Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 truck, with a twist.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

I hate HOA-holes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

www.MasterSeriesct.com silver and/or black brushes on everything tough,smooth & shiny!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

JiI wrote:
I hate HOA-holes.

Agreed. Nothing like paying for the privilege of being told what you can/can't do.
My front yard is also my blasting area/landfill project. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

My HOAssholes just sent me a letter about mowing & edging my lawn.
I usually reply with a photo of the completed requested "repair", this time I tossed the complaint in the trash.
I mowed the lawn a week & 1/2 ago, somebody is on crack.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
My HOAssholes just sent me a letter about mowing & edging my lawn.
I usually reply with a photo of the completed requested "repair", this time I tossed the complaint in the trash.
I mowed the lawn a week & 1/2 ago, somebody is on crack.

I haven't cut my lawn in 3 weeks, as I'm still waiting for more leafs to fall first.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Luckily they leave us alone usually but I bought my house less than a year ago. Neighbors are all nice but my next door neighbor is the secretary of the HOA so I gotta be careful lol. Just played down my first coat of por15. A local store has it in stock all the time so I went with that in silver. Sorry for the crappy lighting.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

One suggestion if you live in a HOA-controlled development is to go to a board meeting and request a temporary permit/variance. Often they are flattered that you would ask first, and since the CC&Rs probably didn't specifically think about this activity (other than general car repair which most prohibit), they can probably grant it without much ado.

Let your neighbors know. In fact, if you can get a neighbor or board member personally interested in your project (have them over for a beer), and if they see that you are shielding the neighbors from any fallout (noise, lights, dust), they may become an advocate to others in the neighborhood who might otherwise object.

Be sure to give them a ride when you are done. Invite them to a local car club. The effort may go a long way to allow them to look the other way.
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Took the seats out and went to town with a shop vac and did a little bit with the grinder. Passenger side has a little swiss cheese but the driver side seems pretty solid, no holes and feels pretty sturdy. Next week I'll dive in and get the chunky stuff off the floor down and lay down some por15. Put a 2nd coat on the bed floor and loving the way it came out! Hope everyone has a good weekend.

dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Had a change of plan on the wheels. Saw a pair of 5.5 inch sprints at Pomona swap meet and decided I had to have a set. Found these on the samba and picked em up! Gonna have them soda blasted and powder coated in thinking, unless someone has a sweet idea of how to make an pretty. Pretty good shape for being almost 50 years old! Gonna spend a few hours today and tomorrow working on the floor pan on the truck.
MSBenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

dannyX24 wrote:

Had a change of plan on the wheels. Saw a pair of 5.5 inch sprints at Pomona swap meet and decided I had to have a set. Found these on the samba and picked em up! Gonna have them soda blasted and powder coated in thinking, unless someone has a sweet idea of how to make an pretty. Pretty good shape for being almost 50 years old! Gonna spend a few hours today and tomorrow working on the floor pan on the truck.

I remember reading a topic on powder coated rims. Before you go through with it, please read the topic also. If you don't care to hear about the problem that others have had with power coating rims, at least read it for the entertainment value. Laughing

Here it is: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679625

75 Standard Beetle
72 Standard Beetle (first car) sold in '96
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Thanks for that MSBenko!! Funny and eye opening. Maybe a soda blast and rattle can and I'll be sure to mask off the lug holes!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

those are a real tough fit on a type 3. I would get cheap used tires and do a mock up first. I know, I've fit them on a type 3. it's tight at best

my friends old car. these are 4.5 up front and 5.5 out back. they just have the wrong offest in back

also, when I re-did mine that were not chrome, i masked and sprayed duplicolor silver wheel paint. came out great. All 15x4.5 I didn't want the 5.5 inch problems on this one

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

I had my rims powder coated, but it was by a shop I've used for 25 years and they know how to do rims. I wouldn't hesitate to get another set done, just make sure the shop knows what they're doing.
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Did a little eye balling on the wheel fitment. Just like everyone said it's a tough fit for a lowered car. Will be pretty tight on the rear and not a snow balls chance in hell on the front. Need to debate on getting a set of 4.5 inch sprints for the front or bite the bullet on a type 1 conversion beam that's narrowed a bit. I want the car lowered but not super slammed. I know I know lol, I have read a lot of the debate on t3 vs t1 conversion, but damn I love the way these wheels look. The floor is yours folks, anyone with any experience with a t1 conversion, good or bad? Yes I have searched the topic and read a lot on it but I'd like some current comments if any are out there. Happy almost weekend!

dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

And thanks to everyone that gave advice on the wheels, they will not be powder coated. Possible painted to look fresh but that way i will have control over the lug area prep and finish.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

4.5's are a lot cheaper and easier

I suppose you have probably never driven a type 3. It's more like driving a Porsche and less like driving a covered wagon. It's so much better than a bug suspension I couldn't imagine going backwards on a car I was going to actually drive.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

This ^^^
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

If you want to narrow the front end - get in touch with Russell at Old Speed. He can narrow your control arms so you can keep the Type 3 front beam.
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Erik you are correct, only ever driven bugs. I do want to drive this thing a lot so I will keep the type 3 beam and give old speed a call(thanks ataraxia!) All the talk about how well the type 3s drive is good motivation to keep chipping away at it, thanks guys👍
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Hope everyone had a good holiday and new year! Been busy so not much done, but I got the driver side floor done. Passenger side should be done next week. Should be going for body work in a month or 2!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: