Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

There is one thread that was previously set up for Postal Yellow buses, but it started out as a poll as to whether the op should repaint or not and kind of grew with others posting pictures of postal yellow buses. I thought it was time to start a new thread just devoted to original postal yellow buses and the people who own one and/or love them. Please share your pictures and stories.
I am also interested in finding out more about postal yellow and how it got on buses that were not Deustche Bundespost (German Post Office) buses? I know this color was primarily for Deustche Bundespost buses and Fridolins. This postal yellow color also found it way onto some other buses including my Oct. 59 Double Cab that were not delivered to Germany and not post office vehicles . It has been found mostly on single cabs, panel buses, kombi's and even one one 23 window bus. The most prevalent years are 1957-1960 and panels and single cabs are the most common survivors. My double cab was delivered new to Portland, OR in the USA so it obviously was not an original Bundespost vehicle.
The postal yellow color was never listed on the brochures as an available color for buses. I am not sure if someone could walk into their VW dealership in the late 1950's and ask what special colors were available from the factory and order a bus to be built with all their options and a special color. I am not sure. The only thing I know is that postal yellow buses have survived in very low numbers. If you own one please post it on this thread with the build date and a photo or two so we can add it to the list of known buses.

Postal yellow buses were delivered with a Black emblem on the nose, black bumpers and black wheels which makes them a little unique from the other color schemes.

Please add to this thread with your photos and also stories of any new finds, or ones you parted out years ago.

Here is a photo of a postal yellow bus that appeared in a VW ad on a matchbook.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are a few photos of my Oct. 59 double cab.

Here is a photo from the gallery of a Bundespost bus that surfaced a few years ago in NV.

Here are a couple of nice panels from the gallery.

Here are two photos from the gallery of the one known 23 window bus in original paint postal yellow.

Last edited by ronjonlasvegas on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

Here is a photo I took last weekend of a postal yellow single cab that was in the swap meet section at the Vintage VW Treffen on 9/17/17.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

Postal Yellow buses are sweet. Not mine but one of the few known Barndoor Postal yellow buses, seen at EBI 2017 (pics shot by my buddy Maurice):

Last edited by srfndoc on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:18 am; edited 2 times in total
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Postal Yellow buses are sweet. Not mine but one of the few known Barndoor Postal yellow buses, seen at Hessisch Oldendorf 2017:

Thanks for posting those. Nice bus. I am not quite sure why that one does not have the barndoor engine lid. I know that barndoor era ambulances did not have the huge engine lid, but I was not aware that Bundespost panels did not have the large engine lid.
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
Here is a photo I took last weekend of a postal yellow single cab that was in the swap meet section at the Vintage VW Treffen on 9/17/17.

That looks like a Kemperink behind it!
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

That looks like a Kemperink behind it!

I think it is a Kemperink on the other side of the single cab.

Here are the only photos I have found so far of a fully restored Bundespost Bus and it was taken in the UK. I am not sure if this one was originally Postal or was just a tribute and restored in those colors.

Last edited by ronjonlasvegas on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

I love this truck.

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

Not what you asked for, but maybe its interesting too.
In Germany we had beside busses and Fridolins also lots of postal yellow beetles.
And as far as I know, the hubcaps were always painted yellow too.

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

zehbeh wrote:
In Germany we had beside busses and Fridolins also lots of postal yellow beetles.

Thank you for posting. I did know Bundespost beetles also came in the postal yellow color. I am not sure if those were cars for supervisors or if they were used for smaller cities with less mail.

You mentioned that that the Bundespost buses and beetles and Fridolins all came with yellow hubcaps, that is true. This is where it gets interesting is that all the other US delivered postal yellow buses that I have seen in person (including mine) were delivered with chrome hubcaps. You can see chrome hubcaps on the VW matchbook ad and my M code plate is coded for chrome hubcaps. This is unusual because commercial buses came with painted hubcaps as a general rule. The vast majority of the US delivered buses that came postal yellow were commercial buses, mostly single cabs and panels.

Last edited by ronjonlasvegas on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

The Bundespost beetles weren't for supervisors, the were, as expected correctly, for smaller an amount of mail. I remember them, only having a drivers seat, no passenger and no rear seats.
I am sure you also know the grey cars from the "Deutsche Bundespost". They look nice too.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

Excellent thread ronjonlasvegas, I didn't know about the yellow Beetles or the yellow hubcaps. Do I understand correctly that all export postal yellow buses going to the US were chrome hub caps not yellow?

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
zehbeh wrote:

Thank you for posting. I did know Bundespost beetles also came in the postal yellow color. I am not sure if those were cars for supervisors or if they were used for smaller cities with less mail.

You mentioned that that the Bundespost buses and beetles and Fridolins all came with yellow hubcaps, that is true. This is where it gets interesting is that all the other US delivered postal yellow buses that I have seen in person (including mine) were delivered with chrome hubcaps. You can see chrome hubcaps on the VW matchbook ad and my M code plate is coded for chrome hubcaps. This is unusual because commercial buses which came with painted hubcaps as a general rule. The vast majority of the US delivered buses that came postal yellow were commercial buses, mostly single cabs and panels.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
Postal Yellow buses are sweet. Not mine but one of the few known Barndoor Postal yellow buses, seen at Hessisch Oldendorf 2017:

Thanks for posting those. Nice bus. I am not quite sure why that one does not have the barndoor engine lid. I know that barndoor era ambulances did not have the huge engine lid, but I was not aware that Bundespost panels did not have the large engine lid.

I love that bus! That was actually at EBI and not HO (I shot those photos.) That bus is unique since barndoor ambulance's rear hatch opens at the top versus at the bottom like regular buses. The rear deck inside had special bracing from the factory that I've never seen before. Such a cool bus and James the owner was nice enough to tell us how he came upon it. While at EBI there was a Bundepost beetle driving around too.
Phil 4:13
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

[quote="LAGrunthaner"]Excellent thread ronjonlasvegas, I didn't know about the yellow Beetles or the yellow hubcaps. Do I understand correctly that all export postal yellow buses going to the US were chrome hub caps not yellow?

Thanks. I Can not confirm that all Postal Yellow buses that were exported to the US came with Chrome hubcaps, but that seems to be the norm. It is hard to say exactly because many of these buses were pre M code plate. Here is a scan of my Birth Certificate for my Postal Yellow and I have talked to three other people with Postal yellow US single cabs and a panel that all also came with chrome hubcaps. The VW advertising photo from the matchbook ad also shows Chrome hubcaps on a single cab.

mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

This is the same bus that had the Washington plates above but was originally delivered to Colorado. It was a US import as well, ordered by a gentleman that either owned a Caterpillar dealership or worked for them. Story goes, he wanted a bus in Caterpillar yellow but this was the closest that VW could provide and he ordered it. Also ordered double door option for it, crazy cool survivor. It now roams the streets of San Diego and surrounding areas along with the occasional jaunt up and down the California coast.
Phil 4:13
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

Here's another pic of the Postal Yellow 23-Window

My understanding is this was owned by a Caterpillar dealer too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

mg6770 wrote:

This is the same bus that had the Washington plates above but was originally delivered to Colorado. It was a US import as well, ordered by a gentleman that either owned a Caterpillar dealership or worked for them. Story goes, he wanted a bus in Caterpillar yellow but this was the closest that VW could provide and he ordered it. Also ordered double door option for it, crazy cool survivor. It now roams the streets of San Diego and surrounding areas along with the occasional jaunt up and down the California coast.

Thanks for posting, it is a great bus. Does yours have the M code 181 for Chrome hubcaps?
HappyTheMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

The May '57 postal yellow kombi

In the winter of 2002, one of our spotters reported in that a fence had blown down during the huge wind storm we just had. He dutifully informed us that there was a bus now visible in the yard. Just when you think you know about every one nearby, and expecting it to be a bay window or something, we quizzed him repeatedly. "Split front window right?" "I think so" he said. So, a mere mile away we saw this.

The owner curiously knew one thing. "You know it's a postal yellow right?" The back story was that it had been in eastern Washington for a long time and someone had been living in it. There was evidence of a stovepipe going through the roof, some kind of odd camper kit interior, one of those old '50s dashboard compasses, evidence of curtains, that kind of thing. Also the front pedestal had been covered rather professionally with some felt like material. Anyway, a deal was struck and it came home.

We commenced to remove the outer layer of paint to see what it looked like. The coat of paint on top was a brush and roll job in oil enamel. We quickly found out the yellow had been sanded in preparation for this home paint job. Many curse words were flung at whoever did it.

A gazillion hours, every chemical, grit and trick known to man, we got it to where it looked reasonably good. What yellow was left was very thin though. We knew that was going to be the case and had to just be as careful as we could be. All in all, it came out better than we expected.

We installed a running 36hp from stash and did a little brake work. After going through the electricals and a set of fresh tires, it was running around for the first time in who knows how long.

I should mention that all four wheels are original April '57, 3 being crows foot, with beautiful black paint. The white you see in the nose shot is underneath the yellow. This bus was primered in black, then a coat of white, then the postal yellow. Being an ex-painter, I know why this is. Yellow, especially in lacquer is translucent, meaning you can see through it. The white was necessary to brighten the yellow. It would have looked terrible over the black. Lastly, a view of the SK648 in the driver's side headlight bucket.

Cheers,
Happy
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

Nice save on the OG paint, that could not have been easy. Any plans to fix the rockers/dogleg and blend or just rockin it as is? Is there yellow stripe between the V and W on the front emblem?
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

HappyTheMan wrote:
The May '57 postal yellow kombi

In the winter of 2002, one of our spotters reported in that a fence had blown down during the huge wind storm we just had. He dutifully informed us that there was a bus now visible in the yard. Just when you think you know about every one nearby, and expecting it to be a bay window or something, we quizzed him repeatedly. "Split front window right?" "I think so" he said. So, a mere mile away we saw this.

The owner curiously knew one thing. "You know it's a postal yellow right?" The back story was that it had been in eastern Washington for a long time and someone had been living in it. There was evidence of a stovepipe going through the roof, some kind of odd camper kit interior, one of those old '50s dashboard compasses, evidence of curtains, that kind of thing. Also the front pedestal had been covered rather professionally with some felt like material. Anyway, a deal was struck and it came home.

We commenced to remove the outer layer of paint to see what it looked like. The coat of paint on top was a brush and roll job in oil enamel. We quickly found out the yellow had been sanded in preparation for this home paint job. Many curse words were flung at whoever did it.

A gazillion hours, every chemical, grit and trick known to man, we got it to where it looked reasonably good. What yellow was left was very thin though. We knew that was going to be the case and had to just be as careful as we could be. All in all, it came out better than we expected.

We installed a running 36hp from stash and did a little brake work. After going through the electricals and a set of fresh tires, it was running around for the first time in who knows how long.

I should mention that all four wheels are original April '57, 3 being crows foot, with beautiful black paint. The white you see in the nose shot is underneath the yellow. This bus was primered in black, then a coat of white, then the postal yellow. Being an ex-painter, I know why this is. Yellow, especially in lacquer is translucent, meaning you can see through it. The white was necessary to brighten the yellow. It would have looked terrible over the black. Lastly, a view of the SK648 in the driver's side headlight bucket.

Cheers,
Happy

The Kombi looks great, nice job. I know what you mean as I have spent well over 100 hours stripping the paint down on mine and I am not done yet. At some point VW changed the way they paint Postal Yellow as my double was built in Oct. 59 and it has a grey primer and then the yellow paint. Mine does not have black or white paints under the yellow.
HappyTheMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Postal Yellow and Deustche Bundespost Bus SK 648 Reply with quote

Unfortunately the front emblem was missing when we found it. We grabbed a spare and painted it black. I tried to make a trade with someone here who had an original black one, but he wanted to keep it and paint it a different color. That's okay. I have no idea if it would have had the yellow stripe. I've always wondered about that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: