just saying...

It's already outrageous, you might as well get carried away with it.

You read my mind brother! I wanted the 17s but was going to go 15 inch just based on price. But yeah this thing really should be over the top crazy!! Just did a quick search but couldn't find those wheels. Do you happen to have a link?
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2015751

Boom!
Not exactly cheap, but man they're nice
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

HOT DAMN!!! Makes my wallet cry and my heart race! That much sex appeal is worth the money. Just don't tell the wife how much I paid! Thanks a bunch for the link!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Jim, the seller, is a super nice guy too
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

I love it, that Ghia front end is really damn good looking on that. It would be a really great looking Very when it's done.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: